Big coffee drinkers hallucinate more: study

Dark Knight

Reaction score
LONDON (AFP) – People who drink more than seven cups of coffee a day tend to hallucinate more than less caffeine-driven colleagues, according to a study published Wednesday.

Those with a high caffeine intake are three times more likely to have heard a non-existent person's voice than those who drink one cup a day, said the research by psychologists at Durham University.

But the study noted that the tendency to hear voices or have other hallucinations may not be caused by caffeine, but simply reflect the kind of people who drink lots of coffee.

"This is a first step towards looking at the wider factors associated with hallucinations," said Simon Jones, the PhD student who led the study.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090114/hl_afp/britainhealthcoffeepsychology

LONDON (AFP) – People who drink more than seven cups of coffee a day tend to hallucinate more than less caffeine-driven colleagues, according to a study published Wednesday.

Those with a high caffeine intake are three times more likely to have heard a non-existent person's voice than those who drink one cup a day, said the research by psychologists at Durham University.

But the study noted that the tendency to hear voices or have other hallucinations may not be caused by caffeine, but simply reflect the kind of people who drink lots of coffee.

"This is a first step towards looking at the wider factors associated with hallucinations," said Simon Jones, the PhD student who led the study.

Still looking for a justifiable reason for those voices you hear DK???

Very interesting! I have never considered it "hallucinating," but I do occasionally think I hear someone call "Mom" or "Mommy!" I also still sometimes think I hear the dog barking or scratching at the door to go out/come in, even though he went to the rainbow bridge in August.

I had these things happen (waking in the night thinking I heard one of the kids calling) even during the year I swore off caffeine, so the bolded sentence grabbed my attention.

Does anyone else really think of those things as hallucinating, or is that just a side effect of motherhood, as I've always thought?

I think it's a side effect of motherhod Angelmom. I don't think I have ever had that much coffee in my life and I occasionally hear the kiddo's calling when they are not.
7 cups a day is just plain excessive, imo. Anything you consume in excess is destined to have negative side effects.

angelmom, I also sometimes think I hear someone saying my name! If seven cups a day is a big coffee drinker, I guess I'm more moderate -- I drink about five cups a day. I'll try to up the consumtion and see what happens!

I was too scared to try LSD back in the old days, but maybe I'll give this a try. JK.

Eve

I hear my kids calling me or the dogs barking as well...and the cat meowing. However, this article explains some of the bosses I've had over the years....

LOL thanks for the post, DK. I was coming online to post this today, and you beat me to it. I saw this and promptly had this convo with my husband at 7:30 AM today:

me: "Hey honey you know how you drink more than 6 cups of coffee each day?"

him: "Yep! You know I love my coffee"

me: "Well new studies say it can make you hallucinate. See? your dog allergies aren't real after all!"

him: "I'm late for work."

:chicken:

Seven cups of coffee daily seems like a lot. I probably have four and switch to hot tea in the evenings. I wonder if the caffeine in tea has an effect too. I usually drink it up until an hour or two before I go to bed and many nights as I am falling asleep I hear voices - people saying my name, random sounds ranging from chainsaws to music, I will start to drift off and then jerk awake thinking someone is in the room, etc, etc. I just thought I was nuts but maybe it is the caffeine intake before bed.

I dont EVER drink coffee and i hallucinate all the time!

I always hear my ringtone for my cell phone go off when it really hasnt.

I always see people on campus that didnt even go to class that day.

I hear my name out in public when no one is calling my name.

When im driving on the highway at night i swear i ALWAYS see people walking! I've actually SLAMMED on my breaks in the middle of the highway going around 80 mph because i thought there was a man in a black coat with white scarf about to walk across the highway. :eek: There was nothing there.

I could go on and on...Im a strange person!

The only time I actually hallucinated was with a newborn. If sleeping with my eyes open was considered hallucinating. I think I had 9 hours of sleep at most over about 5 days.... and man, was I tired.

I do hear mom, or anything that sounds like mom, coughing, crying, the neighbors ( we are in an attached TH)

I don't think any of it was contributed to coffee, just lack of sleep.

Keep in mind when they said 7 cups, they are talking about actual, REGULAR cups. If you are drinking those large styrofoam containers, especially with cappucino, or any other large beverage holder (thermos, etc) you are drinking more than one cup each time.

No matter how much coffee I drink, I just can't seem to bring on the hallucinations. Guess I'll have to switch back to mushrooms...

Keep in mind when they said 7 cups, they are talking about actual, REGULAR cups. If you are drinking those large styrofoam containers, especially with cappucino, or any other large beverage holder (thermos, etc) you are drinking more than one cup each time.

So, are they talking 8oz cups? If they are, then that means if I have two mugs, I'm only drinking 32ozs. Which is only "4" of what they are talking about for me. Omg...**now** what will be my excuse for the voices???

Crap.....

Maybe some mentally ill people are self medicating with lots of coffee and suffering lack of sleep.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back