Joaquin Phoenix Debuts Rap Career In Vegas

Dark Knight

Reaction score
LAS VEGAS, Nev. -- Joaquin Phoenix may be best known for playing country legend Johnny Cash, but it's hip-hop that the actor has turned to for a second career.

Having announced his retirement from acting last year, Joaquin was spotted on stage at Lavo in Las Vegas on Friday, where he showed off some new material - and his MC skills.

In videos posted to YouTube, Joaquin took the stage in a beanie, sunglasses and a heavy beard as he rhymed over drum beats.

It looked like he was playing another character -- but the aspiring rapper told People before he took the stage that it was no act.

"This is me saying this is who I am," he told the mag. "This is my story."

A photo at this link:
omg-spacer-1.0.0.gif

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/joaquin-phoenix-debuts-rap-career-in-vegas/17807

omg-spacer-1.0.0.gif

Well.. at least his sister, Rain, has a good band, 'Paper Cranes'..

After all, their family has been through a lot, i believe they were part of a cult with their parents when they were children, then River killed himself..

Why did he say he was giving up acting, anyway? I think he is a very talented actor. Remember his performance in Gladiator? Wow. I think he was miffed he didn't get an AA for Walk the Line.

Eve

Why did he say he was giving up acting, anyway? I think he is a very talented actor. Remember his performance in Gladiator? Wow. I think he was miffed he didn't get an AA for Walk the Line.

Eve

Eve,

He checked himself into treatment for alcoholism after Walk the Line. Given this rap performance, I'm wondering if he has fallen off the wagon (as well as the stage).

Eve,

He checked himself into treatment for alcoholism after Walk the Line. Given this rap performance, I'm wondering if he has fallen off the wagon (as well as the stage).

I am hoping this is some kind of spoof or mockumentary, seriously, this makes me sad. I really think he is a talented guy. Wow.

Eve

I am hoping this is some kind of spoof or mockumentary, seriously, this makes me sad. I really think he is a talented guy. Wow.

Eve

He is an amazing actor - has always been one of my favorites. But he is an odd duck, so who knows what this is all about.

I am so shocked by this, you have no idea. He is one of the most talented actors... what the heck is going on?

Wonderful actor with endless talent... odd fellow that kind of lives in his own reality, which, I think, is what allows him to morph into acting roles with no trouble, what-so-ever. He's known for having chemical addiction issues (namely alcohol), and I can't even fathom the mess he carries on his back from being in a cult as a child.

I don't think River Phoenix intentionally killed himself, he died of a drug overdose.

After all, their family has been through a lot, i believe they were part of a cult with their parents when they were children, then River killed himself..

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Oscars/story?id=6874486&page=1

I'm going to say it, here it goes, I'm putting it in writing!!

I'll give away everything I own if this is for real.

The latest now is the director of the movie Joaquin just finished and SHOULD be promoting just spoke up. Basically stating he thinks he's ruined Joaquin for everyone.

The director? Not his friends, family, those closest to him?

So here's my theory and I think I'm right. This is the biggest publicity stunt ever. I think they're 'almost' pulling it off. The internet is abuzz about him and now they'll be curious to go see the movie too?! Remember, Joaquin actually RAPS in this movie freestyle.

How much more rap freestyle can you get than a very scruffy looking 'blues brothers' look.

So, do I have any possessions left? I believe Two Lovers opened yesterday. Now time will tell.

Maybe he is doing a "Borat" kind of thing, where like Sacha, he is committed to staying in the role pranking people and having it filmed for their honest reactions (though a few people would be in on it, to make sure it stays on track... this director could be a part of the prank, like Casey Affleck, for whom has been filming Joaquin during his crazy rap stunts of late). Except where Sacha went mostly after everyday people, Joaquin is turning the tables on Hollywood making a mockery of the industry for film value. Sounds viable...

Watching him portray Johnny Cash was breathtaking... without a doubt the man has loads of talent when it comes to music and acting... but he has always had a quirkiness about him where you really don't know if the man is on his own nutty planet or he if he is just an average Joe Schmoo that enjoys fooling others to think he is a tad off.

I, too, was hoping this was along the lines of making fun of the industry in some way, however, my husband showed me this clip from David Letterman's show this past week and Joaquin really seems impaired (paranoid and just plain out of it). It's very scary to see someone spiraling in a dangerous direction such as this. I hope he can pull himself back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIBM4nfdIwY

River was a wonderful actor too. I can't remember, but wasn't Joaquin present in the group when River died?

Malapoo: yes... not only was Joaquin, there, but so was their sister. :(

I just realized something... Joaquin's interview is soooooooooo reminiscent of the 1987 interview with Crispin Glover. Crispin was suppose to be there to promote his latest movie... fastforward: Joaquin was suppose to be there to promote his latest movie. Crispin came out looking mighty odd in his appearance, fastforward: Joaquin's appearance was odd as well. Crispin acted strange as all get out... fastword: yep... Joaquin acted strange as all get out. Welllllll... unknown to everyone and Lettermen, Crispin was working on a movie and came to the interview dressed as the character from the yet released movie, just saying and doing weird stuff... but no one knew until the movie was released in 1991. One of the few things different: at least Joaquin didn't stand up and throw a near-miss karate kick towards David, like Crispin did at the end of his interview. David was so undone with Crispin's odd behavior, that he banned him for life, from the show. (David later lifted the ban)

So, the theories that Joaquin is just putting on and what he is doing is for a movie, just may be true... because it sure does look like he is following the Crispin method of screwing with people like David Letterman.

River was a wonderful actor too. I can't remember, but wasn't Joaquin present in the group when River died?
I believe so. It seems Joaquin was the one who made the 911 call. In the call, he can be heard pleading for his brother's life, if I remember correctly. It's been awhile since I have listened to it.

Well my friend saw Joaquin at a concert recently. He asked my friend for some marijuana out of the blue...and then my friend asked "why did you quit showbusiness". Joaquin replied that there wasn't enough......female benefits (for lack of a better word) in it and musicians get more ___.

Thought this was interesting but the guy doesnt seem to let up anywhere. I think it could be an act too! But we'll see.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back