GUILTY PA - Three Pittsburgh PD officers killed in Stanton Heights shootout, 4 April 2009

AlwaysShocked

Reaction score
This is a still developing story at this time. Happened in the Stanton Heights section of Pittsburgh, police answered a domestic call. Dishonorably discharged ex-Marine used semi-automatic to mow down officers. Three dead, one hospitalized.

Wounded woman still in basement of home. Bomb squad just arrived on scene to check out house for bombs before the woman can be rescued.

A man opened fire on officers responding to a domestic disturbance call Saturday morning, killing three of them, before barricading himself in the home, a police official said.
At least five officers were wounded, police spokeswoman Diane Richard said. It's not clear if that included the slain officers.
The man who fired at the officers was arrested after a several-hour standoff. One witness reported hearing hundreds of shots. (more at link)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30043893/

Police chief Nate Harper says the motive for Saturday's shooting isn't clear.

Friends say the gunman recently had been upset about losing his job and that he feared the Obama administration was poised to ban guns.

The three dead officers are Eric Kelly, Stephen Mayhle and Paul Sciullo III. Kelly had been on the force for 14 years and the other two only two years each.

Another officer was shot in the hand and a fifth broke his leg on a fence.

The gunman, 23-year-old Richard Poplawski, was arrested after a four-hour standoff.

Perkovic, a 22-year-old who said he was Poplawski's best friend, said he got a call at work from him in which he said, "Eddie, I am going to die today. ... Tell your family I love them and I love you."

Poplawski had an AK-47 rifle and several powerful handguns, including a .357 Magnum.

More information: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,512560,00.html

I would like to correct the term "ex-marine" used in my initial post. This description of the shooter was reported on the local news here in Pittsburgh this morning.

Since then, it has been reported that the shooter never made it through Marine boot camp - thus he is NOT an ex-marine.

I would like to correct the term "ex-marine" used in my initial post. This description of the shooter was reported on the local news here in Pittsburgh this morning.

Since then, it has been reported that the shooter never made it through Marine boot camp - thus he is NOT an ex-marine.

ITA!

I think the title of the thread needs to be changed.

This was a wannabee Marine and he didn't make the grade and they booted him out.

He is no ex-Marine that is for sure.

imo

090404-officers-bcol-2p.standard.jpg

Stephen Mayhle, Eric Kelly, Paul J. Sciullo

God bless them.
:rose::rose::rose:

photo: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30043893/

Horrific loss... prayers for all touched by this senseless tragedy.

During & in the aftermath media coverage of the shootings in NY yesterday, I thought 'how many unstable people are getting ideas from all this coverage?' This may not have been a copycat event, but it seems a good time to discuss whether sensationalism of admitedly sensational crimes is a good idea... not that the media would tone down what sells. Comments?

I think there are some unstable, enraged characters out there who are using this type of response to life's unpredictability as an excuse to take down a few innocent folks with them. If the shooter has to suffer, so does anyone in his path. The media coverage of a previous event might push them to finally act, but I'd imagine some sort of violence toward others was going to happen anyway.

According to CNN's story (don't have link handy, but will find if asked), today's whack-job apparently has a history of violence. He was booted out of the Marines for throwing a tray at a sergeant (bright move--he's lucky he was only discharged and not broken into small pieces). He's also had numerous arguments and a few fist-fights with neighbors.

And per another CNN story, yesterday's lunatic was angry about losing his job and being mocked for his limited English, among other issues. He too had plenty of violent incidents in his past.

The interesting thing about both shooters was that family and friends seemed to have clear warnings about each man's violent tendencies. But they either ignored it or dismissed it. Nowadays, life is too scary to blow off a violent person's violent threats. All JMHO.

Thanks AlwaysShocked for that correction. This nut was thrown out of boot camp for throwing a tray of food at a drill sargeant! Also, he was expelled from a Catholic High School.

I've pm'd our wonderful mods to change the thread title and take out the reference to "ex-marine." I too am bothered by the title considering this never made it out of boot camp.

Salem

Thank you to the mods for changing the title of this thread.

The interesting thing about both shooters was that family and friends seemed to have clear warnings about each man's violent tendencies. But they either ignored it or dismissed it. Nowadays, life is too scary to blow off a violent person's violent threats. All JMHO.[/quote]

(The above bolded/snipped by me.) I agree - these people are timebombs and this is so scary. It can happen anywhere. But I wonder what the families really can do. Don't we all know people who hve violent tempers, have trouble holding jobs, and maybe have a gun/hunt, etc....
I know I do. I don't know what can be done to prevent this unless they say what they plan to do. I am honestly asking because I know some people who wouldn't surprise me if they did something like this someday - just their personalities, temper, etc.... Does anybody else feel this way?

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/19096134/detail.html

quotes from mother:
According to the police criminal complaint obtained by WTAE Channel 4 Action News on Sunday, Poplawski's mother said her son has been "stockpiling guns and ammunition, buying and selling the weapons online because he believed that as a result of economic collapse, the police were no longer able to protect society."

"He has a few weapons. I know he has a machine gun, I know he has a couple rifles and I know he has a couple handguns…They're recreational, and for deer hunting and for everything. I mean, he's not a bad kid," Klimczyk said.

Yet when asked by dispatcher if there were weapons in the house she said NO!!! I'm wondering if she will be charged with anything.
Also, in addition to telling 911 that her son had a small arsenal in the house she might have added he was wearing a bullet proof vest.

Fight over urinating dog got police to PA ambush

PITTSBURGH (AP) - A 911 call that brought two city police officers to a home where they were ambushed, and where a third was later killed during a four-hour siege, was precipitated by a fight between the gunman and his mother over a dog urinating in the house.

The Saturday morning argument between Margaret and Richard Poplawski escalated to the point that she threatened to kick him out and called police to do it, according to a 12-page criminal complaint and affidavit filed late Saturday that contains her account.

When officers Paul Sciullo III and Stephen Mayhle arrived, Margaret Poplawski opened the door and told them to come in and take her 23-year-old son, apparently unaware that he had grabbed a long rifle and was standing behind her, according to the court papers. She told investigators she heard gunshots, spun around and ran to the basement, shouting, "What the hell have you done?"

Autopsies show Sciullo, 37, died of wounds to the head and torso, while Mayhle, 29, was shot in the head.

A third officer, Eric Kelly, 41, was killed as he arrived to assist the first two officers. Kelly was in uniform but on his way home when he responded and was gunned down in the street.

Kelly's radio call for help summoned other officers, including a SWAT team. The ensuing standoff included a gun battle in which police say Richard Poplawski tried to kill at least nine other officers.

Poplawski is charged with three counts of criminal homicide and nine counts of attempted homicide - one each for the officers he allegedly fired at, including one who was shot in the hand as he tried to help Kelly.

Poplawski was also charged with possessing an instrument of crime: the bulletproof vest he wore during the gun battle with police. The criminal complaint doesn't say how Poplawski obtained the vest.

Police Chief Nate Harper Jr. has said the vest kept Poplawski from being more seriously wounded, but police have not specifically said how many shots were stopped by the vest.

A district judge arraigned Poplawski at UPMC Presbyerian Hospital, an arraignment court worker told The Associated Press on Sunday. Poplawski was being treated there for gunshot wounds to his legs and remains under guard. Police and hospital officials have not released his condition, though he is expected to survive.

It was not immediately clear if Poplawski has an attorney. A preliminary hearing, at which Poplawski could challenge the charges, wasn't immediately scheduled.

Poplawski is also charged with firing weapons into two occupied neighboring homes and with recklessly endangering four civilians with gunfire. None were wounded.

Police did not immediately say why Poplawski fired toward the neighboring homes, but some officers were seen going into nearby homes and perching on rooftops in an attempt to control the scene.

Clifford Lane Lawless has 2 sons Brian, Brett and daughter Joni and 9 grandchildren............'all doing GOD's work"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back