TX TX - Sherry Mondragon, 55, Amarillo, 21 Jan 2009

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://community.icontact.com/p/ama...sts/amarillo-police-departments-email-alert20

Jan. 30, 2009
RE: Missing Person - Sherry Mondragon

DETAILS: The Amarillo Police Department is requesting assistance in locating a missing person. Sherry Ann Mondragon HF 55 has been missing since 1/21/09. She is described as 5ft. tall, and weighs 150 pounds. She has short, black, straight hair with reddish-brown highlights. She has brown eyes. She was last seen in the hallway of her apartment complex in the 4700 block of S. Virginia on 1/21/2009, between 10:30 and 11:00 PM. She was last seen wearing clothing that was described as looking like pajamas. She may be in the company of a black male in his late forties. This man was seen driving a tan, older model Saturn. At this point, there is no evidence of foul play, but there are circumstances surrounding her disappearance that are causing concern for her family and the police.

If you have any information about this missing person, please contact the Amarillo Police Department at 378-3038. A photograph of Mondragon is attached.

jpeg

http://myhighplains.com/content/fulltext/?cid=45521

27 Feb 09

An Amarillo woman is still missing after more than a month.

55-year-old Sherry Ann Mondragan was last seen back in January.

Police say there's no evidence Sherry was kidnapped, but circumstances of the disappearance are concerning.

Sherry was last seen at her apartment complex near 45th and Western.

Police say they haven't given up on the investigation yet and they're still interviewing acquaintances.

As for whether Sherry voluntarily disappeared, or was kidnapped, her father says it's not a question.

He says phone records show Sherry hasn't used her cell phone in more than a month.

Police say there's no indication of foul play, but they also say, there's no indication of Sherry leaving on her own.

Sherry's family says she had mentioned to them that at one point she was being stalked.

Her dad also says she used to be a guard at the Clements Unit and had been threatened by prisoners.

more at link

video at link

(Does anyone know the correct spelling of her last name? Does it end in "-on" or "-an"?)

I just read about this missing woman a couple of hours away from my town. It hasn't been reported in our newspaper that I know of. The article I read today in the Amarillo online paper said that Sherry mentioned she had been followed, but wasn't too concerned about it. There was no mention of the man being Black. I wonder if she knew who the person or man was following her? If LE knows, why don't they haul him in and search his home and vehicle.

http://www.newschannel10.com/Global/story.asp?S=10249046

Updated: Apr 25, 2009 6:53 PM CDT

Missing Woman's Body Found In Amarillo Garage

The body of a woman missing in January was found Saturday morning in the garage of a vacant house at 1300 N. Spring St.

Police say 55-year-old Sherry Ann Mondragon's body was found just before 8 a.m. by a man who was looking for junk items he could sell. He reportedly met with officers at a fire station where he told them what he had found.

RIP Sherry

So sad.......
to have her found this way.....:(
I wish the very best to the family while they try to move on with their
lives and remembering her as she was...
Prayers to them....

Police up reward for help with cold case
April 24, 2015 - 6:22pm

snip
Police have worked since then to solve the murder, but no arrests have been made. Now, family members and investigators are hoping an increased reward will lead them to the identification and arrest of the person or people responsible.

“Someone might have some information out there; a thousand bucks may not be worth it to them,” said Cpl. Sean Slover, adding they might know or be close to the suspect. “Maybe with this extra money being on the table, it might.”

Working with Mondragon’s family members, who pitched in their own money, Amarillo Crime Stoppers has increased the reward from $1,000 to $5,000. On Friday, they rereleased photos of Mondragon and the rug from the crime scene.

From Luckyseven's link:

[...]
In January 2009, Al Mondragon reported his daughter missing. She was last seen between 10:30 and 11 p.m. Jan. 21 outside her apartment complex in the 4700 block of South Virginia Street, Amarillo Globe-News files show.

Her car was there, but her maroon BlackBerry cellphone, purse, credit cards and keys were never found.

[...]
The rug is described as machine-made and measuring 9 feet by 6 feet with a design that includes large images of peacocks.

http://amarillo.com/news/local-news/2015-04-24/reward-increased-info-cold-case-homicide
From a 2011 article:

[...]
The body of 55-year-old Sherry Mondragon was wrapped inside a rare rug and stuffed into a garage in a home on North Spring Street back in April of 2009. Mondragon was reported missing by her father nearly three months before her body was discovered.

Autopsy results show, she had been shot in the back before her body was dumped. Investigators still do not have any strong leads as to who is responsible for murdering her.

http://www.newschannel10.com/Global/story.asp?S=13791232

This pdf from the Amarillo Crime Stopper's website shows a picture of the rug.

http://www.amapolice.org/Pictures/Mondragon flyer.pdf

Sending thoughts and prayers to the family of this beautiful woman. Please know that others share your grief and heartbreak. You are never alone. God Bless you.

1672322188106.png
By Alyssa Riggs Dec. 29, 2022
''AMARILLO, Texas (KFDA) - The Amarillo Police Department is starting a Cold Case Investigation Unit.

The newly designed unit will focus on solving murder cases that weren’t originally solved.

Amarillo has 49 unsolved homicides dating back to the 1950s and the department’s goal is to reduce that number and bring justice for the families and friends of victims.

“The investigators in the past, outstanding, but my mindset is when I start going through the case file is they missed something and I’m going to find it,” said Jimmy Rifenberg the head investigator of the cold case unit for the Amarillo Police Department.''

Sherry Mondragon​

The body of 55-year-old Sherry Mondragon was found In the early morning hours of April 25, 2009. A man who was collecting junk items from a vacant garage at 1300 N Spring St. discovered a body wrapped in a massive oriental rug and immediately contacted authorities.

Sherry Mondragon had been reported missing from her apartment at 4700 Virginia St in January 2009 by her father. The autopsy showed that Sherry had been shot in the back before being wrapped in the rug and disposed of at the home at north Spring.

Neither investigators or Sherry's family have any strong leads as to who had motive or opportunity to murder her. According to the APD website, investigators released photos of the rare rug that Mondragon was wrapped in, yet received no tips. Sherry's family asks that anyone with any information about her death to please come forward.

If you know anything about the murder, you are urged to call Potter Randall Special Crimes at 378-9468 or Amarillo Crime Stoppers at 806-374-4400

Read More: The Unsolved Murder Cases in Amarillo, Texas | These Are The Victims of Unsolved Murders in Amarillo, Texas

Feb 12 '24

Dec. 29, 2022
“The investigators in the past, outstanding, but my mindset is when I start going through the case file is they missed something and I’m going to find it,” said Jimmy Rifenberg the head investigator of the cold case unit for the Amarillo Police Department.

Evolving technology has played a huge part in the construction of the cold case unit making it possible to find new evidence in these cases.

“It plays a pretty big part because it gives us an advantage now. It gives us an edge now that we didn’t have back in the day,” said Rifenberg. “That’s going to be a pretty good boost for us.”

Rifenberg is a fingerprint expert, shooting reconstruction expert, and blood stain analysis expert and he says that these skills will help him to solve more cases.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brew23p
Back