Crayola to girl: "You're not a contest winner after all"

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Justina Hecker's artwork submission to Crayola's Dream-Makers exhibition turned into a nightmare for the 9-year-old and her family.

Earlier this month the Heckers received a letter saying the third-grader's picture was chosen from thousands of entries to be on display at the State Theatre Center for the Arts.

The Wisconsin family immediately hopped on the Internet and started planning for a trip to Easton this summer.

A few days later Justina's mom, Laura Hecker, got a call from Crayola manufacturer Binney & Smith letting her know her daughter was one of 91 students erroneously sent letters of congratulations.

In fact, Justina's artwork was not recognized among thousands of entries. "I couldn't believe what I was hearing. This just couldn't be. This is a child's life," the mother said in a phone interview Tuesday. "You just shattered her life."

Company spokeswoman Stacy Gabrielle said Binney & Smith has never made a mistake like this in the program's 20-year history. The company has no plans to change any part of how it notifies Dream-Maker participants as a result of the error.

"Obviously, we sincerely regret that this has happened," Gabrielle said. "It was just an unfortunate internal error. I don't think it needs elaboration."

Of the more than 1,000 submissions received, she said, 194 works of art by 201 students will be recognized at the Crayola Dream-Makers 2004 National Exhibition beginning July 10. Winners are entitled to attend the opening and given three admission tickets to the Crayola Factory in Centre Square.

Binney & Smith employees called students and teachers in Wisconsin, Missouri and Iowa who were sent the erroneous letters. They also received apology letters and Crayola gifts, Gabrielle said.

"The majority of them were understanding. We regret that this one family was disappointed," she said.

http://pennlive.com/news/expresstimes/pa/index.ssf?/base/news-11/1085562312253240.xml

Casshew said:
In fact, Justina's artwork was not recognized among thousands of entries. "I couldn't believe what I was hearing. This just couldn't be. This is a child's life," the mother said in a phone interview Tuesday. "You just shattered her life."
Geez! What kind of importance did her family put on this one thing in her life? It's a part of life, not the be all, end all of existence.

Sounds like a lawsuit is in order here: She was officially notified that she was the winner, therefore she won. It is becoming a more & more common ploy by companies to do everything they can to aviod paying the prize out.

Personally I feel Crayola should bite the bullet and include all families notified of being winners.

There were 91 extra people notified... would it be such a big deal to display the extra artwork and give the extra families passes to the exhibit?

Cass, I agree. It's like inviting a child to a party, then calling and saying they are uninvited. Just isnt right IMO.

Ghostwheel... I agree ...
Sounds like the parents put way to much importance on this.

However I also agree with Cass that it wouldn't hurt to include the 90 other childrens art work.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back