GUILTY AL - Tonya Stephens, 30, Moundville, 4 January 2009

Tonia

Reaction score
While police say they don't suspect foul play in the disappearance of a Moundville woman, her friends and family say that there's no other explanation.

Tonya Hyche Stephens, 30, last spoke to her best friend, Melinda Berryhill, on the night of Sunday, Jan. 4.

Berryhill said Stephens was on her way to pick up her son, Gabe, from her ex-husband's house in Gordo, where the boy had stayed for the weekend.

'I was the last person who talked to her, on the phone around 6:45,' said Berryhill, 33. 'She was going to stay with me that night. I started trying to call her at 8 and couldn't get her.'

Berryhill said she drove to the ex-husband's house, but didn't find her there, although her car was parked in front of the house, she said.

'We definitely suspect that something happened,' she said. 'She's never left and not told anybody where she's going. She would not leave her baby.'

The baby is now staying with Stephens' ex-husband.

Stephens was told years ago that she was infertile, Berryhill said, and was thrilled when she became pregnant with Gabe, who turns 2 on Feb. 12. Stephens quit her job working in Moundville's water department to stay home with him when he was born.

Stephens had gone to church in Greensboro with her grandparents earlier that day and visited a friend there, Berryhill said.

Since her disappearance, volunteers have gathered at Moundville Church of the Nazarene before setting out to search different locations in Moundville, Pickens County and Tuscaloosa County.

Searching has been easier now that the water levels of rivers and streams are receding after last week's heavy rains, she said.

Jody Brooks has taken time off from her job with an ambulance service in Selma to look for her daughter. She suspects her daughter is a victim of foul play, but remains optimistic.

'You never give up on your child,' she said. 'None of us is going to stop searching until we find her. We know that God is going to lead us to her.'

Brooks said that many volunteers have taken off work to search for her daughter and even more have sent cards and letters of encouragement.

'I have no words to express how much I appreciate what everyone has done,' she said.

Anyone wishing to donate to the search effort can contact the Bank of Moundville about the Tonya Hyche Stephens fund. The family intends to use the fund for reward money or expenses to provide supplies for the searchers. Mail can be sent to the family at P.O. Box. 200, Moundville, AL, 35474.

Reach Stephanie Taylor at stephanie.taylor@tuscaloosa news.com or 205-722-0210.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...pect_foul_play

This is the odd part to me:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...pect_foul_play
Berryhill said Stephens was on her way to pick up her son, Gabe, from her ex-husband's house in Gordo, where the boy had stayed for the weekend.

'I was the last person who talked to her, on the phone around 6:45,' said Berryhill, 33. 'She was going to stay with me that night. I started trying to call her at 8 and couldn't get her.'

Berryhill said she drove to the ex-husband's house, but didn't find her there, although her car was parked in front of the house, she said.

This link says her car was at her home...
http://www.abc3340.com/news/stories/0109/584944.html
Tonya's MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/luvlylittlelump

It shows her last login was the 12th which is also weird unless it was by LE and I wonder what prompted her friend to start calling her an hour and fifteen minutes after she had talked to her and to go look for her....

In that ABC story Tonya's ex-husband says "told authorities that she told him she was going on a trip, perhaps a vacation of some sort"

But she didn't tell her best friend or her Mother?

I saw the login too. Someone named Todd is her first friend on her list and if you read his profile he says he's the babies father? Is that her ex?

Yes it is. He has the little boy now.

I'm sorry Tonia, but I can't type what I'm thinking right now after looking at her myspace and seeing the pages and pages of only pictures of her son.

She would never leave that baby is what I think.

I dont think so either,she couldn't have kids. The doctors said she was infertile. She used to be really big and she had a gastric bypass to lose weight. She lost weight and then found out she was pregnant. I found some comments written by her to the surgical staff and after reading it you can clearly tell how overly joyed and happy she was about having that little boy.

http://freemanandco.com/profile.php?N=S1114459545

I think we may have an answer :
The husband says she told him "she was going to take a vacation?".
DOESN'T SOUND TOO GOOD....

She indicated on her profile at myspace that she is in a relationship. Wonder if that is accurate? Or did she just check that slot in order to keep men at bay. If she is, I wonder who she is dating?

Her blogs are an interesting insight to a small fraction of who she is and how she was feeling back last summer. Short and sweet.

Im not sure about the relationship part,it also says he is to. I did notice in her little family thing is just the three of them.

How could the police not suspect foul play? Who would go on a "trip" without their cell phone? I have read several articles in the local paper about this case (tuscaloosa area) and this sounds very fishy!

According to her mom,they talked everyday. She didn't tell her mom or her best friend. The thing thats bugging me is her best friend called her and hour and 15 min. after she talked to her on the phone that day and started to look for her. Something prompted her to do this.

I spoke with someone this morning about this case and while i cant say who, this person said that the police were called to her house several times while they were together for domestic violence from the husband. Also when the police went to the house they found
a knife and duct tape on the kitchen table and a portion of the carpet cut out in the living room. Ex-husband said Tonya had spilled something on the carpet and could not get the odor out so she cut the spot out of the carpet.However forensics did take duct tape, garbage bags, and carpet fibers in the event that something is discovered. She as filed restraining orders and he has told her on many occasions that he would kill her if she tried to leave. The ex is not letting the family see the the baby.

I spoke with someone this morning about this case and while i cant say who, this person said that the police were called to her house several times while they were together for domestic violence from the husband. Also when the police went to the house they found
a knife and duct tape on the kitchen table and a portion of the carpet cut out in the living room. Ex-husband said Tonya had spilled something on the carpet and could not get the odor out so she cut the spot out of the carpet.However forensics did take duct tape, garbage bags, and carpet fibers in the event that something is discovered. She as filed restraining orders and he has told her on many occasions that he would kill her if she tried to leave. The ex is not letting the family see the the baby.

Okay, she took a vacation without telling her best friend and her mother per her husband. Now, she spilled something on the carpet and decided to cut the smelly part out? Okay ladies, how many times have you opted to cut a portion of your carpeting out because it had a smell you couldn't get rid of? Lordy be...sorry for the rant.

I just found this.

Body of missing woman found in west Ala.
1/15/2009, 12:47 p.m. CST
The Associated Press

MOUNDVILLE, Ala. (AP) — Authorities in west Alabama have found a body believed to be that of a woman who has been missing since early this month.

Moundville Police Chief Ken Robertson said Wednesday a body found overnight in Pickens County was believed to be the remains of 30-year-old Tonya Stephens of Moundville.

The chief said one person was jailed in her death, but charges were not filed immediately.

Stephens was last seen on Jan. 4. A friend said she last spoke to her while Stephens was driving to the home of her former husband, Todd Stephens, to pick up their son after a weekend visit.

Stephens lives in Gordo, the same area where police say the body was located.

http://www.al.com/newsflash/regional...st=alabamanews

That poor baby without his mother and most likely the father did it even though it dosen't directly state it. I feel so bad for this child to grow up knowing this.

Poor baby:( his mother is gone.

GHEE...none of us here are surprised. He tells the Drew Peterson type of story and expects LE to believe it?!#! My heart goes out to his parents though. Like KC, so many lives ruined.

Hopefully the baby ends up w/her parents. Poor little thing.

May Tonya Stephens rest in peace knowing JUSTICE will be served.

From February 2014:

http://www.gadsdentimes.com/article/TL/20140221/NEWS/140229940/0/www.theatre.ua.edu

A Gordo man accused of killing and dismembering his ex-wife's body was sentenced Friday to serve 25 years in prison.

A jury convicted David Todd Stephens, 37, of manslaughter and abuse of a corpse after a jury trial held in Hale County Circuit Court in October.

Stephens was convicted of killing Tonya Hyche Stephens and setting her body on fire before burying her near his parents' house in Pickens County. An autopsy revealed that she had been stabbed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back