TopGunner

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
AdoraBlue
user_offline.gif

I've been known to be a little too "woo-woo."

S. La. deaths raise concerns of serial killer
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...811160306/1062
JENNINGS — More than three years ago, Jefferson Davis Parish authorities began investigating the deaths of Jennings women who were known to live illicit lifestyles.

All the women were in their 20s and had escalated levels of cocaine and alcohol in their bodies when they were found in rural but public areas of the small, poor parish.

With a seventh body found Saturday that is suspected to be that of the 17-year-old relative of one of the victims, officials are investigating tips but are without a lead suspect. (emphasis added)

Lengthy article and timeline at link.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...811160304/1062
Serial murder not unfamiliar to S. La.

I believe there is a serial killer on the loose there.
I'm so thankful these girls have got their own forum!

I do too MeoW333. If this was the case of drug dealers killing people who didn't pay, there would be dead men floating in the canals too. I live in Murder Capital and we don't have women's bodies showing up all over the place. 7 murdered and discarded young women in 4 years is way over the top for a town of 10,000 residents.

Thank you DotsEyes for your interest and concern for these women. I too live in Louisiana (northeast) and am glad that these women's families may get the justice they deserve. Shining the light on this can only help LE in Jennings understand that this is important to all of us in the state. I just really noticed in our local paper a month or so ago the story about these murders and mentioned to my husband what a great thing it would be for ws to help out. I have been following the post in Crimes in the News and am delighted to see a forum dedictated to these women. Bravo!

everlearning, we have to get some other members interested in this case, maybe some media too.

This is a small, close knit community where everyone knows everyone. Teresa Gary, mother of the latest victim, Brittany (17) knew all of the girls as did many other people. All the girls (I call them girls because they were all so young to me.) lived on the south side of the town of Jennings, which I assume is the area south of the RR tracks. They are all reported to have been drug and alcohol abusers, the drug of choice being cocaine. It was reported that all exchanged sex for drugs and all had high levels of cocaine and alcohol in their systems at autopsy.

There may be a connection to the fast food places in Jennings, although from what I understand there aren't too many choices of employment in Jennings. Therefore, this may be more of an economy issue rather than a lead to a perp. However, the first thing I thought was of a fast food worker who jumped from place to place. Someone who was fired or left one place and went to another - a few times. Surely though, this has been checked by LE because it is so obvious.

Then there is the drug angle. It is rumored that the husband of one victim was/is a drug dealer and that he was friends with the husband of another victim. The names are listed in the "victims" thread.

There is no established cause of death for 5 of the victims. The 2 Black girls had their throats slit. From what I read some of the other bodies were far too decomposed to determine COD.

Most of the victims' bodies were dumped in very close proximity to one another. Shontel "Muggy" Brown and Brittany were dumped quite far away from the rest. They were best friends despite the difference in age.

I think these murders are not getting the attention these girls deserve because the girls are from poor socio-economic families, have a history of drugs/prostitution and no one is talking. There also seems to be some serious dis-trust of local LE, but that is common in such communities.

5 arrests, all dismissed for lack of evidence. No one is talking.

Brittany was 5 blocks from home at the Family Dollar Store, then disappeared into thin air. I don't know if she left the store walking towards her house, or in another direction. She bought minutes for her cell phone, so it seems obvious to check her cell records, which I am sure was done, to see who she was calling. Brittany was afraid. She was murdered only 1 week after her family returned from 4 months in TX.

We need some folks from Jennings here. Do you know anyone there?

Seems there is a bit of time (over 1 year) between victims #2 and 3 and victims # 5 and 6. Could it be that the perp is in the military and was overseas (Iraq) during these times?

DotsEyes I don't know anyone (that I kow of!) in Jennings. As you know, small communities in LA all seem to have the same distrust in LE. Of course, some times that has been warranted unfortunately. I will be much more observant from now on and see what I can find out. Most people probably think that this will not effect them because they are not into these girls lifestyle. Serial Killer that has been active for many years - this is just plain scary to me. Just one girl on the right side of the tracks getting hurt and we will probably see some action. All murders should get the same attention yet we know in the real world they don' t always.

I don't care what the girls' lifestyles were except that the details may lead to the murderer. We have tons more drug abusing prostitutes here and they don't end up in canals or dumped on roads days after their murders. We have tons more drug abusers who are not prostitutes and they don't show up dead either. We have gang bangers and the women don't show up in the morgue either.

This is someone preying upon women in Jennings and he thinks no one will care that they are gone, but all of these girls have families who loved them and miss them.

Welcome to Websleuths, Everlearning!:Welcome-12-june:

Welcome to Websleuths, Everlearning!:Welcome-12-june:

Thanks for the welcome, MeoW333. I don't post often, my comfort zone is lurking but a few times I felt something was important enough for me to say a few words. I love WS and am amazed and thrilled how folks in all walks of life and places in this world care enough about strangers that they want to get involved. Just a great "word picture" of "love your brother as yourself".

Thanks for the welcome, MeoW333. I don't post often, my comfort zone is lurking but a few times I felt something was important enough for me to say a few words. I love WS and am amazed and thrilled how folks in all walks of life and places in this world care enough about strangers that they want to get involved. Just a great "word picture" of "love your brother as yourself".

Your words are valued here, Everlearning :)
Sometimes, even things that may seem small turn out to be very important.

Does anyone know what is going on with America's Most Wanted doing a segment about the Jennings girls? I don't have tv that works (2 fuzzy channels; we never had cable) so if anyone knows, thank you in advance

Could the period of time lapse between the murders be that the person was in jail?

Sdavidson - that is a theory that is bounced around in the main discussion thread. I wonder if it could be someone in the military who was sent back for a 2d tour of duty.

There are many young women murdered along the I-10 corridor from LA to TX and some think that this may all be the work of a mobil SK, traveling this stretch of I-10 on a regular basis. It could be that some of the other I-10 murders occurred in the lapses we see in Jennings. I haven't read about all the I-10 murders yet, so I don't know if they are related or if there are murders in the Jennings gaps.

And, no I haven't seen a thing about a scheule for an AMW show on the murders.

I thought I might email Greta and see if FOX shows any interest in a possible serial killer in Louisiana. If they took just a few minutes and checked out what has been gathered here so far, they would see a compeling case being made for a SK. Won't hurt to try.

Hi I'm a long time lurker and just wanted to say that I'm glad to see these cases being mentioned. Hopefully there will be a break soon.

I do travel through Jennings about once every 2-4 months or so en route to Lake Charles (where my daughter's orthodontist is) but I can't say we've ever stopped to check out the sights. :rolleyes:

My husband is from Jennings. After the second body was found, I said..serial killer and everyone laughed. Now 7 bodies later.......

Just something I was thinking of.....the route between the dollar store and Brittany's destination (last vic.) was not a long one as I recall. Everyone was thinking that she got into a car (though scared, so she had to feel OK around person) and yet no one saw anything, suspicious car....What if she went to a house on that walk. Then no car would have even been seen picking her up...I wonder if law enforcement has checked all addresses from point a to point b....someone might stick out with criminal history, known assoc. etc....

MysteryGirl - it is reported that the Family Dollar Store is a 5 block walk from Brittany's house. She was seen there are about 5:30p buying cell phone minutes. It would have been dark already by that time. I have wondered if she went to a nearby house too. (It is rumored that she used drugs of some kind, so I wonder if she went to buy some at her contact's house.)

Yes, her mother said she was afraid because of all the murders, so if she got into a car it has to be someone she knew or she would have made a noisy scene. (one would think)

Geauxgirl - I am not sure there is anything much to see except some fast food places and the Dollar Store. But, if you want to take a detour through town next time, you can give us the 411 on the place. :)

MysteryGirl - it is reported that the Family Dollar Store is a 5 block walk from Brittany's house. She was seen there are about 5:30p buying cell phone minutes. It would have been dark already by that time. I have wondered if she went to a nearby house too. (It is rumored that she used drugs of some kind, so I wonder if she went to buy some at her contact's house.)

Yes, her mother said she was afraid because of all the murders, so if she got into a car it has to be someone she knew or she would have made a noisy scene. (one would think)

Geauxgirl - I am not sure there is anything much to see except some fast food places and the Dollar Store. But, if you want to take a detour through town next time, you can give us the 411 on the place. :)

I agree in that it was someone who wasn't a stranger to her. She was aware of the danger and stressed about being safe:

"You don't know who you can trust anymore...
These were some of the last words Brittany Ann Gary said to her mother before she went missing.
"They can be your friend," the 17 year-old girl had said, "You just never know."
http://digitopus.com/?tag=brittany-ann-gary

Sounds like maybe Brittany had an idea she knew the killer, Brittany did have connections to at least 4 of the victims.
It's a small area; some of the victims knew eachother and they all knew the killer.
I don't think they were killed for having anything to do with the drug trade. It'd be dumb for dealers to kill off their customers when working with such a small area to begin with.
The killer has an addiction to killing, that is sure. He most likely had been stalking the girls for awhile prior to killing them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back