OH OH - Methal Dayem, 22, Independence, 8 January 1999

marion

Reaction score
Moved from LTWH, originally posted by Irish_Eyes

Irish_Eyes said:
Unsolved: Methal Dayem, murdered 10 years ago, age 22. Last seen leaving her job at Aladdin's Eatery in Independence, Ohio. Found in West Cleveland at a stoplight, laying outside her car which was stopped at a light. Shot multiple times. Cousins Musah Saleh and Yazen Dayem were arrested and charged with her murder, but charges were later dropped for lack of evidence. Methal was a well liked student at Cleveland State University, working to help put herself through school. To date, no one has been held accountable for Methal's death.

Involvement of the cousins make it sound like one of those "honor" killings that occur in some cultures when a woman doesn't want to marry the man her family has chosen for her or has committed a similar "offense".

Karl, this was the prosecution's theory also. At first I wasn't sure. Our high school had a significant Arabic population and the students varied widely, with some of the girls wearing traditional Arab dress including head coverings. Methal wore jeans and sweaters or rugby's - pretty much what me and my other friends wore, and she never wore a head scarf, so I assumed her family did not adhere to the stricter interpretations of Muslim law. We weren't best friends, or anything, we didn't socialize outside of school, but we often ate lunch together with a group of mutual friends...it's so sad to me that someone with so much promise is gone so young, and no one has been held accountable...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back