MI MI - Elizabeth Land, 27, Flint, 26 Feb 2009

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.countypress.com/stories/041509/loc_20090415051.shtml

15 April 09

Former Lapeer County resident Elizabeth Land, 27, vanished without a trace almost two months ago.

<snip>

Land has red hair, is 5 feet 3 inches tall and weighs about 140 pounds. She was last seen about 10 p.m. Feb. 26 wearing a pink short sleeve shirt, blue jeans and a light blue jacket.

"A friend she knew for about four months picked her up at the house," McGaughy said. "They were supposed to go to a bar and come home early. She never came back. He said she called someone and got another ride home."
Flint City Police have questioned the man and pinged Land's cell phone, said McGaughy. Land's picture and her story was featured on an ABC Channel 12 newscast.

<snip>

Land grew up in the Almont area as Elizabeth Wills. She attended Almont High School, and still has many friends in Lapeer County, said McGaughy. She married Dean Land; the couple and their four children made their home in the city of Lapeer.

Problems began for Land, who is very trusting, when she fell into the wrong company.

"She became addicted to heroin," McGaughy said. "The people that sell drugs act like they're your friends, and she fell for it. It broke up her marriage and her four children were taken away from her."
Land struggled with her addiction and eventually checked herself into a clinic to kick the habit. She moved in with her mother, was looking for a job and hadn't used heroin for almost six months when she went missing.

more at link

no pic at link

What I find most disturbing about this is the total lack of media attention --- Although, growing up in this area and knowing how little attention murders and missing person's cases receive, Im not shocked!

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/local&id=6772885

Search continues for missing woman
Mother holds out hope daughter is still alive
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 | 11:17 PM
By Matt Franklin

GENESEE COUNTY (WJRT) -- (04/21/09)--A Flint mother is holding out hope as the search continues for her missing daughter.

It's going on eight weeks since 27-year-old Elizabeth Land went missing.

She was last seen in February near Chevrolet and Flushing roads in Flint.

Flint police are working with very few leads in this case, and because of the suspicious circumstances, the missing persons case is now being investigated by a homicide detective.

"It's the hardest thing I've ever been through. She's my only child," said mother Jeanne McGaughy.

McGaughy and other family members spent this past weekend searching the area around Flint Park Lake, known as Devil's Lake.

They were looking for any sign that McGaughy's missing daughter may have been there.

"They dumped her in Devil's Lake," she said. "That was the tip that we got."

It's been almost two months since she's seen or heard from Land, who has red hair and stands about 5 feet, 3 inches tall.

She says she was wearing a pink short-sleeved shirt, blue jeans and a light blue jacket when she was on her way to have a drink with a friend.

"She just walked out the door and got in the car and disappeared," McGaughy said.

She admits her daughter has had problems with drugs in the past, but says she'd been on the right path so she can be reunited with her four kids.

In the meantime, McGaughy is praying that she'll be reunited with her daughter soon, but her intuition is also preparing her for the worst.

"I'm going to have to say, and I had a dream, and I don't think (she's still alive)," she said. "I honestly don't think so. If she was, she would be trying to contact us."

If you have any information on Land's disappearance, you are asked to call Flint police at (810) 237-6801.

<snip>
This is the first time I ever copied an article, so I hoped this is right.

As a local, I will chime in that the area she was last seen is not a good area. She would have definitely stood out in the area, it's predominantly African-American. WHen the atricle says that there are at least 20 houses that are abandoned on the street she was last seen on, they aren't kidding. It is also a high drug area.

Also, for those wondering, the rumor about Devil's Lake is that it is bottomless, or 300 feet deep, or 1000 feet deep, depending on who you ask and the current is so strong that it sucks anything in the water down so far that it never surfaces.

Two years after Elizabeth Land went missing, her mother holds out hope someone will offer information

Two years after her daughter went missing, Jeanne McGaughy still holds out hope that someone will come forward with information about Elizabeth Land's whereabouts.

"It's going to be two years tomorrow since she came up missing," said McGaughy. "That's a long time."

More: http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2011/02/two_years_after_elizabeth_land.html

Bumping for the family

Ugh. Nothing good happens in Flint :(

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

I don't remember hearing about this woman when she disappeared, or maybe I've forgotten. I used to walk through the corner of Chevrolet and Flushing Rd. all the time when I was young. There was a bar on that corner. I went to school right down the street on Chevrolet and I lived in Flushing Rd. Times have changed and the area isn't what it used to be. It's not very safe now. It's sad that this woman hasn't been found. I sure hope she wasn't dumped in Devil's Lake.

new newstory....

It's been almost six years since a mid-Michigan teen last saw her mom. As the anniversary of Elizabeth Land's disappearance approaches, her family remains hopeful that they'll one day have closure.

Elizabeth Land left her house on February 26, 2009. She was headed for a bar on Chevrolet Avenue in Flint. Police suspect foul play, but to this day have not been able to locate her. That has left Land's family with many unanswered questions.

http://www.abc12.com/story/27714895...ng-answers-nearly-6-years-after-disappearance

6311415_G.jpg

I hope she wasnt in that area for drugs or anything like that, she seems like she was trying to get her life back together. Who was she going to meet?

What a pretty young woman. I think her disappearance has to do with drugs, maybe she owed money to someone and was harmed. So sad for her 4 children...

Article from 2017:
It&#8217;s a similar story for seven other women from the Flint area, all who have gone missing in recent years without a trace.

Elizabeth Land was last seen in February of 2009 in Flint after leaving to meet up with a friend at a local bar.

Sylvia Galvan was last seen in October of 2011 in Mt. Morris.

Jina Collins was last seen New Year&#8217;s Eve in 2013 at the corner of Fenton and Pettibone Road in Flint.

Laquandra Slater was last seen in December of 2016 in Flint Township. Her car was found abandoned in Flint near Atherton and Van Slyke Road.
Presley Rau, also known as Amy Jo, was last seen August of 2017 in Flint.
Claudia Wilson was also last seen August of 2017 in Flint. Her possessions were left behind.
Brianna Vibert was last seen July of 2017 in Flint.
http://www.wnem.com/story/36843121/i-team-report-missing-in-mid-michigan

May 16, 2014

• elizabeth_dawn_land_2.jpg
  • elizabeth_dawn_land_3.jpg
  • elizabeth_dawn_land_4.jpg
  • elizabeth_dawn_land_5.jpg
  • elizabeth_dawn_land_8.jpg
Land, circa 2009; Land's tattoo
  • Missing Since 02/26/2009
  • Missing From Flint, Michigan
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Age 27 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'3, 140 pounds

• Clothing/Jewelry Description A pink short-sleeved t-shirt, blue jeans and a light blue jacket.

• Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Red hair, brown eyes. Land has a freckled complexion, her ears are pierced and she wears eyeglasses. She has a tattoo on her shoulder of a purple rose with black swirls; a photo of the tattoo is posted with this case summary. She may use the last name Willis.

Details of Disappearance​

Land was last seen in Flint, Michigan on February 26, 2009. She left her home on Mackin Road near north Chevrolet Avenue and to meet a friend at a bar at Chevrolet Road and Flushing Road.

During the early morning hours the next day, she sent a text message to her boyfriend in Florida, saying she was looking forward to seeing him again. When Land's boyfriend tried to call her, the call went straight to voicemail. She has never been heard from again.

Land has a history of drug abuse, but her mother stated she was clean at the time of her disappearance and had never disappeared before even while she was using drugs. She had been living with her parents for about five months before she went missing and was trying to find a job in the area. Her four children lived with her ex-husband.

Her daughter stated the man she was last seen with was "obsessed" with her. The man has not been named as a suspect in Land's disappearance, however. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency​

• Flint Police Department 810-237-6945

Source Information​

Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated September 20, 2018; details of disappearance updated.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back