2008.10.14 Casey A Arrest Video - Can it be Used in Court?

trafficsUP66

Reaction score
I understand once a suspect invokes their right to have an attorney present during questioning that none that are asked/answered can be used against them HOWEVER, what about a person who continues speaking, as in conversation with the detectives without a Q & A?

Since she just continues to speak without provocation from the detectives, can this video be used in court to show her totally flippant attitude, her body language and the fact that she appears to be actually fishing for information herself?

I'm really interested in finding out because I see this video as just another piece of evidence that shows the depravity of this 'suspect's' entire mindset regarding her missing child, who was actually already dead & all but forgotten by her own mother at the very time of her arrest!

Yes, it could be used to show demeanor (since this was AFTER the presser Jose' gave after the Grand Jury indicted her and AFTER she was arrested under the bridge on the highway) and the implications that could be derived from that, since she is pretty relaxed and, to my mind, flirty. I wonder if this could have ended that day if they'd put a hunky copper in there with her and let him flirt back, sorta.

I would think yes. I was a juror on a murder trial many many years ago. The prosecution showed us a tape...similar to this one...in that it showed the defendant's cold indifference. It was an image that stuck with the jury for sure. I couldn't get over in that tape how much she adjusted her clothing and flipped her hair. She was constant motion. She was clearly agitated but still primping primping primping. She is all about the primp. That would not be lost on a jury.

I understand once a suspect invokes their right to have an attorney present during questioning that none that are asked/answered can be used against them HOWEVER, what about a person who continues speaking, as in conversation with the detectives without a Q & A?

Since she just continues to speak without provocation from the detectives, can this video be used in court to show her totally flippant attitude, her body language and the fact that she appears to be actually fishing for information herself?

I'm really interested in finding out because I see this video as just another piece of evidence that shows the depravity of this 'suspect's' entire mindset regarding her missing child, who was actually already dead & all but forgotten by her own mother at the very time of her arrest!

See if you can view this from this morning. Judge Houtising thinks it will not be admissible.
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/local/040709judge_discovery

I was absolutely amazed when watching KC in the arrest video.
In the past, I have displayed more anxiety when being pulled over for a traffic violation.

I think KC thinks every man is interested in getting it on with her.
She thinks there is not a man out there she can't seduce.

Did KC not know she was being video-taped? I can't get over the constant tucking in, pulling, and fidgeting with her hair and clothes. What is wrong with this woman???

I do hope the jury gets to see this video.

I was absolutely amazed when watching KC in the arrest video.
In the past, I have displayed more anxiety when being pulled over for a traffic violation.

I think KC thinks every man is interested in getting it on with her.
She thinks there is not a man out there she can't seduce.

Did KC not know she was being video-taped? I can't get over the constant tucking in, pulling, and fidgeting with her hair and clothes. What is wrong with this woman???

I do hope the jury gets to see this video.

(bolded by me)
I know, right? She has a rather involved conversation early on about all rooms being bugged, being told that, though the officer himself had never been in that part of the building, he would guess that yes, they were, and that STILL gets her talking on and on, giggling, flirting, primping. She's definitely someone who relies on what people think of her looks to get through day-to-day life. Earth to Casey: Chewing gum likes that makes you appear like a pig. Chew with your mouth closed! Stop popping the gum!

I think invoking your rights means you cant be forced, but if you keep running off at the mouth, this right does not protect you. I dont know if this tape can be used for whatever other reason but if they'd taken her down and she asked for JB then broke down sobbing admitting she killed her daughter, it would certainly be admissable.

(bolded by me)
I know, right? She has a rather involved conversation early on about all rooms being bugged, being told that, though the officer himself had never been in that part of the building, he would guess that yes, they were, and that STILL gets her talking on and on, giggling, flirting, primping. She's definitely someone who relies on what people think of her looks to get through day-to-day life. Earth to Casey: Chewing gum likes that makes you appear like a pig. Chew with your mouth closed! Stop popping the gum!

I'm betting under normal circumstances, those particular investigators wouldn't give KC the time of day. KC's looks are such that she would not stand out in a crowd, IMO.

Eidited: added not

1-Am I the only one that gets bothered at how nice all the LE/FBI people seem to be to KC? I mean the woman is charged with killing her daughter. Out of all the people in either the audio of her on 8/28 or that video, NS seems to be the only one who isn't acting like she has just been arrested for a speeding ticket or something. You see her demeanour totally change when she's talking to him b/c he's not just chit-chatting with her but rather seems to take it seriously and not giggling along with her.

2-Right before KC met with JB privately she said she was all about talking to them with JB present. When they came out of that private meeting, he said she wanted to go to the jail and was invoking her rights. What do you think happened in that private meeting? That KC said "I really don't want to" (like she was just trying to put on a good show for them, as if she was concerned and wanted to help) or that JB talked her out of it?

2-Right before KC met with JB privately she said she was all about talking to them with JB present. When they came out of that private meeting, he said she wanted to go to the jail and was invoking her rights. What do you think happened in that private meeting? That KC said "I really don't want to" (like she was just trying to put on a good show for them, as if she was concerned and wanted to help) or that JB talked her out of it?

At the point in time this occurred Casey knew darn well they didn't and wouldn't believe a word she'd say. She was only agreeing to talk to LE once her attorney arrived to keep things "nicey-nicey". She was stalling in that oh so special Casey way. She didn't want to deal with anything that had to do with Caylee's disappearance.

All of her primping, poking and prodding of her person says to me it was all a show. Only to be furthered confirmed when she complained about media knowledge of the GJ and her obvious digs to try to get information from LE.

Casey went out of her way to avoid LE's assistance. I don't believe for one moment she truly wanted to help LE find her daughter. She only wanted to try to save herself.

1-Am I the only one that gets bothered at how nice all the LE/FBI people seem to be to KC? I mean the woman is charged with killing her daughter. Out of all the people in either the audio of her on 8/28 or that video, NS seems to be the only one who isn't acting like she has just been arrested for a speeding ticket or something. You see her demeanour totally change when she's talking to him b/c he's not just chit-chatting with her but rather seems to take it seriously and not giggling along with her.

I've probably watched too many movies and police procedurals, but I thought maybe the ones who are nice to her are hoping to get her to slip up if they treat her like she's their friend. To me in these videos it looks like she falls for it to some degree, even though she doesn't admit anything. IMO she thinks they like her or find her attractive. There's got to be some psychology involved in police work, I would think, as far as sizing up your suspect or informant and trying to figure out what kind of approach will work on them best. Unfortunately for LE, I'm sure Casey would actually rather sit in jail forever than talk about what happened to Caylee.

#1 - Isn't it typical for LE to play the "good cop/bad cop" roles?? Or is that only in Law & Order & other tv shows/movies?? In watching her engage with the 1st guy in the room with her, I was waiting for the other guy to come in and get tough with her. Didn't happen. They needed to take off the gloves and not let her out of that room until she talked.
(I know, I watch too much TV.)

#2 - She is just like her mother - talks out of both sides of her mouth!!

1.Have to say, I noticed that as well. I would like to believe they engaged in friendly conversation with KC hoping she would start talking. In KC's mind, she probably thought they were coming on to her. Maybe the high-profile status of the case had something to do with it. They wanted to be on their best behavior. IMO, they over did it a bit.

2. I think it was both. KC had no intention of talking to them. If she had been willing, Baez would have stopped her.

I've probably watched too many movies and police procedurals, but I thought maybe the ones who are nice to her are hoping to get her to slip up if they treat her like she's their friend. To me in these videos it looks like she falls for it to some degree, even though she doesn't admit anything. IMO she thinks they like her or find her attractive. There's got to be some psychology involved in police work, I would think, as far as sizing up your suspect or informant and trying to figure out what kind of approach will work on them best. Unfortunately for LE, I'm sure Casey would actually rather sit in jail forever than talk about what happened to Caylee.

This is my opinion too.

Wish they had tried the friendly approach instead of the aggressive approach when they first interviewed her.

I would think yes. I was a juror on a murder trial many many years ago. The prosecution showed us a tape...similar to this one...in that it showed the defendant's cold indifference. It was an image that stuck with the jury for sure. I couldn't get over in that tape how much she adjusted her clothing and flipped her hair. She was constant motion. She was clearly agitated but still primping primping primping. She is all about the primp. That would not be lost on a jury.

Correct affinity, Casey almost re-dresses herself. Tucks in her shirt, fools with her nails, pulls up her socks, brushes her hair back many times. She does everything except pick her nose. And, she didn't do that because she knew the camera was rolling.
I can hardly stand to listen or watch the video. She is trying hard to outsmart the cops. I'm sure they've seen all kinds of personalities but Casey probably has them still shaking their head. She flirts, she acts coy, she wants them to believe she is savy on the law and her rights. Come on, Casey you ain't fooling anyone. We all know you never tried to cooperate with the cops about your missing daughter. All you did was lie and lie some more.
jmo

(bolded by me)

debs, thanks for pointing that out. The gum chomping runs in the family. Are they all trying to quit smoking or trying to stop biting their nails? What's with the constant gum chewing. Nervous energy or just can't keep their mouths still.
jmo

debs, thanks for pointing that out. The gum chomping runs in the family. Are they all trying to quit smoking or trying to stop biting their nails? What's with the constant gum chewing. Nervous energy or just can't keep their mouths still.
jmo

lol, imo, it's the latter. I, of course know people that chew gum occasionally, but don't know of anyone, that chews 24/7. Have we ever seen the A's when they didn't have gum in their mouth? :rolleyes:

It's a good thing they don't live in Singapore where people are fined 1,000 for chewing gum in public.

Where can I see this entire tape? I saw one but it was juat a snip of it really.

Thanks!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back