OR - Two dead, 7 injured in shooting at Portland under-21 club, 24 Jan 2009

chicagofa13

Reaction score
This story hasn't really made the news, which is odd, since it's ANOTHER mass shooting. It happened Saturday night.

A young man chose to shoot at a crowd of young people waiting in line to get in an under-21 club. Two young people were killed, including a foreign exchange student. Several others are still in the hospital. The perp shot himself in the head and is still in critical condition. He left a will. WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE TO TAKE OTHER PEOPLE WITH THEM???? Just kill yourself already if that's what you want to do. :furious:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2009/01/2_dead_7_injured_in_portlands.html

Erik S. Ayala, 24, of Milwaukie is accused of opening fire on a crowd of teenagers waiting to get into a popular underage nightclub in downtown Portland on Saturday night. Two girls died and seven other people were wounded. Ayala then shot himself in the head.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008674541_portlandshooting27.html

"
PORTLAND — The man suspected of shooting nine people and himself outside a Portland nightclub left a note in which he bequeathed his car and PlayStation 3 to a roommate and said he was sorry.
In the note, released by Portland police Monday, Erik S. Ayala, 24, meticulously lists off his bank-account information and how his roommate can get top dollar for the game station.
"I'm sorry to put all this on you buddy, good luck," Ayala wrote.
Portland police are still without a motive for the Saturday-night shooting, which killed two girls, injured seven and has become an international tragedy because six of the victims were exchange students."

The suspect just died in a hospital:

http://www.katu.com/news/local/38495209.html

"
PORTLAND, Ore. - Police on Tuesday confirmed that Erik Salvador Ayala, the suspect in a shooting rampage in downtown Portland over the weekend, has died at a Portland-area hospital.
Police said the 24-year-old Milwaukie man shot himself in the head after walking up to a crowd outside an underage nightclub Saturday night and opening fire, killing two teenage girls and injuring seven others."

IMO, it may have been another depressed individual wanting to "go down being remembered" by killing others. :furious:

Thanks for the updates and links MeoW. I'm from Oregon so I follow the news there, couldn't believe there wasn't already a thread. Yes, I believe several people mentioned he was depressed about losing a job, but as usual, everyone is SHOCKED and surprised he did this. I just posted a shooting in FL, similar circumstances where the shooter fired into a crowd. Happened the night before. I wonder if he got any ideas from that one...

Talks with the guy who sold him the guy a couple weeks ago.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2009/01/gun_used_in_portland_shooting.html

Police today also said they tracked the 9 mm handgun Ayala had bought about two weeks earlier to a Milwaukie pawn and gun shop near his apartment.

Bryan Kellim, the owner of 99 Pawn & Guns off McLoughlin Boulevard, said one of his employees recognized Erik S. Ayala after police released his photo Monday. Kellim checked the store's paperwork and called Portland detectives Monday night. He said Ayala came into the store on Jan. 6 and 7, before purchasing the Italian-manufactured EAA Witness 9 mm pistol for about $350 on Jan. 9. During his first visit, Kellim dealt directly with Ayala, describing him as laid-back and calm.

Thanks for the updates and links MeoW. I'm from Oregon so I follow the news there, couldn't believe there wasn't already a thread. Yes, I believe several people mentioned he was depressed about losing a job, but as usual, everyone is SHOCKED and surprised he did this. I just posted a shooting in FL, similar circumstances where the shooter fired into a crowd. Happened the night before. I wonder if he got any ideas from that one...

Sometimes i wonder, too. The copycat effect almost. I feel so bad for all the families, in both cases, these kids didn't deserve this.. :(

Yes, he had the gun since the 7th. From what I can figure, his roommate said he was not home Friday night. He also left the note for the roommate on Friday, so obviously he made his mind up then.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back