NY - Child Charged in Slide Tampering

I would NEVER in a million years (and I am a cautious person by nature) would have anticipated someone would do something like this-especially an 11 y/o child!

I will definitely be much more careful when I take my 3 1/2 y/o son to the park!

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=6753265

This is terrible! It's like nothing is normal anymore. Nothing is sacred anymore. Can't even take your child to the park without checking to see if the play- ground equipment has been tampered with to hurt children.

It's like this world has been surrounded and taken up by madness and evil. I have my feelings on a religious basis why I feel this is happening but I know I shouldn't go into that.

Sorry for this downer of a post. Just upset that good people can't just live their lives in peace.

How terrifying!

Even scarier - this playground is near where my grandparents used to live and where a lot of my extended family is. It's hard to tell b/c I am not that familiar with the area, but I very well may have brought my kids to this playground when they were younger.

I remember one in particular had a great, high, old-fashioned slide that we don't see much in the south anymore b/c ours are all those plastic twisty slides that come off the sides of pine play structures. My kids weren't sure if they liked it and needed some coaxing to climb the tall ladder.

I don't think it would ever have occurred to me to check for something like this. To think an 11yo did it is disturbing and frightening. He needs some serious psychiatric care.

Can you imagine being his parents and getting that phone call?

That is so far and above any type of prank a normal child would pull.

There is something very very wrong with that 11 yr old. I don't believe I have ever heard of such a vicious, well thought out plan by an 11 yr old. He needs professional help, and I won't be surprised if he turns out to have life long criminal activities. Good Lord!

I'm so happy the child that was injured is recovering. Bless his heart. 30 stitches :eek:

:eek: I am at a loss for words! How completely terrifying. What a disturbed child to do something like this.

What he did took alot of planning, where would he get such a devious idea?

OMG!!! What's next???? I can't believe some CHILD would be this sick! How sad.

I would NEVER in a million years (and I am a cautious person by nature) would have anticipated someone would do something like this-especially an 11 y/o child!

Unfortunately it appears children are actually more likely to do this sort of thing than adults. Like all animals of prey humans are born cruel, or rather without empathy, because it used to be an essential "quality" required for our survival in the kill-or-be-killed prehistoric world. Little kids for example usually have no misgivings about maiming or mutilating insects in the most cruel fashion until proper socialization and the development of empathy restricts this behavior to the relative necessity of killing insects or even animals (more rarely nowadays) without inflicting more suffering than necessary, and this often evolves in adults preferring to shoo insects outdoors rather than hurt them whenever possible. If I were a fly I'd much rather be let out than swatted but if I had to die I'd still much prefer swatting over having my legs and wings pulled out. Empathy is the ability for a human to think this way and is so ingrained in modern societies that soldiers must be "reprogrammed" to act more like primitive humans because unlike even relatively recent history (medieval times), soldiers have not be raised as such.

Obviously an 11-year-old who puts razor blades on slides displays a lack of empathy that is more characteristic of much younger children who, thankfully, lack the imagination or physical ability to conceive of such evil plans due to their young age, and usually develop a conscience and sense of guilt long before they can act on barbaric impulses. I think this kid might be a sociopath but it's hard to tell without knowing how he is reacting to the event. Is he enjoying the victim's pain, or does he feel guilty about it? If it's the latter there is hope, but if it's the former... :(

This is so disturbing. I can't imagine an 11 year old designing something like this.

Prayers for the injured boy and his family.

Unfortunately it appears children are actually more likely to do this sort of thing than adults. Like all animals of prey humans are born cruel, or rather without empathy, because it used to be an essential "quality" required for our survival in the kill-or-be-killed prehistoric world. Little kids for example usually have no misgivings about maiming or mutilating insects in the most cruel fashion until proper socialization and the development of empathy restricts this behavior to the relative necessity of killing insects or even animals (more rarely nowadays) without inflicting more suffering than necessary, and this often evolves in adults preferring to shoo insects outdoors rather than hurt them whenever possible. If I were a fly I'd much rather be let out than swatted but if I had to die I'd still much prefer swatting over having my legs and wings pulled out. Empathy is the ability for a human to think this way and is so ingrained in modern societies that soldiers must be "reprogrammed" to act more like primitive humans because unlike even relatively recent history (medieval times), soldiers have not be raised as such.

Obviously an 11-year-old who puts razor blades on slides displays a lack of empathy that is more characteristic of much younger children who, thankfully, lack the imagination or physical ability to conceive of such evil plans due to their young age, and usually develop a conscience and sense of guilt long before they can act on barbaric impulses. I think this kid might be a sociopath but it's hard to tell without knowing how he is reacting to the event. Is he enjoying the victim's pain, or does he feel guilty about it? If it's the latter there is hope, but if it's the former... :(

I was writing from a Mommy's point of view, imagining if it was my son who was injured/traumatized and couldn't imagine anyone willfully trying to harm him. The social worker in me, unfortunately, knows all too well about children lacking empathy. Given the extend this 11 y/o went to create his weapon, I highly doubt he has any remorse or guilt.

This is terrible! It's like nothing is normal anymore. Nothing is sacred anymore. Can't even take your child to the park without checking to see if the play- ground equipment has been tampered with to hurt children.

It's like this world has been surrounded and taken up by madness and evil. I have my feelings on a religious basis why I feel this is happening but I know I shouldn't go into that.

Sorry for this downer of a post. Just upset that good people can't just live their lives in peace.

I think we all feel as you do, Montana, at least at times.

But there have always been kids with sadistic tendancies. When I was 11 (mid-60s), walking to and from school was like navigating a war zone.

The differences today are (a) there are a lot more people in the U.S., and more importantly (b) we all get news from everywhere, thanks to technology such as the internet and the number of news outlets with air to fill, 24/7.

When I was 11, nobody where I lived (Florida) would have ever heard of an incident like this in Pleasant Valley.

30 stitches...good grief. I wonder if the 11 yr old was at the playground when the little guy got cut. I would think if he went to all of the trouble of getting that razor just right he would want to be there to see a little one get cut. This kid sounds like a sociopath to me. I hope his parents didn't just blow this off. Maybe the court will see to it that he gets some help.

30 stitches...good grief. I wonder if the 11 yr old was at the playground when the little guy got cut. I would think if he went to all of the trouble of getting that razor just right he would want to be there to see a little one get cut. This kid sounds like a sociopath to me. I hope his parents didn't just blow this off. Maybe the court will see to it that he gets some help.

I truly hope so, that is, if he CAN be helped. We might hear about this boy in years to come.:eek:

This video gives some more info.

The 11 yo had previously burned parts of the slide with a cigarette lighter. He also lives in the apt complex. They state that he is a 'troubled' child that has had run ins with the law before.

This video also shows the little boys injury. It is on his buttocks and looks awful!

His mother is alot nicer than I would be in this situation!

ETA: when you go to this link, go to video #2.

http://gothamist.com/2009/04/10/11-year-old_arrested_for_putting_ra.php

His father told WCBS 2, "It was horrifying to say the least. Every night we're changing the gauze and what not. The pain, the agony, the screaming," and added, "I feel bad for the other kid who was involved who did it. He's 11, so something is wrong with him, too."

apparently the boy had vandalized the Pleasant Valley playground before

I truly hope so, that is, if he CAN be helped. We might hear about this boy in years to come.:eek:

It's kind of scary, isn't it? If something escalates with this child, we won't even know it's him since we don't know his name. I'm all for privacy but it's scary to think that by the time he's old enough to have his name published, there could be many more victims if he isn't helped.

Great.....*sarcastic* I guess we now know where the 11 yo mother stands!

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/razor.slide.razor.2.982077.html

CBS 2 HD was told the suspect said he didn't mean to hurt anyone and his mother insists this was not an intentional act. Investigators said it certainly looks that way to them. In any event the case will be in the hands of a Dutchess County Family Court judge next Tuesday. The boy after all is only 11 years old.

This video gives some more info.

The 11 yo had previously burned parts of the slide with a cigarette lighter. He also lives in the apt complex. They state that he is a 'troubled' child that has had run ins with the law before.

This video also shows the little boys injury. It is on his buttocks and looks awful!

His mother is alot nicer than I would be in this situation!

ETA: when you go to this link, go to video #2.

I can't bring myself to watch the video, thanks for posting it though.

This is a snippet from the article:

"An 11-year-old knows the difference between right and wrong, but what an 11-year-old doesn't know is are the consequences of his actions whether right or wrong," one doctor said."

At what age are we as parents supposed to teach our children consequences? I think this doctor is full of it.:mad:

Ya know, the more I think of this, the more upset I get!

What if Sean has slid down the slide on his stomach (like my boys love to do)?

Can you even fathom the scope of his injuries if he had?!

I don't think the system is doing right by the victim, Sean. JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong