Fingerprints On The Note

Barbara

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
For me, one of the smoking guns along with the pineapple

How is it possible that Patsy and John's fingerprints were nowhere to be found on the Ransom note?

We have heard nonsense that because their hands were "clean", they don't leave prints on paper.

Is that scientifically possible?

During a time like that, common sense dictates that nerves kick in and wouldn't hands, palms, etc. perspire? Wouldn't that leave a print? Even a partial print?

These details, like the pineapple, get swept under the proverbial rug and the explanations range from the logical to the inane.

Let's see if we can separate the two.

I say the absence of any of the Ramsey fingerprints on the note is evidence of a cover up.

Unless someone shows me scientific evidence that it is possible for two really upset people to handle paper and NOT leave any prints, I say it's clear that the Ramseys have quite a bit to hide.

of fingerprints and paper. You'll find paper can be one of the poorer substances on which to leave fingerprints. You'll also find the way the note was handled is relevant when it comes to the chain of custody.

Barbara said:
For me, one of the smoking guns along with the pineapple

How is it possible that Patsy and John's fingerprints were nowhere to be found on the Ransom note?

I say the absence of any of the Ramsey fingerprints on the note is evidence of a cover up.

Unless someone shows me scientific evidence that it is possible for two really upset people to handle paper and NOT leave any prints, I say it's clear that the Ramseys have quite a bit to hide.

On the contrary---it shows they read portions--and reacted. Didn't spend a lot of time analyzing and handling it---and both had washed their hands that morning---besides which Colorado is a dry climate--you don't perspire much. How come Fleet White's fingerprints aren't on it? Didn't he read the original note? I'd say the same reason.

Last comment editted because it was a personal comment towards another poster.

I have searched and nowhere could I find that fingerprints can not be lifted from paper, nor did I find ANYWHERE that "clean hands" prevent fingerprints from being left. Utter nonsense. Paper picks up fingerprints just fine according to the searches I perfomed

However, to be fair, I have written a few places asking those very questions. Please show me your research that states otherwise.

I will post any responses I get, favorable or not to my theory.

Great questions, Barbara.

The note was obviously capable of picking up prints. From Thomas's book:

One thing we managed to keep from them for a while was that the lab analysts had a partial print from the ransom note. However, it didn't belong to the killer but to Chet Ubowski of the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, who handled the note during his examination. The only print identified on that note belonged to the document examiner. There was no indication that an intruder had ever touched the ransom note. And it seemed odd to us that no prints were on the note from either of the parents, who presumably would have handled it and even gripped it tightly. ITRMI, p. 223 pb.

This note spent a lot of time on the floor -- first on the stairs and then on the hallway floor -- so naturally the Ramseys went to the floor to do their reading. Doesn't everyone? So, see, they didn't handle the note... maybe didn't want to get their hands dirty ? literally speaking, of course :)

And a question occurs: how did the note get itself from the stairs to the hall floor?

Maybe the same way the pineapple got into JB's digestive system without her eating it?

Barbara said:
I have searched and nowhere could I find that fingerprints can not be lifted from paper, nor did I find ANYWHERE that "clean hands" prevent fingerprints from being left. Utter nonsense. Paper picks up fingerprints just fine according to the searches I perfomed

However, to be fair, I have written a few places asking those very questions. Please show me your research that states otherwise.

I will post any responses I get, favorable or not to my theory.
I have heard that paper is not a good surface for fingerprints although not an impossible one. Hard, smooth surfaces seem to be the best.

http://www.science.siu.edu/ijshs/Fingerprints.pdf

…

Items such as glass, aluminum, polished metals, polished woods, plastic bags, porcelain, china, smooth painted surfaces and hard plastic are ideal surfaces for fingerprints. Rough or porous surfaces, such as raw wood, grained leather, and cloth tend not to yield as adequate fingerprints
…
Another possible variable is the condition of the skin at the time the object is touched.

Dry, clean skin may not leave as good a print as skin with more oil on it or any other sticky substance.

…

The combination of recently cleaned hands and a paper suirface may account for the lack of prints. I was interested that children's prints apparently disappear more quickly than adults.

Not really related but an interesting article:
http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?020527fa_FACT

fingerprints on the note at all? duh.....this is the guy examining the note for fingerprints....and he handles it without gloves on?

Britt said:
From Thomas's book:

One thing we managed to keep from them for a while was that the lab analysts had a partial print from the ransom note. However, it didn't belong to the killer but to Chet Ubowski of the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, who handled the note during his examination. The only print identified on that note belonged to the document examiner. There was no indication that an intruder had ever touched the ransom note. And it seemed odd to us that no prints were on the note from either of the parents, who presumably would have handled it and even gripped it tightly. ITRMI, p. 223 pb.

Maikai said:
fingerprints on the note at all? duh.....this is the guy examining the note for fingerprints....and he handles it without gloves on?

Maybe his hands were clean too.

This is one response I have received from a fingerprint expert. Since I haven't yet asked him if it was okay to print his name, I will just print his letter. If someone does not believe this is from an expert (I have left his initials/credentials), I will
make an extra effort to get his permission.

Barbara,

At first glance it would seem unlikely that no prints
would be contained on the "kidnapping" note. However,
if you consider all of the dynamics involved in the
deposition and development of latent prints, it is not
so hard to understand.

Depending upon the type of paper that is handled,
latent prints are most often readily deposited and
will remain quite stable for extended periods of time.
If I accurately recall, the note in the Ramsey case
was written on a sheet from a legal pad. (Is that
right? I haven't really followed the case very
intently). That type of paper usually results in the
deposition of latent prints and retention of them.
However, I have examined many, many paper items in
over 23 years and the simple fact is that just because
an item is handled, it doesn't mean prints are going
to be deposited or recovered.

Development processes that are used on paper basically
consist of spectral and chemical techniques. Spectral
development techniques involve the use of a forensic
light source, such as a laser, to detect inherent
fluorescence. There are some biological components of
natural fingerprint residue that will fluoresce under
excitation within the proper wave-length. Chemical
treatment of the surface suspected of containing
latent prints may also enhance the ability to
visualize prints by means of a light source. These
techniques are not always successful, however, because
they are dependent upon either residue components that
are inherent or that react to the chemical reagent.

Ninhydrin solution is a development technique that is
the "workhorse" of latent print development on porous
paper items. It forms a colored chemical reaction with
the amino acids contained in natural residue. The
ridge detail of the print becomes visible in a dark
purple color - called "Rhueman's Purple". There are
other chemical methods, such as DFO, Physical
Developer, and Iodine fuming (which is not as widely
used in the modern age) that may be applied to paper
specimens. These all react to different components of
natural latent print residue.

The problem with being able to develop and visualize
latent prints on any surface, including paper, is that
there are so many variable and dynamic factors
involving the deposition, stability, and development
of the prints. While your postulation that it seems
likely that someone involved in a horrendous crime
would be perspiring heavily, that is not always the
case. Again, the many variables involved make it truly
a chance prospect. The unique physiological processes
of the individual account for some of this problem. As
we get older, we tend to perspire less. Our eccrine
glands (sweat glands) and sebaceous glands (oil
glands) tend to secrete less. This is just a general
guideline, there are, of course, exceptions to the
rules.

I would tell you from experience that I have seen
items that I know positively were handled by someone
that bear no fingerprints. Of course, I have seen
items that were known to have been handled contain a
wealth of fingerprints. The prospect is truly by
"chance," and that's why latent prints are sometimes
also referred to as "chance impressions."

Another thing about latent prints on paper, is that
quite often we may be able to determine that the item
has been handled, sometimes extensively. We are able
to clearly see some ridge detail develop. Many times,
however, the prints do not develop to a degree
sufficient to allow for individualization or
exclusion. This primarily results from a lack of
perspiration on the subject's hands and fingers. The
ridge detail may be fragmented to the point that it
cannot be compared. The natural print residue may be
so diluted that sufficient perspiration (amino acids)
was not deposited to form a strong enough color
reaction and the print subsequently is too faint to
clearly see the detail. So, it may be that prints were
developed, but they were insufficient in their clarity
to allow conclusive determination of who they belonged
to.

Having said all of that, I don't know the particulars
of the examination that was or was not conducted on
the evidence in this case. Without having reviewed the
examiner's bench notes and actually having examined
the evidence myself, I cannot say what conclusions
should have been reached. It would not surprise me,
however, that no prints were developed or prints
having insufficient quality to allow individualization
were found on the paper. I see this phenomenon over
and over again in every day case work.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Perhaps it
only raises more.

Sincerely,

***** CLPE SCSA

This is the other response to my question received so far: Again, I have left out the name as I did not ask permission to print the name.

Hi,

I don't know anything about the JonBenet Ramsey case, but I have been a latent print examiner for 6 years so I thought I'd tell you what I thought when I read your post.

I also disagree about the statement of paper not holding prints well. I have 2 guesses of what may have happened.

First, there are many different ways to process paper to retrieve latent fingerprints. I would be interested to know which methods they tried. In my office, we normally use 2 or 3 different methods but this isn't common in our industry. I would hope that for a murder case at least 3 methods would be used, but every department doesn't have access to every method. Generally a department only uses what is at their immediate disposal. But just because latent prints weren't found doesn't mean that latent prints weren't left. They may be there, but still hidden to the naked eye.

Second, if anyone touching the paper was sweating a lot or touching the paper with a lot of pressure or even touching it multiple times in the same place, most processing methods would show a reaction to the chemicals or would show multiple fingerprints overlapping each other but no clear latent prints that are able to be identified were found. It is fairly common for Latent Print Examiner to state "no identifiable latents were found", but this doesn't mean that no ridge detail was found. It just means that they didn't find any that could be individualized to a particular person. I know this is misleading, but it's just easier to say it this way, and it's been accepted in our industry for decades.

I hope you understood my lame attempt to quickly explain this. If I've confused you, feel free to email me back and I'll try to explain it better.

Sincerely,

New fingerprint technology is still being developed that may someday crack this case. Here's a semi-recent article about one new advancement in Britain:
http://www.platinum-celebs.com/technology/news/005907.html

So forget the DNA, if a Patsy or Burke fingerprint is someday found inside the knot on the garrote cord, the Ramsey ship will sink faster than Lin Wood can say "Titanic".

Is the report regarding the fingerprint testing on the ransom note available online? Does anyone have the official report? Is it public?

If someone has it, can you please provide the link?

Thank you

So have you reconsidered your opinion that the absence of prints on the note is evidence of a coverup?

tipper said:
So have you reconsidered your opinion that the absence of prints on the note is evidence of a coverup?

Yes I have. That's why I ask for the experts' opinions.

I am adult enough to admit when I am mistaken. The absence of fingerprints by the parents is still something that bothers me, as other prints were on there, and the absence of any fingerprints on the flashlight also continues to bother me, but I no longer consider it concrete proof of a coverup.

I still find it suspicious, but not a smoking gun, nor "proof".

As promised, I posted the letters even though it didn't back me up on my own theory, but I am not an expert. They are and they were nice enough to take the time to respond.

If only the RST would do the same.

So we can conclude that we can draw no conclusions one way or the other from the absence of prints on the note. It is neither evidence of a cover-up nor evidence of Ramsey innocence.

But it is another piece of non-evidence of an intruder, that mythical character who also left no prints (sorry, that would be a conclusion, wouldn't it? :D) It's amazing how much evidence this guy didn't leave.

Barbara -- thanks so much for checking this out and for posting the above expert explanations. Great work :) Yes, would that ALL case studiers were as honest in their pursuit of answers.

Britt said:
So we can conclude that we can draw no conclusions one way or the other from the absence of prints on the note. It is neither evidence of a cover-up nor evidence of Ramsey innocence.

But it is another piece of non-evidence of an intruder, that mythical character who also left no prints (sorry, that would be a conclusion, wouldn't it? :D) It's amazing how much evidence this guy didn't leave.

Barbara -- thanks so much for checking this out and for posting the above expert explanations. Great work :) Yes, would that ALL case studiers were as honest in their pursuit of answers.

Thanks Britt,

As I have said over the years, in this case the absence of evidence made me then and continues to make me believe in Ramsey involvement

There is true absence of intruder evidence and there is absence of Ramsey evidence where there SHOULD be Ramsey evidence.

The flashlight is yet another example. The flashlight in their own house had NO fingerprints on it, inside and out and that is a red flag for sure. They should have had many Ramsey prints on the flashlight and the batteries.

Actually I thought they were very nice responses. My one question was the use of the word "hold." Yesterday I read that prints will stay on paper much longer than other surfaces so I wondered if that was what he meant by paper holding prints well or if he was just talking paper as a surface for collecting prints.

I don't recall any official reports being made public. I have a vague recollection about one test which would cause the note to be changed in some way so its usefulness for other examinations was destroyed. Perhaps that is the test where they soak the paper?

Also I agree with Maikai about being surprised CBI would handle the note without gloves. It may be SOP and my image of how evidence gets handled is just wrong. I'd always assumed people wore gloves when handling evidence. Obviously they don't.

Since it doesn't seem odd to your experts that paper can be handled and not acquire prints I wonder why it seemed odd to ST. Also I'm wondering if ST's " The only print identified on that note belonged to the document examiner. " simply means there was only one sufficiently complete to be identified and not that there weren't other "ridge details" that just couldn't be linked to specific individuals.

tipper said:
Also I agree with Maikai about being surprised CBI would handle the note without gloves. It may be SOP and my image of how evidence gets handled is just wrong. I'd always assumed people wore gloves when handling evidence. Obviously they don't.

[/color]

Hi Tipper,

What timing for the above. I wrote back to thank the examiners for their time and just received this back in e mail. Bold is mine.

Wow, that is surprising that Chet Ubowski didn't wear gloves!

I would bet that both of my suggestions are true. The paper was probably
only processed with 1 method and no fingerprints were found that were clear
enough to identify to anyone.

It's sad to see a case blown due to poor detective work, but it happens
every day. The public only hears about it in big name cases, such as this
one and the OJ Simpson case.

Take Care,

This response was from the second letter response I posted.

tipper said:
Also I agree with Maikai about being surprised CBI would handle the note without gloves.
Me, too. Seems to me they wouldn't want to risk messing up existing prints nor making extra work for themselves having to eliminate their own prints during the process.

I wondered the same thing you did when I read the above info -- whether there were any "ridge details" that couldn't be linked to specific individuals. Does no other prints literally mean NO other prints?

Great timing! Well at least I'm not completely crazy to think gloves should be worn.

If one were writing fiction about a botched murder investigation and included everything that has happened in this case I think the editors would send it back as not believable.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back