Batman goes Bale-istic with profane tirade on crew

Dark Knight

Reaction score
LOS ANGELES - Dark Knight indeed.

Christian Bale can be heard in newly surfaced audio delivering a long, profanity-laced verbal thrashing to a cinematographer and anyone who tried to calm him down on the set of the upcoming "Terminator Salvation."
The three-minute clip was posted Monday on the Web site TMZ.com.

In it, the actor who portrayed Batman in "The Dark Knight" rails against cinematographer Shane Hurlbut for apparently walking behind co-star Bryce Dallas Howard and through Bale's line of sight, considered a film-set foul.

The incident took place last July on the set at Kirtland Air Force Base in New Mexico, days before Bale would face assault allegations from his mother and sister in London. Charges were never filed because his family did not want to press the matter and because prosecutors said there was a lack of sufficient evidence.

http://indiefilm.movies.yahoo.com/article-3-batman-goes-bale-istic-with-profane-tirade-on-crew/

Very interesting, DK. I think Bale is an amazing actor. I was a bit taken aback by his anger in this clip. However, I know NOTHING about the process of being an actor or making movies or media or any of that. Obviously, he was way frustrated with this guy. Personally, I would apologize if I assaulted someone verbally like that - maybe he has.

Very interesting, DK. I think Bale is an amazing actor. I was a bit taken aback by his anger in this clip. However, I know NOTHING about the process of being an actor or making movies or media or any of that. Obviously, he was way frustrated with this guy. Personally, I would apologize if I assaulted someone verbally like that - maybe he has.

Movie actors are obscenely overpaid (and not just in terms of money), so I'm not suggesting we feel sorry for them.

But on the other hand, how many of us would like to work with hundreds of people and numerous cameras watching us, catching every little flub and distraction?

Movie actors are obscenely overpaid (and not just in terms of money), so I'm not suggesting we feel sorry for them.

But on the other hand, how many of us would like to work with hundreds of people and numerous cameras watching us, catching every little flub and distraction?
Hi Nova :blowkiss:

So Christian Bale has to act like an *advertiser censored* in public to get you to show your pretty face?! :blowkiss: Hope you are well, love!

This was the same week he was arrested in the UK for alleged domestic assault. Something else was/is going on with him. Maybe he resents all of the accolades Ledger was getting for Batman, and he was getting overlooked, despite being the star.

This was the same week he was arrested in the UK for alleged domestic assault. Something else was/is going on with him. Maybe he resents all of the accolades Ledger was getting for Batman, and he was getting overlooked, despite being the star.

I don't believe this was the case at all. From what I hear they were had a good relatioship and had a great deal of respect for each other as actors. I have to watch this clip when I am at home.

I don't believe this was the case at all. From what I hear they were had a good relatioship and had a great deal of respect for each other as actors. I have to watch this clip when I am at home.

I'm sure they got along great during filming, but relationships can change when circumstances change, especially when obviously huge egos and shaky emotional states (Bale's) are involved.

I have heard practically this exact same prolonged, aggressive, profanity-filled verbal assault from someone who has serious anger issues. I bet Bale never unloads like this on anyone bigger or more powerful than himself. What a cowardly bully! Does he have children?

In my humble opinion there is no excuse for this behavior towards another human being. A public apology is in order.

I beg to disagree with those condemning him. After all, his acting has cured cancer, ended wars and improved the economy so it is very important work that thoughtless technician interrupted.

On the other hand, he's a total jerk who needs to realize exactly what he does in life. Good acting is impressive, but aside from a few hours of enjoyment, it doesn't improve anyone's life in a meaningful way. Get over yourself.

Hi Nova :blowkiss:

Hey, JBean and SCM! :blowkiss:

I'm not excusing Bale's behavior and, no, acting doesn't cure cancer. But hundreds, sometimes thousands, of jobs depend on movie stars who are held to a much higher degree of scrutiny than the rest of us.

Maybe Bale was bothered by the attention showered on Ledger, but it's not as if Ledger was exactly unknown before his untimely death; surely Bale knew that performance would get a lot of notice from the moment Ledger signed a contract. And nothing in Bale's career choices suggests public attention is all that high on his list of concerns; on the contrary, I'd expect that Bale, like Ledger, finds the public hoopla rather tedious.

(BTW, one of Bale's sisters was a student of mine. She spoke very highly of him and was obviously very proud of his work.)

(Also BTW, I got home on Sunday from an out-of-town trip only to discover that the person watching my cat had let him run out of food. If there were a Utube video of my response, we'd all be wondering if I had "anger management" issues.)

I'm not excusing Bale's behavior and, no, acting doesn't cure cancer. But hundreds, sometimes thousands, of jobs depend on movie stars who are held to a much higher degree of scrutiny than the rest of us.

Maybe Bale was bothered by the attention showered on Ledger, but it's not as if Ledger was exactly unknown before his untimely death; surely Bale knew that performance would get a lot of notice from the moment Ledger signed a contract. And nothing in Bale's career choices suggests public attention is all that high on his list of concerns; on the contrary, I'd expect that Bale, like Ledger, finds the public hoopla rather tedious.

(BTW, one of Bale's sisters was a student of mine. She spoke very highly of him and was obviously very proud of his work.)

(Also BTW, I got home on Sunday from an out-of-town trip only to discover that the person watching my cat had let him run out of food. If there were a Utube video of my response, we'd all be wondering if I had "anger management" issues.)

I too am ill-prepared to make a total judgment of a person I don't know based on a recording of one rotten moment they've had. I agree that Bale avoids the starlight spotlight.

Glad your cat survived!

Oh, now come on!:rolleyes: Hundreds or thousands of jobs do not depend on whether Christian Bale is distracted during a scene and messes up! (Anyway, I don't think he was reacting to a deep feeling of personal responsibility for the employment of film-industry workers, considering that the goal of his rant was to get one of them fired.)

I don't think he maintained that prolonged tantrum to get attention either. He sounded like he enjoyed hearing himself be all badass and, as a bonus, humiliate someone with less power than he has.

Now, as far as your reaction to the neglectful cat-sitter goes, don't you think the life of a pet is infinitely more important than one take of a scene in a movie? If someone had come on set and menaced Christian Bale's cat, I don't think he'd be criticized for reacting in the way he did.

I have heard practically this exact same prolonged, aggressive, profanity-filled verbal assault from someone who has serious anger issues. I bet Bale never unloads like this on anyone bigger or more powerful than himself. What a cowardly bully! Does he have children?
I so agree with this. :clap: :clap:

If he was just starting his career would he have dared behave like this. :waitasec:

IMO he needs bringing down to size!!

Oh, now come on!:rolleyes: Hundreds or thousands of jobs do not depend on whether Christian Bale is distracted during a scene and messes up! (Anyway, I don't think he was reacting to a deep feeling of personal responsibility for the employment of film-industry workers, considering that the goal of his rant was to get one of them fired.)

I don't think he maintained that prolonged tantrum to get attention either. He sounded like he enjoyed hearing himself be all badass and, as a bonus, humiliate someone with less power than he has.

Now, as far as your reaction to the neglectful cat-sitter goes, don't you think the life of a pet is infinitely more important than one take of a scene in a movie? If someone had come on set and menaced Christian Bale's cat, I don't think he'd be criticized for reacting in the way he did.

Well, I certainly agree with the part about cats! (For the record, I don't think my cat was all that hungry. But he gets frantic when the bowl is empty and I didn't think it was too much to ask that my neighbor spend 3 seconds refilling the bowl when he was already in the kitchen delivering the mail. But enough about that.)

I didn't mean to suggest that Bale in that moment was thinking about jobs. I just meant such responsibility is part of the strain that movie stars face. They are basically the CEOs of corporations.

And has someone who has worked in the arts, I'm afraid to tell you, but screaming isn't all that uncommon (and often when there is far less at stake). We ask actors to be "honest, open, 'real' and vulnerable." We can't be too surprised if they aren't always careful, considerate and restrained at the same time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back