GUILTY FL - Tai-Ling Gigliotti & Anton Angelo for child abuse, Spring Hill, 2009

I'm sorry but this is just disgusting. Another poor child basically held captive and horribly beaten?

We cannot remain a 'civil' & "humane" with people like this as they're inhumane themselves. I say the punishment should fit the crime. Lock them up in a little cell and have other prisoners do the exact same to them. But make the time about 5 times longer. 15 years of torture & beatings sound about right in this case. :furious:

I don't understand why the woman, who should have been his protector AND played such a large role in his abuse, was give a lesser bond amount than the man. I hope he never has to see either of them again; poor kid!

So very sad.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_...en_kept_in_florida_bathroom_beaten_by_-1.html

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Updated Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 8:46 AM
Tai-Ling Gigliotti and her boyfriend are acused of aggravated child abuse and false imprisonment. AP

Tai-Ling Gigliotti and her boyfriend are acused of aggravated child abuse and false imprisonment.

SPRING HILL, Fla. — For three years, neighbors in a quaint, middle-class community scarcely saw the lanky 16-year-old boy who lived with his adoptive mother and her boyfriend.

Now, they know why: According to authorities, the teen was brutally abused and held captive in his own home. Most recently, he'd been confined to a bathroom, locked from the outside and sealed with a piece of plywood over the window.

By the time he escaped last week, the Florida boy had a broken forearm and scars, scabs and oozing wounds that investigators say mark years of abuse.

Hernando County Sheriff Richard Nugent called it "barbaric."

"This is almost like what John McCain went through in Vietnam when he was a prisoner of war," Nugent said.

Tai-Ling Gigliotti and her boyfriend, Anton Angelo, were arrested and charged with aggravated child abuse and false imprisonment last week. Gigliotti, 50, was released on a $15,000 bond. Her attorney did not reply to messages seeking comment, and no one answered when a reporter visited her home. Angelo, 45, was released on a $50,000 bond. Available public records don't show if he has an attorney. He refused comment when approached by reporters after his arrest Thursday.

Authorities are still piecing together the boy's history, but they believe Gigliotti is the boy's aunt, and that she brought him from Taiwan to the United States when he was a young child.

The teen, whose name was not released because he is an alleged victim of child abuse, told investigators his stepfather was Anthony Gigliotti, who was the Philadelphia Orchestra's principal clarinetist. The stepfather died at age 79 in 2001, before the abuse apparently began.

First Kyle, now this.
What the French is wrong with people?!
I hope this boy gets some serious therapy so he can have a semi-normal life, and may he perpetrators ROT IN JAIL. :furious:

That poor boy! It sounds like his stepfather really loved him, and after his death things went downhill from there. He was left with his evil mother, and her evil boyfriend. Thank God he was able to escape. These poor children that are in these situations, i think they fear so much that they will end up dead at the hands of their abusers, that they risk their lives escaping, and by escaping they save their lives.

God bless this poor boy. I hope that he is able to find the emotional healing that he is going to need to live a normal life. As for the that did this to them, I am outraged that their bail was so low! I hope they both rot.

Child abuse trial continued after co-defendant plea deal

By TONY HOLT
Published: March 4, 2010
Updated: 04:28 pm

BROOKSVILLE - The trial of the mother accused of caging her teenage son and abusing him in their Spring Hill home had her trial delayed after her co-defendant accepted a plea deal Thursday.

Tai-Ling Gigliotti, 51, is charged with two counts of aggravated child abuse. She spent more than an hour Thursday conferring with her attorneys before seeking a continuance.

Earlier in the day, Gigliotti's live-in companion, Anton Angelo, pleaded guilty in Hernando County Circuit Court to one count of aggravated child abuse. His sentencing hearing was scheduled for April 29.

He is expected to be sentenced to five years probation.

The victim, who is now 17 and under foster care, told Circuit Judge Jack Springstead that Angelo, on numerous occasions, tried to protect him from his mother.
Brown told the judge Gigliotti was willing to waive her right to a speedy trial given the "substantial change" in the case when Angelo entered his plea.

Springstead agreed and said the defendant would have been in an "untenable position" had the trial gone forward next week.

The victim was the adopted son of Gigliotti and her late husband, Anthony Gigliotti. He died in 2001 after a battle with cancer.

Anthony Gigliotti was a famed clarinet player who performed for nearly a half-century with the Philadelphia Orchestra.

Tai-Ling Gigliotti's other attorney, John H. Feiner, said a month after her arrest that her son was a "sociopath" and had lied to authorities.

more here

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/ma...ntinued-after-co-defendant-ple/news-breaking/

Five years probation?
Jesus not only wept, he is currently still weeping.

ETA: I'm glad that the guy "Tried to protect" him. But that didn't include calling the authorities or taking him for help. Five years probation isn't enough. MOO.

Child abuse trial continued after co-defendant plea deal

By TONY HOLT
Published: March 4, 2010
Updated: 04:28 pm

BROOKSVILLE - The trial of the mother accused of caging her teenage son and abusing him in their Spring Hill home had her trial delayed after her co-defendant accepted a plea deal Thursday.

Tai-Ling Gigliotti, 51, is charged with two counts of aggravated child abuse. She spent more than an hour Thursday conferring with her attorneys before seeking a continuance.

Earlier in the day, Gigliotti's live-in companion, Anton Angelo, pleaded guilty in Hernando County Circuit Court to one count of aggravated child abuse. His sentencing hearing was scheduled for April 29.

He is expected to be sentenced to five years probation.

The victim, who is now 17 and under foster care, told Circuit Judge Jack Springstead that Angelo, on numerous occasions, tried to protect him from his mother.
Brown told the judge Gigliotti was willing to waive her right to a speedy trial given the "substantial change" in the case when Angelo entered his plea.

Springstead agreed and said the defendant would have been in an "untenable position" had the trial gone forward next week.

The victim was the adopted son of Gigliotti and her late husband, Anthony Gigliotti. He died in 2001 after a battle with cancer.

Anthony Gigliotti was a famed clarinet player who performed for nearly a half-century with the Philadelphia Orchestra.

Tai-Ling Gigliotti's other attorney, John H. Feiner, said a month after her arrest that her son was a "sociopath" and had lied to authorities.

more here

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/ma...ntinued-after-co-defendant-ple/news-breaking/

Wow. I know who he is. The deceased father that is. Not personally but he was famous here. He went to Curtis. Played with our orchestra for years.

The kid is a sociopath? Well maybe you would be if ya got locked in a bathroom for all that time and had to escape.

How sad is that. I'm including a link about the boy's father. I hope that is alright.

http://www.clarinetworld.com/legend.htm

the kid isnt the freaking sociopath.

another deal with the devil. wonderful

OMG. This is a very, very charged case. It's obvious a much higher bond should have been set for her for brutalizing and torturing a child for YEARS!

And I really hope the wild allegations she's making about the boy are not true. What a mess all around.

Jury hears conflicting testimony in Hernando child abuse case

BROOKSVILLE - Former police detective Vern Blevins looked at the graphic photographs and shook his head.
He didn't think the victim's injuries on his legs and buttocks came from a piece of wood.
There were too many scratches, he said. Blevins thought it looked more like something a bicyclist or motorcyclist would get during a fall along an asphalt street.
"They're not consistent with blunt force trauma with a stick," Blevins said of the victim's injuries.
It looked more like "road rash," he said.
Defense attorney Jimmy Brown asked whether he was sure.
"I have no doubt," Blevins replied.
Blevins was one of several defense witnesses called Friday in the trial for accused child abuser Tai-Ling Gigliotti, 51, of Spring Hill.
She is accused of caging her late husband's adopted son in her bathroom and beating him. If convicted on both counts of aggravated child abuse, she faces up to 60 years in prison.

May 2010:

Reached at her home near Allentown, Pa., Laura Gigliotti said the family was hoping for a lengthy sentence.

"She probably deserves 60 years in prison," Laura Gigliotti said. "But she won't live that long anyway. Forty years is probably good enough."

Gigliotti said she and other family members have tried to make up for all the time they lost when Tai-Ling whisked the boy away to Florida in 2004.

After Anthony Gigliotti died at age 79 in December 2001, Laura said they never saw much of Tai-Ling or the well-mannered, affectionate 6-year-old boy they adopted from Taiwan.

"She wouldn't let us have any contact with (the boy) because we questioned her," she said. "But it was no surprise to us that it turned out that way, that it escalated to that."

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...-to-teen-as-tai-ling-gigliotti-awaits/1094586

The last morning the boy was in the home he was naked and hog-tied with packing tape and bungee cords. He remained imprisoned in the bathroom and the power was turned off.

"Obviously, we're very satisfied," said Assistant State Attorney Brian Trehy. "It appears the jury gave full consideration to everything both sides offered."...
Trehy said he is never sure how a jury is going to go, but thought possibly the defendant's own testimony might have damaged her.

"I felt like her cross examination revealed she wasn't being completely honest about things," he said...

While on the witness stand last week, Angelo said Gigliotti would beat her son at least once per month. The morning of Feb. 9, 2009, he heard a commotion and ran into the bathroom, where he saw his fiancée beating her son with a stick.

He wrestled the stick away from her, he said.

http://www.tbo.com/news/woman-found-guilty-in-hernando-child-abuse-trial-44219

January 2011:

A judge granted bond for Anton Angelo Thursday, and he'll now have to wear an ankle monitor.

Angelo has been in jail on a perjury charge after he and his girlfriend Tai-Ling Gigliotti both faced child abuse charges last year. Gigliotti was accused of locking up her adopted son and beating him...

Angelo said the victim was locked in the bathroom about 80 percent of the time for nearly a year.

But in the middle of his testimony, Judge Jack Springstead asked Angelo to stop and the jury to leave the courtroom.

"It seems to me that the answers are not forthcoming, they're not forthright," Springstead said. "They're evasive and I'm beginning to formulate the impression that Mr. Angelo was not living up to one of his conditions of probation to testify truthfully."...

Gigliotti was sentenced to 12 years in prison last year.

Angelo is expected back in court next month.

http://www.mynews13.com/content/new...hild_abuse_case_to_be_released_from_jail.html

January 2011:

Last May, Angelo testified that he took photos used as evidence in the trial of Gigliotti, who was accused of beating her teenage nephew and periodically locking him in a bathroom at the couple's Spring Hill home.

The defense argued that Gigliotti acted in self-defense to protect herself from an unruly boy, and the photos of bruises were submitted to document the injuries he inflicted on her.

Angelo lied when testifying that he snapped all of the photos two days after the boy escaped in February 2009, prompting Gigliotti's arrest, prosecutors say. The bruises in the various photos appear to be in various stages of healing, and a medical expert will testify to that, Trehy said...

To get a perjury conviction, Trehy will have to show that the photos were material to the case and that Angelo intentionally misrepresented the facts. The photos were material, Trehy said, because they were used to corroborate Gigliotti's testimony that she suffered injury at the hands of the boy she adopted. He is now living with other relatives.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/criminal/bail-set-in-notorious-hernando-child-abuse-case/1143943

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back