GUILTY MO - Cara Roberts, 30, Harrisonville, 5 Nov 2008

bikerbich

Reaction score
Cara Jo Roberts was found murdered in her home in Harrisonville, Mo on November 5, 2008. The police have released a sketch of a possible suspect. Please use this link to read her story and view the sketch.justiceforcararoberts.com Someone has to know something. Her husband, son, and family deserve justice.

Such a sad case. I live close to Harrisonville and this is the first i have heard of it.
My prayers go out to Cara and her family and i pray they will find justice.
Reposting this full link...
http://justiceforcararoberts.com/

Thank you for reposting that web link for me. Newbie her, obviously :) My kids were friends with Cara and the whole Roberts family. Hopefully, something will break soon.

Thank you for reposting that web link for me. Newbie her, obviously :) My kids were friends with Cara and the whole Roberts family. Hopefully, something will break soon.

I was reading up on this case a little today. I read on alot of blogs and such some people are wondering about her boss Robert Orr and his business troubles. He does resemble the sketch somewhat. What are some of the rumors going around Harrisonville about this? Do they think he is involved in some way or are rumors now going in another direction?
It seems to me that Harrisonville PD is keeping a tight lid on this case. Im sure there is alot more info they are not releasing to the public. I cant help but wonder why and why there has not been more news coverage of this case.
Such a terrible tragedy for what seems like such a wonderful and caring woman and her family.

Btw... Welcome to WS!!! :)

I don't want to name names. But Cara did work in the legal department at Brooke Insurance in Overland Park, KS. She had just been let go from there. Brooke Insurance has filed bankruptcy and is also now being investigated by the FBI. Rumor has it that Cara knew who the person was...... makes you wonder, doesn't it. LE isn't saying one way or the other. Talk is that someone in Brooke could very well have been involved. Makes me ill to think that someone could do this to such a sweet person.

It has been more than two months since Cara Jo Roberts was found murdered in her home and the Har­risonville Police Department continues to devote a significant portion of its resources to solving the crime.
One vital component still missing in the investigation, according to police chief John Hofer, is motive.
Hofer said leads continue to come to HPD though not nearly as many as were flooding in at the beginning of the investigation. Nevertheless, Hofer said the homicide “is priority one of the Harrisonville Police Department and we are committed to solve it and bring someone to justice.”
More at link..
http://www.democratmissourian.com/100/story/3596.html

ETA...
When asked if the investigation has followed any of the myriad community-generated rumors about who killed Roberts and why, motives and suspects, Hofer would speak only to the rumors that attempt to link Roberts’ murder with her former employer, Brooke Corporation/Brooke Capitol Corporation, currently being investigated by the FBI. Hofer said HPD “tracked several leads and doesn’t believe, at this time, any of the leads connect Brooke to Roberts’ death.”

I wonder what kind of information he has that he would so quickly rule out that connection?

I read that, too. I don't know what's going on. If I remember correctly, he also stated that they are making progress. Wish they would release more info.

I can't find to much about this awful crime but surely there must be some evidence from the crime scene.
There are reports there was a struggle in the house and that usually means there is forensic evidence.
There are ways to use such evidence to eliminate a suspect or confirm suspicions about a suspect.

I have also read where there could be three people involved. Keep in mind that was a post at a web site.

It is a major concern when an investigation appears to have stalled.
I hope LE are on to someone.

I hadn't read or heard that there are possibly three people involved. Had heard that she possibly knew her attacker, as there were no signs of forced entry. This is a very quiet middle income neighborhood. Nice houses, and mostly families and older people. Very close to the high school and the city park. Crime is not supposed to happen here.....

Trial begins for retired cop in Harrisonville woman's death. Jeffrey Moreland tried to throw off investigators with bogus DNA sample, prosecutors say. On the first day of 54-year-old Jeffrey Dean Moreland's murder trial, the courtroom heard from the victim's family. Her husband and her father both took the stand. Cass County prosecutors began opening statements saying it was Moreland who murdered Roberts five years ago. Roberts was found face down in a bathtub in her Harrisonville home. Authorities said she had been sexually assaulted and shot in the back of the head. It was her husband, Jeff Roberts, who found her after he went to check on her because she hadn't picked up their 2-year-old from the babysitter, and her father could not reach her by phone.

Cara Jo Roberts' father, Roger Keefer, said he went to his daughter's home and noticed the door was partially opened, but he thought maybe she had taken her son to the park. He left. Little did he know, his daughter had been brutally assaulted and killed.

Moreland's defense attorney asked specific questions about the timeline of several witnesses. He asked what time her husband found her and the whereabouts of their neighbor. But prosecutors made it clear, through phone records and other witnesses, that neither Cara Jo Roberts' husband nor their neighbor were with her at the time of her death.

It was revealed in testimony Tuesday that Moreland joined Jeff Roberts' bowling league a year after his wife's death.

Moreland was a police officer in Grandview from 1984 until his retirement in 2005. He was tied to Roberts' death and an October 2010 Jackson County slaying through DNA collected from the sexual assault of 75-year-old Nina Whitney, another Harrisonville woman, in June 2011.

Whitney had been stabbed 22 times and strangled.

The jury was brought in from central Missouri's Boone County.

Thanks Bikerbich for posting about this case. I hadn't heard about this, such a sad thing to happen to a young women like Cara Jo. I am glad they found and convicted her killer.

I found a article on Fox 4 KC I thought I would post.

HARRISONVILLE, Mo. — Former Grandview police officer Jeffrey Moreland was found guilty of first-degree murder and armed criminal action by a Cass County jury on Thursday.

Moreland, 54, was accused of killing Cara Jo Roberts, 30, who was found murdered in her home in November 2008.

http://fox4kc.com/2013/09/12/jury-deciding-if-former-grandview-police-officer-is-guilty-of-murder/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbisme
Back