FL - Teacher MAY Lose Job Over Lewd Comments To Student(s)

EmMomma

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Reaction score
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/community/news/plantation/sfl-bn-030309-teacher-sexual,0,5235062.story

*snipped*
PLANTATION - The Broward County School Board voted to suspend a Plantation Elementary School music teacher accused of making sexual advances toward a former student.

Matthew D**** could lose his job over the allegations. There was no board discussion of the case.

D****, of Sunrise, is accused of immorality, moral turpitude, gross insubordination and misconduct under state codes. He is not charged with any crime.

COULD lose his job?
NOT charged with a crime?
:furious:

Here are documents from a school board meeting, compliments of Swag.

There is some EXTREMELY offensive language in both documents.
Read with caution.

http://eagenda3.broward.k12.fl.us/eAgenda/1466/37979/Files/petition.pdf
(that's for the teacher in the above mentioned article)

http://eagenda3.broward.k12.fl.us/eAgenda/1466/37981/Files/petition.pdf
(this is for another...yes ANOTHER...teacher accused of misconduct)

Morons, compete morons. And a disgrace to the profession.

If anyone that is connected with LE reads this thread - could you please try to explain or at least give some insight as to WHY this guy - the first one - MD - WHY is he NOT BEING CHARGED WITH A CRIME? Regardless that it has been two years since he committed this "inappropriate" act, which I feel created a public safety risk, I do not understand why he wasn't arrested.

Imagine if you just found this out today - two years later - and this guy has been living next door to you. You've watched him talking to the neighborhood kids thinking, well he's a teacher. He could have been talking to YOUR kids. And you would have had no clue. I believe IMO that this guy did, in fact, do what is alleged in the document. Why else would the school board have fired him? How many other victims could be out there - TWO YEARS.

This guy "used" the little sister. He pestered her to get her older sister to call him. Doesn't that just throw HUGE RED FLAGS up that this guy could be a predator?

I just don't get it.

I didn't click on all the links and read, but he sounds like he could also be a stalker.

Okay I got to where the teacher allegedly said "i want to eat your *****" and stopped. Okay I'm going to vent. If a teacher ever said that to one of my daughters...he wouldnt' have to worry about my husband coming after him...it would be me. I would make sure he didn't have any teeth left in his mouth after that comment.

Yes, molesters of children are my hot button. This guy needs to be in jail. Bottom line. UGH!

Sorry for the rant, FWIW I rarely rant, but that's my touchy subject.

Anyone else wondering if this is the first time he's done something like this? :rolleyes:

Here are documents from a school board meeting, compliments of Swag.

There is some EXTREMELY offensive language in both documents.
Read with caution.

http://eagenda3.broward.k12.fl.us/eAgenda/1466/37979/Files/petition.pdf
(that's for the teacher in the above mentioned article)

http://eagenda3.broward.k12.fl.us/eAgenda/1466/37981/Files/petition.pdf
(this is for another...yes ANOTHER...teacher accused of misconduct)

Why haven't they been arrested? Especially the second one where there appears to be ample evidence of crimes committed. This guy could serve several years in prison for what he has done.
The first one may need more evidence, but if the note with his handwriting is available, that's a good start.

I am a product of Broward Co. schools...and lets just say this is not uncommon, at all..it's sad. Only 1 was caught and arrested. One of the other instances was with me, and I never reported it....most don't. I heard countless stories from other students...and I knew they weren't lying - saw pics, etc... Disgusting, all around.

Update: (on MD)

I spoke with the sheriff's office this morning. The child sexual abuse investigator. I was told that the sheriff's investigator did, in fact, find that abuse was FOUNDED. The sheriff's office did not have jurisdiction as it took place in a city with a PD - so that investigator did not have arresting power. I have put a call into the city PD that had jurisdiction to continue my quest for answers.

But I find it very interesting now that a sheriff's investigator did FIND CHILD ABUSE and this guy was not arrested.

Anyone care to speculate as to why the local PD did not arrest or take the sheriff's findings into account?

Update: (on MD)

I spoke with the sheriff's office this morning. The child sexual abuse investigator. I was told that the sheriff's investigator did, in fact, find that abuse was FOUNDED. The sheriff's office did not have jurisdiction as it took place in a city with a PD - so that investigator did not have arresting power. I have put a call into the city PD that had jurisdiction to continue my quest for answers.

But I find it very interesting now that a sheriff's investigator did FIND CHILD ABUSE and this guy was not arrested.

Anyone care to speculate as to why the local PD did not arrest or take the sheriff's findings into account?

First, can you tell us what crime you believe was committed? (I'm seriously asking.) The only Florida statutes I can find that relate to sexual abuse of minors require a "lewd or lascivious act upon or with the body of a child."

Unless I misread (entirely possible), no such act occurred in the case that began this thread. (In the other case cited, there WAS physical contact.)

For the record, I'm not defending the teacher. I'm sure all of us will agree his conduct was reprehensible and he should be fired. I'm just asking how you want him charged. Obscene phone calls, maybe? (I don't know if that's still a crime.)

By the way, Plantation, FL, is my hometown. Needless to say, I'm very proud.

im at work and cant get the paperwork page to load ,but was it not said he would stick his hand down the girls pants?

YEP. :furious:

These men are not being held accountable. One of them was given the OPTION to resign and now works at a community college.

"Crime" or not, I hardly think they should be allowed the PRIVILEGE to continue teaching children. Period.

I haven't done enough research to quote the statutes, etc. but a determined DA could stick them with something...at the very least they should loose their licenses.

Teachers are role models, they are in a position of power. It makes me absolutely ill that these men are free to continue to be around young girls. The damage they will almost certainly do AGAIN is something that an innocent child will have to carry with them for the rest of their life. Unacceptable.

First, can you tell us what crime you believe was committed? (I'm seriously asking.) The only Florida statutes I can find that relate to sexual abuse of minors require a "lewd or lascivious act upon or with the body of a child."

Unless I misread (entirely possible), no such act occurred in the case that began this thread. (In the other case cited, there WAS physical contact.)

For the record, I'm not defending the teacher. I'm sure all of us will agree his conduct was reprehensible and he should be fired. I'm just asking how you want him charged. Obscene phone calls, maybe? (I don't know if that's still a crime.)

By the way, Plantation, FL, is my hometown. Needless to say, I'm very proud.

I'm still trying to get a hold of the PPD detective that handled the case. The sheriff's investigator (as I said above) did conclude HIS report with a FOUNDED case of child abuse. Why the local PD did not take his finding into consideration I do not know, as yet. So, evidently the sexual child abuse investigator FOUND child abuse - you can't say those things to a child - maybe "threats" as he stated things that "he would do to her"?

Now, I have to ask, why would you want this guy walking around free? Would you want this guy living next door to you? Do you think this is the only time this guy has done this? I personally believe there are other victims out there - as this happened over two years ago and he's been walking free, probably thinking he is going to get away with this, which makes these perps bolder.

Plus, this guy pestered the little sister. He kept asking her to get the older one to call him, ask her why she (older) didn't call him, etc. That's harrassment - much less he was approaching this younger one at school.

So, I guess in answer to your question - I think, at the very least, he should have been charged with child abuse.

As far as "touching" - you can be arrested for child *advertiser censored* - and you certainly don't TOUCH them in that. Plus doing what he did on the phone (moaning - and "the act") is considered lewd and lacivious.

im at work and cant get the paperwork page to load ,but was it not said he would stick his hand down the girls pants?

That was the second guy - the one that resigned (JL).

YEP. :furious:

These men are not being held accountable. One of them was given the OPTION to resign and now works at a community college.

"Crime" or not, I hardly think they should be allowed the PRIVILEGE to continue teaching children. Period.

I haven't done enough research to quote the statutes, etc. but a determined DA could stick them with something...at the very least they should loose their licenses.

Teachers are role models, they are in a position of power. It makes me absolutely ill that these men are free to continue to be around young girls. The damage they will almost certainly do AGAIN is something that an innocent child will have to carry with them for the rest of their life. Unacceptable.

No - EmMom - I think (JL) was working at the community college when he did this. Which is also why I think he wasn't charged with anything - it could be the students were 18.

Swag,
Thanks for clearing that up. But why would the SB have anything to do with his offenses if he was at the CC? Do they have jurisdiction there, too?

Oh, this makes me ill...

Swag,
Thanks for clearing that up. But why would the SB have anything to do with his offenses if he was at the CC? Do they have jurisdiction there, too?

Oh, this makes me ill...
Yes - THAT particular community college is under the "jurisdiction" of the public school board. I think this came into effect once the high schools started offering college level credits on the high school level.

I say this because in the material allegations - it says he was a teacher for the district but does not mention a school - if he had been teaching in a elem, middle or high - it would have specifically named the school. So, that's where my logic is going - he was an adjunct professor at this local community college - under the "umbrella" of the school board.

Without taking the time to look up the Florida statutes - I would say both men could be charged with Lewd and Lascivious (sp?) behavior against a child, Misuse of their position, child abuse of a sexual nature, etc. There are probably 4 or 5 stats that could be used agains both these guys to see that they got some jail time.

Salem

I'm still trying to get a hold of the PPD detective that handled the case. The sheriff's investigator (as I said above) did conclude HIS report with a FOUNDED case of child abuse. Why the local PD did not take his finding into consideration I do not know, as yet. So, evidently the sexual child abuse investigator FOUND child abuse - you can't say those things to a child - maybe "threats" as he stated things that "he would do to her"?

Now, I have to ask, why would you want this guy walking around free? Would you want this guy living next door to you? Do you think this is the only time this guy has done this? I personally believe there are other victims out there - as this happened over two years ago and he's been walking free, probably thinking he is going to get away with this, which makes these perps bolder.

Plus, this guy pestered the little sister. He kept asking her to get the older one to call him, ask her why she (older) didn't call him, etc. That's harrassment - much less he was approaching this younger one at school.

So, I guess in answer to your question - I think, at the very least, he should have been charged with child abuse.

As far as "touching" - you can be arrested for child *advertiser censored* - and you certainly don't TOUCH them in that. Plus doing what he did on the phone (moaning - and "the act") is considered lewd and lacivious....

(Cut because the rest of Swag's post deals with the other case.)

(Emphasis added.) I believe I made it very clear that I was NOT defending the teacher, nor was I arguing he should "go free."

But not all reprehensible behavior is criminal. I'm just curious as to what the criminal charges might be in this case.

"Child abuse" can mean a lot of things. When I looked up Florida statutes dealing with that phrase, I got the reference to physical contact. It's clear an adult can't legally have sexual contact with a 16-year-old in Florida, but whether sexual discussions are prohibited, I don't know.

Here are Florida statutes on lewd and lascivious behavior:

http://naturistaction.org/StatesFrames/State_Laws_Frames/Florida_Laws/body_florida_laws.html

As you'll see, once the victim is 16, the definitions of "lewd and lascivious" get much stricter.

It might well be argued that the younger sister was sexually harrassed by the teacher as he pressured her to get her teenaged sister to call. But sexual harrassment is often a civil matter, not a crime.

BTW, a prosecutor who looks for "something to stick him with" is violating his ethical obligation as a D.A. Which isn't to say it doesn't happen.

I just find it highly interesting that the sheriff investigator concluded his report as "founded - child abuse", yet the arresting authority investigator did not arrest or charge. I know that different factions of LE - ie: sheriff vs. local pd , sometimes get into pizzing matches and am wondering if that is what happened here. IF that is the case, IMO it is horrible.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back