Original newspaper items/articles

mayfairlight

Former Member
Reaction score
Here are some original news items about this case (from newspaper archives)
I thought it best to put them in a separate thread to easily find them. There are a few more, and I will post when I have time to...

High Point, North Carolina, Aug 23, 1976
High Point, North Carolina, Sunday Sep 19 1976
Aiken, South Carolina, Thursday August 11 1977

mayfairlight, Thank You for the newspaper articles.
I noticed one article was from a Akin S.C. paper that is about a 100 miles away from the murders and (ONE) 1 year and 2 days (Aug. 1977) after the murders.

The other 2 articles was from High Point, N.C., 180 miles away...2 weeks to a month After the murders in 1976

I still have a question as to, Where are any S.C. papers reporting/describing these 2 brutal murders in Aug. 1976???

Are these all the articles on the murders you could find?
I right- clicked the articles to make them large enough to read...thanks again for your good work and research!

I have only read one of the articles and have already learned a little more about our Jock.

The following is the new information I found important.
Sumter dentist that checked Jocks mouth and teeth say He was in the process of having a "complete mouth restoration", with several Thousand Dollars $$
worth of root canals, tooth caps and bridge work.
The Dentist say the job was about half finished..

With Jock's mouth/teeth restoration only half complete, would Jock not been returning to have the job completed?
A Dentist, that did this excellent work, should remember this young man with his neat shoulder length hair...and question WHY Jock didn't return.

Our Mystery couple was buried on a Sunday in a Methodist Cemetery in Oswego, a small town north of Sumter..

Here are some original news items about this case (from newspaper archives)
I thought it best to put them in a separate thread to easily find them. There are a few more, and I will post when I have time to...
Thanks for posting those. I found those articles on newspaperarchives.com also. The only SC papers they have from that time period are the Aiken Standard and the Florence Morning News. I haven't been able to copy them because something is wrong with my Adobe reader. Newspapers from the Aiken Standard are on there from 1924 through 2008 and from the Florence Morning News from 1929 to 1977. That's the only problem with newspaperarchives.com. They don't have all the papers from any given state and they only have certain years. Most of them are from the 1800s to mid 1900s. I wish they had more on there. It's a good service but sometimes very difficult to find what you need on there.

myfairlight, kudos to you for posting these. According to elliottness, the Sumter Item is on microfilm so maybe we can get some of the earliest articles from there that were written up on the case.

The articles were published in several newspapers around the area, I only saved these because they were easiest to copy. The Florence paper published most of these items too.

I agree Mysterylover, a dentist in the seventies was most certainly wondering where his half-finished patient went, they do make a big deal of his dental work in the articles, they believed that was the clue to their identities. It wasn't just a filling here and there, but a whole dental restauration: lots of money, big job, dentist must have wondered where did his half-finished mouth go? Is there a dentists website/ forum?

Here are some more...
This I found interesting
"Deputies said the mother and stepfather had disagreed on whether the girl is their daughter. Family friends also disagreed on the identification..."
What made the police agree it wasn't the girl in question? I searched for missing Brunswick girls, found none...

Their funeral. It looks nicer than I thought it was, flowers... several people there... (I thought a wooden coffin, one or two police, nothing else... was certainly important for the locals in the day)I wonder if the person who did this to them was there too? Certainly enough people to hide amongst. Who was there and took pictures? The guy's dental work mentioned again...

Original sketches, published in several local papers

edit: this one is the earliest I could find, from Aug 10

I have some friends who were in radio in Sumter at the time. I will ask them what they might know.

If those are the earliest sketches, then something is definitely amiss on this case. That is not the shoulder length hair Jock Doe was reported as having, and as evidenced by a crime scene photo.

Whoever is in contact or has been in contact with Verna Moore, would you please call her, and ask why the sketch doesn't match the crime scene photo?

Try looking up records for "The State", that's a Columbia, SC newspaper.

I'm also curious about a photo that was on phenolred's myspace page for the mystery couple.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ndID=292782949&albumID=516951&imageID=1808081

or tiny url:
http://tinyurl.com/bq89yt

It is my feeling that this photo is the most representative of Jane Doe.

Notice the facial differences, the odd ear, and in particular the forehead height as compared with other photos. You tell me, is this the same person as the morgue photo of Jane with her mouth open? What do you think?

If those are the earliest sketches, then something is definitely amiss on this case. That is not the shoulder length hair Jock Doe was reported as having, and as evidenced by a crime scene photo.

Whoever is in contact or has been in contact with Verna Moore, would you please call her, and ask why the sketch doesn't match the crime scene photo?

justthinkin, You are correct, details and photo's definitely amiss in this case...why?..:waitasec:

The articles were published in several newspapers around the area, I only saved these because they were easiest to copy. The Florence paper published most of these items too.

I agree Mystery-lover, a dentist in the seventies was most certainly wondering where his half-finished patient went, they do make a big deal of his dental work in the articles, they believed that was the clue to their identities. It wasn't just a filling here and there, but a whole dental restoration: lots of money, big job, dentist must have wondered where did his half-finished mouth go? Is there a dentists website/ forum?

Here are some more...

This I found interesting
"Deputies said the mother and stepfather had disagreed on whether the girl is their daughter. Family friends also disagreed on the identification..."
What made the police agree it wasn't the girl in question? I searched for missing Brunswick girls, found none...

Their funeral. It looks nicer than I thought it was, flowers... several people there... (I thought a wooden coffin, one or two police, nothing else... was certainly important for the locals in the day)I wonder if the person who did this to them was there too? Certainly enough people to hide amongst. Who was there and took pictures? The guy's dental work mentioned again...

Mayfairlight...IN 1976 most average people did Not have the money for such fine mouth/teeth restoration, costing many thousands of dollars...
Notice in these sketches, Jock has short hair??
The news article says the man was shot in the head and the female was shot in the chest??

When they say chest, does it mean they were shot from the FRONT in the chest? Otherwise seems the LE/coroner would say they were shot 'twice' in the back??
-----------
How would a Mother and Stepfather NOT be able to identify their own teenage daughter??..What was going on here? How strange can this case get?
Quote:
"Deputies said the mother and stepfather had disagreed on whether the girl is their daughter. Family friends also disagreed on the identification..."[/I]

-----------------------------------------------------
These DNA test are LONG overdue...:boohoo:

Why would a young man in his 20's need all the mouth reconstruction?
Would he have been hit in the mouth playing a sport, car wreck or what??

I'm also curious about a photo that was on phenolred's myspace page for the mystery couple.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ndID=292782949&albumID=516951&imageID=1808081

or tiny url:
http://tinyurl.com/bq89yt

It is my feeling that this photo is the most representative of Jane Doe.

Notice the facial differences, the odd ear, and in particular the forehead height as compared with other photos.
You tell me, is this the same person as the morgue photo of Jane with her mouth open?
What do you think?...

Justthinkin..The large picture is very clear...I agree, something isn't right..every picture of Jane Doe looks different.
Comparing these pictures with the others, these seem to be two DIFFERENT females of different age, face shape, hair color and features...imo..:confused:
Can anyone line all these pictures of our Jane Doe, side by side so we can compare details and features?

Does anyone remember this post from a while back? Are these pictures what this person was "hinting' about in their posts?
Quote:
"I know who they are, and 1976 is not the year they died."

Justthinkin..The large picture is very clear...I agree, something isn't right..
Comparing these pictures with the others, these aren't the same person, but two DIFFERENT females of different age, and features...imo..:confused:
Can anyone line all these pictures of Jane Doe up, side by side so we can compare details and features?

Does anyone remember this post from a while back? Are these pictures what this person was "hinting' about in their posts?
Quote:

Mystery, I can't line up the photos. I'm not that good on a computer. One thing I did though was to take the photo of Jane Doe with the superimposed eyes open, drag her over to Paint...this is a joke cause I'm using Paint (very primitive edition)from a Windows 98 that someone converted onto my Windows Vista...corrected her eye shape, made her hair look something like it did in the most recent photo link I provided, and got that one to agree, meaning it's the same person. I have yet to work on the open mouth morgue photo. That should be interesting. I'll let ya know how it goes.

I agree Mysterylover, a dentist in the seventies was most certainly wondering where his half-finished patient went, they do make a big deal of his dental work in the articles, they believed that was the clue to their identities. It wasn't just a filling here and there, but a whole dental restauration: lots of money, big job, dentist must have wondered where did his half-finished mouth go? Is there a dentists website/ forum?

Here are some more...
This I found interesting

Mayfairlight...Very interesting articles. I learned more details about the case from reading them.

I found the article about the girls ID very interesting, especially about the Unidentified Varnville, S.C. man...Varnville is not far off I-95, south of Sumter.

Why was the Varnville man not identified?
It seems he knew of the couple. He was concerned enough to drive to Brunswick with LE to have the girl identified...

I suggest these people have DNA test on Jane Doe since they couldn't decide from the sketches/ pictures whether she was or wasn't their daughter.
Were they ever informed they could see he body after the autopsy was done at the Medical University at Charleston?

Isn't it a big coincidence she was murdered off road 341 that leads to Brunswick, Ga...:confused:

Quote:
Investigators who traveled to Georgia in hopes of obtaining a final identification of one of two bodies found near here a week ago said Tuesday the effort proved fruitless.

Sheriff I. Byrd Parnell said the trip to Brunswick, Ga. by investigators and an Unidentified Varnville, S.C. Man, who said he knew of the slaying victims,
had not produced a postive identification of the body through autopsy sketches and descriptions.

He said the sketches and descriptions were shown to the Mother and stepfather of a missing girl. "There's no identification in Brunnswick, as far as I know. There's nobody that can postively identify her and give us a name or anything" the sheriff said.

Deputies said the Mother and stepfather had disagreed on whether the girl is their daughter. Family friends also disagreed on the identification they said..

Mayfairlight...Very interesting articles. I learned more details about the case from reading them.

I found the article about the girls ID very interesting, especially about the Unidentified Varnville, S.C. man...Varnville is not far off I-95, south of Sumter.

Why was the Varnville man not identified?
It seems he knew of the couple. He was concerned enough to drive to Brunswick with LE to have the girl identified...

I suggest these people have DNA test on Jane Doe since they couldn't decide from the sketches/ pictures whether she was or wasn't their daughter.
Were they ever informed they could see he body after the autopsy was done at the Medical University at Charleston?

Isn't it a big coincidence she was murdered off road 341 that leads to Brunswick, Ga...:confused:

Quote:
Investigators who traveled to Georgia in hopes of obtaining a final identification of one of two bodies found near here a week ago said Tuesday the effort proved fruitless.

Sheriff I. Byrd Parnell said the trip to Brunswick, Ga. by investigators and an Unidentified Varnville, S.C. Man, who said he knew of the slaying victims,
had not produced a postive identification of the body through autopsy sketches and descriptions.

He said the sketches and descriptions were shown to the Mother and stepfather of a missing girl. "There's no identification in Brunnswick, as far as I know. There's nobody that can postively identify her and give us a name or anything" the sheriff said.

Deputies said the Mother and stepfather had disagreed on whether the girl is their daughter. Family friends also disagreed on the identification they said..

There bodies were near a State road. Looking at the map, it's labeled as S43-62, meaning State Road County Number 43 (Sumter)-Road 62. If someone wanted to go to Brunswick from the Santee area, then and now, the route to take would be I-95, it's the most direct and the fastest and if these two were indeed not Americans, or familiar with the area, I seriously doubt they would have veered off major highways or taken such a bassackwards way to Brunswick. And looking at the map I can't even figure out how to get there from where they were found. In short, I don't get the obsession with Brunswick to begin with. Using the same logic I could say they were found near I-95 and wow, I-95 leads to NY and I bet they are somehow connected to the Mafia because they have mafia members in NY. Or conversely, that I-95 leads to Miami and I bet they were involved in some drug cartel. It could be either, neither, or both. :innocent: Or I-95 leads to Hilton Head, maybe they liked to play tennis or golf. :banghead: Great theories but there is no proof to any of it. What we do know is that the murder weapon was found, we know who that person is. Start there. Start with who he knew, who that gun passed through the hands of and when, and that's the answer to at least solving the "who" killed them. For the who this couple was, there is always the possibility that the murderer didn't even know.

Re the discrepancies in the morgue photos, didn't an amateur here doctor those to show what they would have looked like with different eye colors, hair styles, etc?

Justthinkin..The large picture is very clear...I agree, something isn't right..every picture of Jane Doe looks different.
Comparing these pictures with the others, these seem to be two DIFFERENT females of different age, face shape, hair color and features...imo..:confused:
Can anyone line all these pictures of our Jane Doe, side by side so we can compare details and features?

Quote:

I can do that I will line them all up but please give me a little time I have to do some things but I will do this today for you

and No I do not remember that Post :eek:

Quote:

I think the post you are refering to is post # 39 here

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75977

I think the post you are refering to is post # 39 here

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75977

Im still doing the photos side by side ive just gathered them all and now will start putting it all together

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=50572

Sumter County Coroner Verna Moore remembers when they were first found: off I-95 on August 9, 1976. A truck driver discovered the man, who is said to be in his mid-twenties, and the woman, believed to be 19 years old to her early twenties. They lay dead on a dirt road, shot execution style in the head and neck.

that puts paid to the person who said that they were shot in the chest (one of them)

The coroner states here head and neck

Although I thought one was in the back ?

But you can see the shot up through the neck on Both of them

This is the person who left the comment

http://www.wltx.com/life/community/...c&plckUserId=9eefa5cf486b46c1b0def234d2ac14ac

HOW ODD !

Can someone send that person a email or something ?

I haven't done Jocks Yet but will still do it

Also these are ALL the photos and or sketches I have come across of Jane Doe
I think the original newspaper sketch does look like Jane Doe when she is lying on the morgue table
with her eyes closed and hair out
The weird bit at the top of her head is like someone overlayed her

ITs hard to see on these but she has a mole under her left eye as well as the two near her lip

picture.php

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991