CT CT - Awilda Marrero, 44, Enfield, 6 April 2009

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-web-enfield-search-0408.artapr08,0,5085546.story

7 April 09

Police continued their search today for Aweldi Marrero, 44, who was last seen by her daughter early Monday morning on Asnuntuck Street.

Police are concerned Marrero may try to harm herself. This morning a Massachusetts state police airplane assisted police by checking the banks of the Connecticut River. Marrero was not located.

Police said Marrero has medical problems and no car or driver's license. She has no friends or other family members in the area, they said.

She is described as Hispanic, 5 feet 1 inch, 165 pounds, with brown eyes and hair, police said. Anyone with information is asked to call the Enfield police at 860-763-8912.

pic
46019294-06185823.jpg

http://www.wfsb.com/news/22581189/detail.html

Months-Long Search For Missing Woman Continues
Woman Left Without Shoes, Purse, Police Say

POSTED: 1:55 pm EST February 16, 2010

ENFIELD, Conn. -- Police in Enfield are requesting the public's help in finding a woman missing since April.

Awilda Marrero, 43, was last seen on April 5.

Police said K-9 units tracked Marrero ot the area of the Connecticut River during an initial search, but lost her scene.

Marrero is described as a white woman with brown eyes and brown hair. She is 5 feet 1 inch tall and weights about 165 pounds. She may be wearing jeans and a brown jacket.

She was last seen in the area of Asnuntuck Street in Enfield. Police said she left the area with no shoes, cell phone or purse.

Anyone with information regarding Marrero's whereabouts is urged to contact the Enfield Police Department by dialing 860-763-8912.

22581216_240X180.jpg

I cant believe that I live in Enfield and have not heard of this.

Awilda has been missing for 5 years today.
She is ruled out as UP 11211 Found March '13 Vernon, Tolland County, CT. The local Patch site mentioned her when these remains were found in this article from March 2013:
http://windsorlocks.patch.com/group...d-human-remains-highlight-local-mis4fb020ef30

On the ruleout list, the state Awilda is Last Known Alive is listed as Puerto Rico? I'm not certain what that is all about but I'm going to guess that's a NamUs error.
Not Awilda -> https://identifyus.org/en/cases/11211

Awilda Marrero
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/marrero_awilda.html
marrero_awilda.jpg
marrero_awilda2.jpg

Awilda is still missing.

I found some research by a Reddit user on a "Missing in CT" subreddit:
Awilda Marrero was born on January 17, 1966. Some sources say she was white; others list her as Hispanic. (I know there is some controversy about how both terms are related, but I include all of the information I can in these posts.) She was between 5 and 5'1 and weighed 165 pounds. She had brown hair and brown eyes. She had pierced ears. She had a scar on her upper right arm. She has the name Mike tattooed on her left buttock and the name Joel tattooed on her right knee/thigh. She had unnamed medical problems - some articles mention she had bipolar disorder, so that may have been the disorder they were mentioning. She was taking medication at the time she disappeared. Dental and DNA records are available in this case. Fingerprint records are not.

Awilda was from Puerto Rico. They first lived in New Britain, CT before moving to Enfield, CT. Awilda did not have a car or a driver's license. Beyond her daughter, she had no family or friends in the area. She had family in New York City (about 2 and a half hours from Enfield.) Awilda had dated a man who was involved with drugs, but he was in prison when she went missing. She was already a grandmother of a one-year-old, and her daughter Angelica was expecting another baby five days after she went missing.

The night before Awilda went missing, she told her daughter's boyfriend to "take care of my daughter" if anything happened to her. She phoned her sister in NYC and told her that as well.

Her daughter, Angelica, said of the messages: "The next day she was gone. I don't know what she meant by that. That's why for me it was really strange."

Awilda was last seen by her 17 year old daughter, Angelica Carmona, in the area of Asnuntuck Street in Enfield, CT at 11:30 pm on April 6, 2009. Awilda was leaving her home at 16 Asnuntuck Street. It was raining. She left the house in the middle of the night without getting fully dressed. She was wearing a gray nightgown, jeans, and a brown jacket. She was barefoot. She didn’t have any of her belongings - she didn’t have a purse or a cell phone. When Angelica woke up at 7:30 the next day, her mother was gone. At first Angelica assumed her mom took an early morning walk or was fishing. Yet, Angelica wondered why her mother would have left without her shoes if that was the case.

Awilda's family did not hear anything strange that night, and there were no signs of entry into the home.

Angelica called the police the next day.

Detective Michael Bailey commented, "The door was unlocked, which is why we think she left on her own."

At first the police believed she may have gone to a nearby soup kitchen. The police searched the area with K-9 units and tracked Awilda to the Connecticut River on South River Street near a boat launch, but lost her scent. Angelica stated her mother may have been there two days before and that she loved to fish off the boat launch, so that may have been why the dogs smelled her. The police thought differently. The Connecticut River is the longest river in New England at about 406 miles. It travels through four states and borders Quebec. It discharges at Long Island Sound, producing 70% of the sound’s fresh water. (Asnuntuck follows Freshwater Brook, which connects to the Connecticut River. The beginning of Asnuntuck is about a quarter of a mile from the Connecticut River.) Boats were also deployed. A Massachusetts state police airplane checked the banks of the river, but Awilda was not found.

The search for Awilda continued into February of 2011. The Enfield police reached out to the media for help from the public. Nothing came of their requests.

Her social security number has not been used since that day.

Detective Bailey said, "We haven't had a sighting or remains that matched up to her since."

Lt. Willie Pedemonti said, "We have no reason to believe it was a homicide." He continued. "She could have started a new life, she could have changed her identity, and hasn't looked back." Angelica says the police believe Awilda killed herself.

But, Angelica just doesn't agree. Angelica stated that Awilda loved being a grandmother to her son, Jacob. She had bought clothes in anticipation of her second child, which was born as expected, five days after Awilda went missing. Her new daughter was named Tiara. Detective Bailey admits, "There was motive for her to stay."

Angelica says, "I think she got into a car," but was unable to speculate beyond that. No matter what happened, she wants closure. She says, "If she's dead or alive, we don't know."
Awilda Marrero – The Charley Project
https://www.namus.gov/MissingPersons/Case#/3939/

6 Unidentified Person Exclusions
1707075261347.jpeg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members