Metal Rod?

Crabcake23

Reaction score
Have we even discussed this yet? RK had a metal rod with him, collected by LE (page 18 of this document: http://www.cfnews13.com/uploadedFiles/3464-3513redacted.pdf). Sounds just like the PI, who also used a metal rod, poking and probing the same area. I realize that it's a water meter reader rod, but I find it interesting. So that means that he was using the rod to locate Caylee, he wasn't out there to pee.

I thought RK was in the clear, but this kinda makes me rethink LP's daisy chain theory. If he used the tool for work, fine, but why would LE want it? Because he was digging around near the body.

DH thinks this is a long tool with a prong on the end. Using the prong, the reader is able to lift the cover off the water meter without having to get up and down. The readers are thus able to work more quickly.

Now why would he park his truck and carry that tool with him into the woods if he wasn't going to use it ? No water meters in the woods...........

Tried to think of alternatives:

Tool hanging on a tool belt - but wearing a tool belt with a long rod attached to it while driving - at the end of your shift ?

Folding rod carried in a pocket - guess it's possible.....

Having already seen a rattlesnake in that area, you can bet I'd be bringing something into the woods with me if I needed to relieve myself!

Maybe just maybe he took it with him in case he encountered another snake ... I would have!!

Okay, the folding rod sounds interesting, but would LE want it, if he wasn't using it near the body? And from what I remember, RK was sent out there to search for new areas to install water meters. I don't remember at this point where I'd read/heard that one, but that was his initial reason for being out there.

I was always curious about that. I didn't know that LE wanted the rod. When did they ask for it?

Having already seen a rattlesnake in that area, you can bet I'd be bringing something into the woods with me if I needed to relieve myself!

Hadn't thought about that. But, if I was worried about snakes, I'd relieve myself somewhere else. I don't think I'd rely upon my speed and dexterity in confronting a rattlesnake. Unless the rod was electrified in some way - like a cattle prod.

I'd take something with me! But remember he also said, in addition to relieving himself, he was curious to see if what he saw in August was still there. He might have taken it with to poke at the bag (which is exactly what he did with it)

LE took the metal rod based on his statement that he tapped the skull with the rod and it made a hollow sound. LE took it in case that when he did that, he caused some damage to the skull and they could compare that damage with the metal rod. *Note* I'm not saying that Kronk did do any damage but that LE is covering all the bases.

Hadn't thought about that. But, if I was worried about snakes, I'd relieve myself somewhere else. I don't think I'd rely upon my speed and dexterity in confronting a rattlesnake. Unless the rod was electrified in some way - like a cattle prod.

Maybe your bladder is better than mine, but waiting probably wouldn't be an option for me. :rolling:

I'd take something with me! But remember he also said, in addition to relieving himself, he was curious to see if what he saw in August was still there. He might have taken it with to poke at the bag (which is exactly what he did with it)

LE took the metal rod based on his statement that he tapped the skull with the rod and it made a hollow sound. LE took it in case that when he did that, he caused some damage to the skull and they could compare that damage with the metal rod. *Note* I'm not saying that Kronk did do any damage but that LE is covering all the bases.

Yep, that sounds right, from everything i read.thanks ecs...

I think that he chose that location to relieve himself because he wanted to see if the bag was still there ... I think that seeing whatever he thought he saw back in August and KNOWING that it was never investigated really burdened him and he needed to get a closer look to find some peace!

Exactly!

RK did tell LE he poked the bag ( DEC ) and the skull fell out, skull sounded hollow. BUT he has also said that looking back he thinks he might have seen the skull in August. How could he have seen the skull in Aug if it fell out of the bag in Dec when he tapped it? If it had been at the top of the bag, the bag torn, allowing in Aug to see into the top of the bag, I would have thought it would the skull would have come out of the bag between Aug & Dec esp in light of all the rains. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

RK did tell LE he poked the bag ( DEC ) and the skull fell out, skull sounded hollow. BUT he has also said that looking back he thinks he might have seen the skull in August. How could he have seen the skull in Aug if it fell out of the bag in Dec when he tapped it? If it had been at the top of the bag, the bag torn, allowing in Aug to see into the top of the bag, I would have thought it would the skull would have come out of the bag between Aug & Dec esp in light of all the rains. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Kronk was either mistaken or misspoke when he talked about the skull dropping out of the bag. CSI determined that the skull was already outside the bag when Kronk encountered it on Dec 11.

Kronk is pretty much convinced that he saw the skull itself on Aug 11. That was the "round white something" he reported on the phone.

Attachments

• skull drop.jpg
    skull drop.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 320

I'd have to go back and read again, but I believe LE came to the conclusion that it did not actually fall out of the bag after talking with him-- this is why I can't wait to read his total interview with LE.

Hot Dogs,

Thank you for bringing up the point that stood out to me. LE said

the skull would not be where it was found if it had happened like Kronk

reported. That's all I need to hear.

Kronk can't retell his story to make it fit what LE says. LE has to determine

that his story fits what they observed in the first place.

Kronk was either mistaken or misspoke when he talked about the skull dropping out of the bag. CSI determined that the skull was already outside the bag when Kronk encountered it on Dec 11.

Kronk is pretty much convinced that he saw the skull itself on Aug 11. That was the "round white something" he reported on the phone.

Thank you Hot Dogs. I had forgotten that statement.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back