Huckaby's Family Speaks

Columbo

Reaction score
I hope no one has posted this link in another thread. Her family speaks before going to church services at the Church where Sandra may have been killed. They won't identify themselves. The man who is the main speaker looks a lot like her. He seems too old to be her brother (?) It's hard to tell what relationship they are to her. The link will take you to a page where the video is available.

http://www.news10.net/video/default.aspx?aid=72953

I've gotta' say, her family seems pretty normal and are definitely well-spoken. What a monstrosity this is.

Love to hear what went on that day from Connie.
Connie see Sandra at door also?
Connie was home!
What was MLH mood?
What was MLH wearing?
What did MHL look like when she got back home?
How long was MLH gone?
(How long does it take to murder a little child, clean up, pack child up and dispose of Sandra all by MLH self?)
What did MLH do when she got back home?
What kind of mother was MLH?
Where was Lane all this time?
I think the Lawless's have allot of talking to do.

They want the truth to come out, no matter what that truth is......

Another family could learn a thing or two from them.

BTW, there are two videos with the same title. The family statement is 6:17 mins long. The other one, 3:20 mins, identifies the gentleman speaking at the presser as her father.

The man speaking at the presser is her Uncle Brett. The second, shorter video has her father Brian who is not shown in the presser.

BTW, there are two videos with the same title. The family statement is 6:17 mins long. The other one, 3:20 mins, identifies the gentleman speaking at the presser as her father.

I just went back and watched them both. I had read the printed statement earlier today from an " anonymous" family member, probably part of Brett's video.
The videos have a much greater emotional impact...

I believe these people are in shock, possibly some denial to be able to go into the building where Sandra was murdered and conduct an Easter service, but they do seem very sincere and very hurt.

I hurt for the Lawless family, as well as for the Cantu family. I didn't before now, but I do now. I think it was very courageous and also very helpful for the Lawless family members to make statements to the public on camera.

Maria

Her family does appear to be very normal and well spoken. Their response was very appropriate, imo.

I did note the reporter said Melissa wasn't allowed visitors at this time and they will try again tomorrow. It was reported earlier she had refused visitors. Hmmm...

I agree with the others who mentioned their feelings on this family from the statements made today. I thought they were extremely respectful of the Chavez family and Sandra, mentioning prayer for her and her family. Most importantly, I respected how it was repeated that it was not the time or place to talk about Huckaby right now. I hesitate to even type this, but while I *completely* understand the frustration of the Chavez family in seeing their little ones accused murderer's family speak of their shock, it was unfortunate that the uncle was asked about their comments and said he wanted to go beat them all up--I hope the press lays off this poor family from now on.

I agree with the others who mentioned their feelings on this family from the statements made today. I thought they were extremely respectful of the Chavez family and Sandra, mentioning prayer for her and her family. Most importantly, I respected how it was repeated that it was not the time or place to talk about Huckaby right now. I hesitate to even type this, but while I *completely* understand the frustration of the Chavez family in seeing their little ones accused murderer's family speak of their shock, it was unfortunate that the uncle was asked about their comments and said he wanted to go beat them all up--I hope the press lays off this poor family from now on.

I wish that the media had never asked or published how the Chavez' and Cantus' are feeling to be so close to Melissa's relatives. We can only imagine how they feel, and for the media to sensationalize it like that is really in poor taste. I guess it comes with the territory. I wish a network would pay for Sandra's family to stay at a fancy hotel or to go to New York or whatever they want like some of these other family's get. URRGGG!

I thought that the statements were very well done. I agree with SeekingJana that there does seem to be some denial going on. I know it was the Easter Sunday Service, but considering the extreme nature of what has happened there... I don't think I would have been able to go if I were a member of the congregation. I'm not sure if I would ever be able to go back if it is determined that the crime occurred there.

I wish that the media had never asked or published how the Chavez' and Cantus' are feeling to be so close to Melissa's relatives. We can only imagine how they feel, and for the media to sensationalize it like that is really in poor taste. I guess it comes with the territory. I wish a network would pay for Sandra's family to stay at a fancy hotel or to go to New York or whatever they want like some of these other family's get. URRGGG!

I thought that the statements were very well done. I agree with SeekingJana that there does seem to be some denial going on. I know it was the Easter Sunday Service, but considering the extreme nature of what has happened there... I don't think I would have been able to go if I were a member of the congregation. I'm not sure if I would ever be able to go back if it is determined that the crime occurred there.

It was stated around noon Sunday by LE that the murder occurred in the church.
I would hope that the Lawless family was informed before the public announcement was made, since it involves property they probably own or are legally liable for.
I couldn't go back in the church, but I sense vibes at places where violent deaths have occurred, even when I didn't know about it before hand.

Maria

I could not agree more with everything you just said. I cannot imagine going into a place where the murder took place to attend a service. It was hard enough for me to drive by the freeway exit where this all happened.

I think it was very inappropriate to have Easter service at the church where the little girl was murdered. With so few members they could have had it somewhere else or just cancelled. I don't really see why the media wants some sort of statement from an alledged murderers family in the first place. What can they really say to make any difference at all since they didn't do the crime.

I think if the Lawless family knew for certain the murder occurred at the church, they may have made other arrangements for the service. They don't appear to be the type who would want to perpetuate any ill will towards Sandra's memory or family.

Since Pastor Lawless and his congregation (as small as it is) have been found not to be associated with Sandra's murder in any way then they are faced with the horrible torture of knowing what took place there when they go to worship. Maybe it would be best for them to find another place, but can they afford to move? Hopefully another church will step in to help them and they can at least move temporarily. I feel it would be in the best interest of everyone involved.

I think it was very inappropriate to have Easter service at the church where the little girl was murdered. With so few members they could have had it somewhere else or just cancelled. I don't really see why the media wants some sort of statement from an alledged murderers family in the first place. What can they really say to make any difference at all since they didn't do the crime.
In the video where the man (named as Brett later) spoke so eloquently, I thought I heard him thank the media for coming which would mean they called the press conference. I don't think it was inappropriate for their family to offer prayers and condolences to Sandra's family. They are in a difficult position. You can tell they are shocked, horrified, and want to express those feelings.

They were not defending Melissa. They were not there to be the center of attention. They simply wanted to say they were truly sorry for what happened to Sandra and want what everyone else wants in this case which are answers.

One might have thought that another member of the clan could have suggested to grandpa that the granddaughter evidently on a lengthy stretch of "rough patch" in her life, might not be the best person to permit to teach Sunday school at Clover Road Baptist Church.

Perhaps they did.

But whatever is the case, she was able to secure a position of respect in, and a means of entry into, the church in which it has been reported that investigators feel she later killed Sandra Cantu.

In the video where the man (named as Brett later) spoke so eloquently, I thought I heard him thank the media for coming which would mean they called the press conference. I don't think it was inappropriate for their family to offer prayers and condolences to Sandra's family. They are in a difficult position. You can tell they are shocked, horrified, and want to express those feelings.

They were not defending Melissa. They were not there to be the center of attention. They simply wanted to say they were truly sorry for what happened to Sandra and want what everyone else wants in this case which are answers.

I felt they were telling some truth. A sermon doesn't make it better, but he did, , most of them seemed very distraught about this happening. I feel for both families, and surely hope laws are being changed as we type. Just a wish...HE. nite.

I think it was very inappropriate to have Easter service at the church where the little girl was murdered. With so few members they could have had it somewhere else or just cancelled.

I agree with you. That is appalling. It's a lack of respect for the victim. WTH did they do that for? They could have relocated, or even had the service on the lawn outside.

What were they thinking? :waitasec:

And what they did avoided the media circus that could have followed had they just gone into the church without talking them. Had that been the case, I'm sure that the media would be waiting for them after the service and it could have turned into something ugly.

It did take a certain kind of courage for them to face a community that is outraged at the actions of one of their family members. It could also be an arrogant disregard for the feelings of the community and Sandra's family disguised as a way to apologize. Perhaps since Melissa has refused visitors they were trying to get a message to her.

I find it interesting that her father didn't show the kind of emotions I would expect from someone in his position. The whole family didn't seem to be shaken by that or really anything, including what happened to Sandra. If you look at it from that perspective I guess you could say the family was being defiant. It could also be that they are not overly shocked because deep down they are not overly surprised that Melissa could be capable of something like this... kinda like G, C and L Anthony.

There are just so many ways to interpret the family's statement to the public. Its not as the mystery surrounding Melissa, but maybe they just need time.

I take what Melissa's family says with a grain of salt. This is a PR exercise IMO.

Of course, they are well-spoken, they're preachers. Surely they are in shock, but they are also in denial and when the dust clears they wil be in court supporting Melissa and trying to get her the best deal -- lightest sentence possible....too bad for the Cantu's they don't get that. They have lost their daughter and no matter what happens now, they are the losers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back