University of Arizona researchers make forensic science breakthrough

That's very interesting thefragile7393. Thank you for posting. I wonder also, if it could have an application in anthropology too. Very intriguing.

"The Arizona team's model would allow investigators to extrapolate what a suspect or victim would probably look like from a small sample of DNA recovered at a crime scene."
Cool!

That is one of those articles that may be small, but holds a gigantic punch... wow! I know it has far to go, but just the breakthrough alone is very encouraging.

University of Arizona researchers have developed a method that could allow scientists to predict what a person might look like using nothing more than their DNA. A team at the University of Arizona's Steele Children's Research Center conducted a study where they measured the hair, skin and eye color of roughly a thousand people.

This has potential to be a HUGE step forward in forensic science. I can't wait to see if the findings hold up when the numbers of people studied goes up.

Oh my, very exciting news!!!! Imagine all the does that could be identified using this?

Hi, I think we will see a lot of breakthroughs in forensic science in the next year. I know of 2 more that are interesting as well and have already been put into practical use:

* In Germany they take a sample of air at the crime scene to see if the perp's DNA is in the air. There was a burglary in a market there, they took a sample which yielded the DNA of a man who was suspected by witness accounts. He was found guilty in a court of law and the judge said that 'air sample' evidence would be acceptable from now on on a case by case basis.

* At Birmingham Labs in England they have pioneered the creating of the particular death scent of a person which they make from the person's live scent. It is already being used in here in the US with the cadaver dogs in St Louis and at the FBI as well. It will give an advantage to cadaver dogs, as if a body is still missing, the dog can track where the cadaver was moved. BTW, this is called 'Enhanced Scenting'.

xox

Wow Scandi, that IS very interesting news. Air DNA???!! I can't see that ever happening here...too many defense attorneys wouldn't like that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back