Saturday Night Special: Biggest Full Moon of 2009 (Already!)

Dark Knight

Reaction score
If skies are clear Saturday, go out at sunset and look for the giant moon rising in the east. It will be the biggest and brightest one of 2009, sure to wow even seasoned observers.

Earth, the moon and the sun are all bound together by gravity, which keeps us going around the sun and keeps the moon going around us as it goes through phases. The moon makes a trip around Earth every 29.5 days.

But the orbit is not a perfect circle. One portion is about 31,000 miles (50,000 km) closer to our planet than the farthest part, so the moon's apparent size in the sky changes. Saturday night (Jan. 10) the moon will be at perigee, the closest point to us on this orbit.

It will appear about 14 percent bigger in our sky and 30 percent brighter than some other full moons during 2009, according to NASA. (A similar setup occurred in December, making that month's full moon the largest of 2008.)

Tides will be higher, too.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20090109/sc_space/saturdaynightspecialbiggestfullmoonof2009

If skies are clear Saturday, go out at sunset and look for the giant moon rising in the east. It will be the biggest and brightest one of 2009, sure to wow even seasoned observers.

Earth, the moon and the sun are all bound together by gravity, which keeps us going around the sun and keeps the moon going around us as it goes through phases. The moon makes a trip around Earth every 29.5 days.

But the orbit is not a perfect circle. One portion is about 31,000 miles (50,000 km) closer to our planet than the farthest part, so the moon's apparent size in the sky changes. Saturday night (Jan. 10) the moon will be at perigee, the closest point to us on this orbit.

It will appear about 14 percent bigger in our sky and 30 percent brighter than some other full moons during 2009, according to NASA. (A similar setup occurred in December, making that month's full moon the largest of 2008.)

Tides will be higher, too.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20090109/sc_space/saturdaynightspecialbiggestfullmoonof2009
-----------
Hi DK. I'd love to see it but doubt I will.We have about 6" of snow and due for much more~snowed in! Darn moon!!

DK- Thanks for the reminder. I knew it was a full moon tonight, however, I will definetly be out to check it out since it is to be special.

Hi Dark Knight and Nore,

Hey, thanks for the OP DK ;} This must be the Perigee that I read about yesterday. Fascinatin', isn't it?

In the Pacific Northwest we will be socked in tonight with a 30% chance of rain.

But I hope anyone living under clear skies will report back to us. YaYa

XOX

It was beautiful. I read the article yesterday afternoon, then forgot about it. Then I went in the backyard to see what the dogs were barking at and the whole sky and yard were lit up, but I couldn't see the moon from there. So I went to the front yard, and there was Mrs. Moon, shining brightly in all her glory, right outside my front door! Awesome! It lit up the whole street and yard and sky.

The moon looks amazing tonight too.

Hope this works:

090110_mooncastel_l_tar.jpg

ETA: Sorry it blew the margins. Maybe a Mod knows how to adjust the link ;} It is such an incredible photo, the moon over a Greek castle.

Whoa, I looked out and it is just phenomenal! Huge moon.

Since I live on the water, the reflection is huge also; much wider than the usual.

We caught the moon tonight coming up and it was sitting right above the horizon. The kids were so impressed! :)

We have been in the middle of a winter storm, but the Lord blessed us with an unexpected break in the clouds for several hours last night, so we got to see it after all! It was very bright! Even when there were some clouds it cast shadows!

Unfortunately, the clouds robbed me of shooting it, last night.

I didnt get a chance to see it Saturday as we were having a snowstorm, but I was awoken by my dogs barking at it at 4 am this morning. Wow, it lit up the whole neighborhood! It was especially bright with all the new snow.

Now if I could just get the Ozzy song "Bark at the Moon" outta my head.

We have snow on the ground, yet were still able to see it, it was beautiful!

I work in a State Mental facility and the poor patients are bouncing off the walls right now.

Unfortunately, the clouds robbed me of shooting it, last night.

I was afraid of that. :( At best we could only see bright light shining behind the clouds. Just warm enough for the rain not to be snow, either. grrr

Wow, spectacular photo, Scandi. Thanks for finding this!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back