MO MO - Angela Hammond, 20, Clinton, 4 Apr 1991

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
originally posted by gaia227

Angela Hammond - Clinton, MO
Angela Hammond was presumably abducted while talking to her bf on a payphone in a parking lot. She told him of a car that had pulled in and a man had gotten out with a flashlight. They continued talking and then her bf heard her scream and a man say "I didn't need to use the phone anyway." BF drove to the scene and claims he passed a car and heard Angela screaming - he followed the car but his own transmission went out.
There is nothing to corraborate his story. I have never heard if LE pulled the phone records to see if the BF really was on the phone with his GF like he said.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1299dfmo.html

I believe there's a thread about her already around here somewhere....at least I think there is. Her story was featured on Unsolved Mysteries as well.

The Angela Hammond disappearance is what originally brought me to Websleuths. I remember being so upset by her story on Unsolved Mysteries. I began doing Google searches trying to find out if she had ever been located. Strangely, I found a person's comment on a website that claimed that Angela had been found, so I e-mailed the poster to ask for details, but never received a response.

From what I recall of the UM episode, the boyfriend seemed very upset when describing the events of that night, and Angela's mom seemed sure that he wasn't to blame.

In the first couple of years after her disappearance there were quite a few eyewitness sightings of Hammond and the sightings were anywhere from St. Louis to Canada.

There are two important things that are not publicly known:
Who was the baby's father?
What strain did this pregnancy create among her own family at home?

Is it possible that Hammond staged the phone call and left on her own accord? Yes, but it still doesn't explain why she hasn't contacted anyone after almost 18 years.

I looked Angela's Unsolved Mysteries segment up on youtube. It is really weird. Why would she stop and make a phone call at night, all by herself? Why didn't she wait untill she got home to call him? I'm guessing there weren't any sightings of the strange man that night, before he took her. This is the first time that I'm hearing that she was expecting. I guess she could of run off and had the baby. I would think she would at least try to contact her family, after all these years.

Kenneth Allan McDuff has been mentioned in conjunction with Angela's disappearence. He was executed in Texas in the late 90's under another conviction. It is believed he killed at least 14 women and who knows how many others. He was in KC in the early 90's working as a garbage collector. He was featured on AMW for the murder of a woman in Texas and was arrested in KC. http://www.geocities.com/verbal_plainfield/i-p/mcduff.html

I remember reading somewhere that LE were waiting on the results of bones that were found in the area but I have never heard anything else about it.

Angela's Myspace
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=292572659

Link to Unsolved Mysteries on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nH7RgPY5Io

Angela Hammond's brother posted the following information on Angela's myspace:

"The Kansas City Star will be publishing an article in regard to new findings in my sisters abduction/murder that is a giant leap forward into solving our case. The article will be written by Tony Rizzo of the Kansas City Star and will be featured in Sunday the 5th or Monday the 6th of April's newspaper. A secondary article is also going to be published soon in the Springfield News-Leader however the date is still unknown. Please keep your eyes and ears open and pass the word on to anyone you know that may pay an interest into the solving of this heinous crime.

**PLEASE DO A SMALL PART TO HELP SOLVE MY CASE BY RE-POSTING THIS BULLETIN ON YOUR PAGES (MS OR FB) SO THAT WE CAN SPREAD MUCH NEEDED AWARENESS!!!

**PLEASE ALSO ADD US TO YOUR FRIENDS LIST!!!

**REMEMBER; ANY MEDIA, GOOD OR BAD, IS GOOD MEDIA!!!

Thank you and God Bless,

Loren Hammond

(lil bro)

PS: I will send updates as necessary and also try to post the articles/clips on my MySpace and Facebook pages.

www.myspace.com/angelamariehammond

www.facebook.com/people/angela-marie-hammond/1637589229

www.angelamariehammond@gmail.com

http://www.unsolved.com/ajaxfiles/mis_angela_hammond.htm

www.kansascitystar.com"

If the description is correct the truck was very distinct. I am surprised that no one remembered seeing it before or after the abduction. I wonder if the perp was not from the area.

If the bf is telling the truth what horrible luck his transmission gave out. I have never been able to get over that.

If the description is correct the truck was very distinct. I am surprised that no one remembered seeing it before or after the abduction. I wonder if the perp was not from the area.

If the bf is telling the truth what horrible luck his transmission gave out. I have never been able to get over that.

Good point--one which has to be raised about the bf. But I would assume the authorities checked his vehicle to see if the transmission had, indeed, gone out. His story did always cause a distinct beeping sound in my hinky-meter, though, just because of the exact and vivid details.

http://www.kctv5.com/news/19106246/detail.html

New Leads Possible In Missing Woman Case
New Forensic Tests May Help In Cold Case

POSTED: 11:13 am CDT April 6, 2009
UPDATED: 1:41 pm CDT April 6, 2009

CLINTON, Mo. -- Eighteen years after a 20-year-old pregnant woman went missing from a west-central Missouri town, police continue to investigate after technology has turned up new leads.

Advances in DNA testing and other forensics have police in Clinton saying they're optimistic about the continued investigation of the 1991 disappearance of Angela Hammond.
snip

If they have evidence it must have been collected from Angie's car. I am sure some kind of a struggle took place near or even in her car and surely her car was processed for evidence. Unless, that is all a lie and they have collected evidence elsewhere like at her boyfriend's home......

I have never read anywhere if LE were able to trace the phone calls to see if that conversation on the payphone actually took place. Has anyone read anything regarding the phone records?

I am of the belief that the guys that abducted, raped and murdered Trudy Darby are the same ones who abducted Angela Hammond, as well as the girl from the Neveda Convienance Store. They admitted that the cops hadn't found out about "everything" they had done or they'd be facing the death penalty. All three of these crimes were committed with in aprox. 80miles of each other. They all fit the same M.O. for the most part. The Trudy Darby Murder happened at Macks Creek. One of the guys that was convicted of that murder stated that they had burned a barn to the ground that held evidence in other crimes. I think that these guys were responsable for at least a couple of murders, and one of the guys definatly fit the description of the scruffy guy Angela Hammond described to her boyfriend on the phone. Do some research into the Trudy Darby Murder at Mack Creek and let me know what you think. They all occurred around the same time period.

I think that may be a likely possibility monkeyman. The guys who killed Trudy are such scum bags. The letters Jesse wrote outlining what happened, the way he described what they did to her, the names he called her when recalling the murder were just sickening.

Court documents detailing Trudy's murder:
http://www.courts.mo.gov/file/Opinion_SD21014.rtf

She is mentioned in conjunction with Angela and Cheryl Kenney the other murdered convenient store worker.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hammond_angela.html

Yea...they were quit a group of Oxygen Thief's hunh. The letters pretty much sum up any remorse that he might have had..."WHICH WAS NONE!"
He had implyed that there were other murders that they never got caught for. I sometimes wonder if they had anything to do with the Three Missing Springfield Women case that happened June 7, 1992. It would definatly fit the time line of when they were out there committing murders.
It would be interesting to find out where the "Barn" that they had Greg Cheivers burn down was. I'll bet a million bucks that there is still some evidence left buried there from their "Other" crimes! Let me know what you think about all this.

Incidently...even though he inplicated the Cheiver Brothers, neither of them was ever charged in the Darby Murder. Ie. They're still out there...Killers Walking Among Us!

Unfortunately I don't think LE could arrest the Chever brothers based on Jesse's account alone so those scum bags are still walking around most likely being a complete nuisance to society.

I think they are definitely worth taking a look at in the Levitt, Streeter, McCall abduction but my gut tells me it wasn't them. IF they are responsible for the ohter two they are suspected of then their M.O. is targeting women who are in public and alone. Whoever took the three women made entry into the home and was able to get them out of there with out a struggle, it just seems to organized for them. They are not very smart guys......
However, they could have been gaining confidence, getting bored with just one female victim, spotted the two girls on their way home and followed them, or saw all three of them at Georges (not confirmed sighting but IF it is true) and followed them. Or they could have already made entry to the house and subdued Sherrill before the girls showed up. There are many possibilities but I still don't think it was them. I have always felt the three women were taken by someone they knew and I think Sherrill was the intended target. The fact the abduction happened on a night when the girls were supposed to be gone all night raises that suspicion.

http://www.unsolved.com/ajaxfiles/mis_angela_hammond.htm
Angela Hammond Girl abducted from phone booth - Sitcoms Online Message Boards

DOB: 2/9/71
Height: 4’11” to 5’
Weight: 120 to 140 lbs.
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Brown
Remarks: A $16,000 reward is being offered for leads in this case. Abductor was a filthy, bearded man who wore glasses and overalls. He drove a late 1960s or early 1970s two-tone green Ford pickup truck. The back window was completely covered by a decal of a fish jumping out of water.

CASE DETAILS

The suspect’s truck had a decal on the window

Clinton, Missouri is a quiet farming town in the heart of America. Normally, the peaceful region feels insulated from big city crime. But that sense of security was shattered after a popular young woman was abducted and possibly murdered.

Angela Hammond was an outgoing 20-year-old known to everyone as Angie. Her fiancé, Rob Shafer, was a star athlete in high school. When he gave Angie a diamond engagement ring, he promised to always take care of her.

Following a barbecue on the evening of April 4, 1991, Angie dropped Rob off at his house and said that she would call him a few hours later. According to Rob:

"That was about ten o'clock. I was going to meet her back uptown as soon as my mom got home. I was watching my little brother at the time. And she called later on that night."

As promised, Angie called Rob about an hour later from a payphone in the center of town. She was just seven blocks from his home. According to Rob, Angie mentioned a truck had circled the block a few times:

"She said it was an older model green Ford pickup truck."

Angie's kidnapping stunned the community

Angie was unconcerned until the truck parked by the phone booth. Then the call took a disturbing turn:

"He used the phone next to her, got back in his truck, and looked at something with a flashlight. She described the flashlight to me over the phone. He was looking for something. I had her ask him if he needed to use the phone. Maybe the other phone was broken. And he said, no, he'd try again in a minute. Then we just talked about other things. We weren't too worried about it. And that's when I heard her scream on the phone. I heard her scream. The only thing that went through my mind was getting up there and finding out what the hell was going on. I just dropped the phone and ran out of the house. I didn't hang the phone back up, and just headed up there.

As Robbie was driving towards the pay phone, a pick up truck sped past in the other direction:

"Somebody yelled out the window, "Robbie!" That's how I knew it was them."

Rob turned around on the street and chased the pickup through downtown. But he didn't realize that when he threw his car into reverse, the transmission had been severely damaged. Rob said that he chased the pick up for two miles before the transmission failed:

"It started dying as I was making my right turn. This guy turned off to the right. All I saw was his brake lights and dust."

Marsha Cook is Angie's mother:

"Rob blamed himself for it because he always told her he'd be there to take care of her. And he tried. He did everything that could be done. Nobody blames him, but I think he thinks that people blame him."

Rob said that he often still thinks of that night:

"The beginning is the hardest because you know you were close enough to get him, but you just didn't get the job done. And you still wake up at nights, wondering where she's at, wondering what happened, wondering if anybody's still looking. You're just wondering all the time."

Angie's kidnapping sent shock waves through the town. The police and citizens searched far and wide, by both air and land, but found nothing. The best hope for cracking the case rested on locating the pick up truck. According to Detective Damon Parsons of the Clinton Police Department:

"We had some assistance from the Missouri state highway patrol that did a computer search on all registered vehicles. Through their help, we had 1,600 possibilities that we had to check as far as color and whether they had any mural in the back window."

But none of the possibilities were a match. The police had based their investigation on Rob Shafer's testimony. And when no witnesses could back up his story, Rob himself became a suspect. But Angie's mother, Marsha, said she never suspected him:

"I think it was natural that people wondered, 'Did the boyfriend do it?' But my feeling was, I've known the kid all his life, and I never doubted for a minute that he had anything to do with it."

Within a week, Rob was cleared. Shortly after, police connected Angie's abduction to two other unsolved cases within a hundred-miles of Clinton. The first had occurred three months earlier near Macks Creek, Missouri.

On January 19,1991, forty-two-year-old Trudy Darby was working alone in a convenience store. She called her son to report a suspicious man loitering outside. Trudy's son hurried to the store but found it deserted after just ten minutes. Two days later, Trudy was found on a riverbank ten miles from the store. She had been fatally shot twice in the head.

About a month later, 30-year-old Cheryl Ann Kenney was reported missing in Nevada, Missouri, roughly 70 miles from where the body of Trudy Darby had been found. On February 28, 1991, Cheryl Ann had also vanished from a convenience store where she worked. She has not been seen since. Then, less than one month after that, Angie Hammond was abducted. Det. Parsons thinks the three cases are linked:

"If Angela is found, it might provide a link that relates to, for example, Trudy Darby. Or if Cheryl's found, maybe that will be a connection to Trudy Darby and how she was murdered."

Authorities suspected that a serial killer was on the loose in west-central Missouri. Angie's mother Marsha said that she just wants answers:

"If anybody out there sees anything, if they could put themselves in our place and know how we feel and how heart-wrenching it is that she was taken. Even if the guy that took her sees this, if he would just call and let them know what he did with her."

Could someone repost the link to the court documents detailing Trudy's murder and who are the Cheiver brothers?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back