Actor Ron Silver dies at age of 62

PattyCake

Gypsy By Heart
Reaction score
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/03/15/entertainment/main4867156.shtml?tag=topHome;topStories

I've seen him a lot in roles. He was a very passionate man. Although I may not agree with his political stance, it's a shame that Hollywood punished him for being republican. That's wrong to not provide work to ANYONE based on their political choice. :(

His big-screen credits included "Ali," "Reversal of Fortune," "Enemies: A Love Story," "Silkwood" and "Semi-Tough."

Besides "The West Wing," Silver was a regular or had recurring roles on such TV shows as "Veronica's Closet," "Chicago Hope" and "Wiseguy." He directed and costarred in the 1993 TV movie "Lifepod," a science-fiction update of Alfred Hitchcock's "Lifeboat."

Silver's Tony for "Speed-the-Plow" came in 1988, a year after he earned his first Emmy nomination, for the murder thriller "Billionaire Boys Club."

Silver still found work despite his conservative shift, appearing in episodes of "Law & Order" and "Crossing Jordan" and such movies as "Find Me Guilty" and the Ten Commandments comedy "The Ten."

I loved Ron Silver. I admired him for his acting and his political stance. He wasn't afraid to voice his opinions even if it was different than the majority of Hollywood.

Rest in Peace Ron.

Rest in Peace Ron.

He was a refreshing change of voice for the status quo of hollywood. I've always admired someone that wasn't afraid to voice an opinion, even if that opinion was different from everyone else.

I love what he brought to his roles.

I didn't know his name, but I've seen him in many of roles. He was a very good actor.

May he RIP.

fran

I thank you for bringing the news of his passing to my attention.

I have long been a fan of Ron Silver's acting.

He, and his talent, will be missed.

RIP and prayers to his loved ones.

He was a great actor and obviously a man who wasn't afraid to stand up for what he believed in.

Rest in Peace Ron Silver! He was in one of my favorite movies that never really made it as a Major Motion Picture. It was called "Garbo Talks" (1984). He starred in it with Anne Bancroft. She was dying and her dying wish was to meet Greta Garbo. As a loving son, he makes it his last gift to her to find Garbo ( a recluse) and bring her to his dying mother. It is a Wonderful movie that I highly recommend.

Actors blame periods of un- or underemployment on everything from astrological signs to imaginary vendettas; yet the fact is, even the best actors rarely work as often as they would like.

Silver was cast in a major TV series (Skin) in 2003, shortly after the beginning of the Iraq War and his support for that war. The series failed after a few episodes (in 2004) and it took Silver the rest of that year to get his career back on track. This isn't unusual; many if not most 2004 projects would have been cast while Silver was still under contract to Skins.

When he began to work regularly again (in 2005), it was on the single most liberal show on broadcast TV, The West Wing.

Even Silver admitted he couldn't point to one specific example where he wasn't hired because of his political beliefs. He might just as well have blamed the fact that at age 57 or thereabouts, he was transitioning into playing older characters; many talented actors find they work less during such transitions.

Compared to artists like Bill Mahr and the Dixie Chicks, who suffered very real and verifiable financial consequences (ABC show cancelled, records banned from country radio, respectively) for speaking in opposition to the war, it's hard to see how Silver had much of a beef.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back