Terrorist Incidents or Possible Inspiration in the News Dec. '06

MomofBoys

Future Bucs QB
Reaction score
Maybe this is a dumb idea for a thread, but here goes:

I've never believed that a 'small foreign faction' killed JonBenet. It seems implausible to the extreme.

However, I did wonder where, if PR was the author of the note, she got the inspiration. Was is it a film? Was it plucked from the news?

FARC (Colombia) kidnapped and killed a U.S. geologist Dec. 11, 1996. I'm having a terrible time getting more than a snippet about the case, but while doing research on FARC it seems that beheading is its execution method du jour. I know that's not uncommon in these militant/radical groups, but the timing is interesting. It was a small group of extremists (a group of five) that carried out the kidnapping and execution of the man.

It was in the news in the US at the time, but beyond that I don't know how much detail was given.

Were there other stories (terrorism-related or not) that might have given the Ramseys (or any perpetrator, for the IDIs) the idea re: the 'small foreign faction'?

I apologize if you guys have discussed this to death, but I didn't see a similar thread.

As source material:
Tupac Amaru Seizure of Diplomats, December 17, 1996:
Twenty-three members of the Tupac Amaru Revolutionary Movement (MRTA) took several hundred people hostage at a party given at the Japanese Ambassador's residence in Lima, Peru. Among the hostages were several US officials, foreign ambassadors and other diplomats, Peruvian Government officials, and Japanese businessmen. The group demanded the release of all MRTA members in prison and safe passage for them and the hostage takers. The terrorists released most of the hostages in December but held 81 Peruvians and Japanese citizens for several months.

Abduction of US. Citizen by FARC, December 11, 1996:
Five armed men claiming to be members of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) kidnapped and later killed a U.S. geologist at a methane gas exploration site in La Guajira Department.

Paris Subway Explosion, December 3, 1996:
A bomb exploded aboard a Paris subway train as it arrived at the Port Royal station, killing two French nationals, a Moroccan, and a Canadian, and injuring 86 persons. Among those injured were one U.S. citizen and a Canadian. No one claimed responsibility for the attack, but Algerian extremists are suspected.

Red Cross Worker Kidnappings, November 1, 1996:
In Sudan a breakaway group from the Sudanese People's Liberation Army (SPLA) kidnapped three International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) workers, including a U.S. citizen, an Australian, and a Kenyan. On 9 December the rebels released the hostages in exchange for ICRC supplies and a health survey for their camp.

From http://www.army.mil/terrorism/read.html

You know that is possible,I often wonder the same things since it does look like the R's did take alot from movies in the RN

Hi Mom of Boys.

No this is a great idea for a thread!

I've been trying to keep track of recent stories about beheading (perp is most often psychotic, psychotic fantasy) ....

but this is a great idea, to see how news stories about terrorist abductions in 96 could have been drawn upon for inspiration.

I remember the attacks in Paris, they were linked to an algerian terrorist group, they got a name, hunted him and killed him, no questions asked. I don't believe they got the right man, just needed a scapegoat.

Maybe this is a dumb idea for a thread, but here goes:

I've never believed that a 'small foreign faction' killed JonBenet. It seems implausible to the extreme.

However, I did wonder where, if PR was the author of the note, she got the inspiration. Was is it a film? Was it plucked from the news?

FARC (Colombia) kidnapped and killed a U.S. geologist Dec. 11, 1996. I'm having a terrible time getting more than a snippet about the case, but while doing research on FARC it seems that beheading is its execution method du jour. I know that's not uncommon in these militant/radical groups, but the timing is interesting. It was a small group of extremists (a group of five) that carried out the kidnapping and execution of the man.

It was in the news in the US at the time, but beyond that I don't know how much detail was given.

Were there other stories (terrorism-related or not) that might have given the Ramseys (or any perpetrator, for the IDIs) the idea re: the 'small foreign faction'?

I apologize if you guys have discussed this to death, but I didn't see a similar thread.

As source material:

From http://www.army.mil/terrorism/read.html

Excellent, MomofBoys! Excellent! There's another one: in August of 1996, the American news media first began broadcasting the name Osama bin Laden to us regular people. 1996 was, in that respect, a milestone.

This is an interesting idea to explore.

I don't think the Ramseys were interested in that element of society....but it wouldn't be surprising for someone into extortion movies and the excitement to follow international kidnappings and causes.

Two big events were in the news at the time. The OJ trial had just wound down....with all the hoopla and sensationilism that went with that. It was the first big trial to get such extraordinary media coverage at the time.

The Oklahoma bombing trial was going on in Denver. I don't recall exactly where they were at with it, but a lot of publicity with McNichols, an anti-establishment terrorist.

Kidnappings for ransom were very popular in places like Mexico. Mostly business executives whose families would pay off the kidnappers. Many times the police were in on it. Money paid, and everyone happy.

How does anyone know if the perp wasn't foreign? There was a dollar sign that looked like it was originally written like a pound sign...and certain phrasing that makes me wonder if English is a second language--not a first.

A year later were the Columbine shooters........one from a successful educated family--the other from a decent military family. A profile similar to those two wouldn't surprise me either......and someone with an interest in terrorist groups.

It was Timothy McVeigh and Nichols.....Trial was suppose to start October l996 in Denver......

Denver preparing for Oklahoma City bombing trial; McVeigh, Nichols to appear at pretrial hearing.(Originated from Knight-Ridder Newspapers)
Article from:Knight Ridder/Tribune News Service Article date:April 8, 1996

DENVER _ It is at least six months before the trial in the deaths of 168 people in the Oklahoma City bombing, but already the parking garages and lots surrounding the courthouse complex are patrolled by local, state and federal officers.

Drivers risk having their vehicles towed if they leave them for even a few moments in front of the low, modern Byron G. Rogers Federal Courthouse, where the trial will be held. Here and all over Denver, metal detectors have been installed in federal offices.

The city's preparations _ a strange mix of stern antiterrorism measures and tender support for the victims' relatives _ will be tested Tuesday, when Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols are ........

This is an interesting idea to explore.

I agree. I've been trying to explore it for a long time now.

I don't think the Ramseys were interested in that element of society....but it wouldn't be surprising for someone into extortion movies and the excitement to follow international kidnappings and causes.

I think a person who wasn't interested would be MORE likely to write "small foreign faction," if for no other reason than they couldn't spell Osama bin Laden or Hizbollah. (Heck, the GOV'T can't decide how to spell them half the time! Is it Osama or Usama? Is it Hezbollah, Hizbollah, Hizbullah, or Hizb'ullah? Because I've seen them spelled all of those ways.) Let's not forget: Where was JR stationed during his Navy days? The Phillipines during the anti-Marcos rebellion, when every kind of violent terrorist and revolutionary was coming out of the woodwork. Some were communists, like the New People's Army. Others were Islamist, like Abu Sayyef, which is still operating today.

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable place to start, as far as I go.

last but not least,don't forget the 'intruder' who came in and killed Darlie's kids in Tx,just 6 mo. earlier.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back