Marcia Clark: Huckaby's Crazy Defense

I sure hope what she says in this article pans out! So MH can get what she deserves!

Marcia Clark made a lot of good points. This is different from Andrea Yates because Andrea had a long history of mental problems, while Huckaby doesn't. She went once and that was for shoplifting, which I bet she was going to use as a ploy to get a lighter sentence for her shoplifting crimes. Basically so she can say she took responsibility for her actions and she went to a psych ward, and she is cured and now a productive citizen and a Sunday school teacher blah blah blah.

I think Huckaby is a classic pedophile and the only thing that sets her apart from male pedophiles, is her gender.

She was a Sunday school teacher, why? So she could have access to children.

It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this freak out IMO.

Marcia Clark made a lot of good points. This is different from Andrea Yates because Andrea had a long history of mental problems, while Huckaby doesn't. She went once and that was for shoplifting, which I bet she was going to use as a ploy to get a lighter sentence for her shoplifting crimes. Basically so she can say she took responsibility for her actions and she went to a psych ward, and she is cured and now a productive citizen and a Sunday school teacher blah blah blah.

I think Huckaby is a classic pedophile and the only thing that sets her apart from male pedophiles, is her gender.

She was a Sunday school teacher, why? So she could have access to children.

It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this freak out IMO.

You know, this whole thing about her being a "Sunday school teacher", which we're constantly hearing her identified as, raises several questions right off the bat: If that church really had a tiny congregation of at most 15 people, just what kind of an active enrollment did they have in Sunday school? How many children were enrolled there and how often did she teach a class there?

You've got 15 people total who belong to the church, and you're going to get a good-sized class of youngsters out of that? How is that possible? Or were there children who didn't necessarily belong to the church who took classes?

So...how many kids in the class, how often did they attend, and how often did MH actually teach a class there? Have we actually heard from any of the parents of these children? I don't recall any mention in the news about this.

I think it's a bit odd that we haven't read much at all about that church, or heard from any parishioners. There are conflicting reports, so I won't make any hard conclusions yet, but at least one of the reports had it that the church hasn't held any services since 2007. I am trying to track down the source of that report, which I personally read. I just can't recall where it came from...

I'm kind of bothered about the whole recent history of the church, among other oddities in this case.

It is reassuring to me to read this article, I really respect Marcia Clark, so I rest easier (if that is possible with this case) knowing that MH is not going to get away with this.

Thanks for posting! :clap:

You know, this whole thing about her being a "Sunday school teacher", which we're constantly hearing her identified as, raises several questions right off the bat: If that church really had a tiny congregation of at most 15 people, just what kind of an active enrollment did they have in Sunday school? How many children were enrolled there and how often did she teach a class there?

You've got 15 people total who belong to the church, and you're going to get a good-sized class of youngsters out of that? How is that possible? Or were there children who didn't necessarily belong to the church who took classes?

So...how many kids in the class, how often did they attend, and how often did MH actually teach a class there? Have we actually heard from any of the parents of these children? I don't recall any mention in the news about this.

I think it's a bit odd that we haven't read much at all about that church, or heard from any parishioners. There are conflicting reports, so I won't make any hard conclusions yet, but at least one of the reports had it that the church hasn't held any services since 2007. I am trying to track down the source of that report, which I personally read. I just can't recall where it came from...

I'm kind of bothered about the whole recent history of the church, among other oddities in this case.

I did read somewhere that a neighbor who lived close to the church saw very few people attending services.

The sergeant did state that so far there had been "no indication" that MH had sexually abused any other children from that area.

From the Daily Beast:

O.J.'s former prosecutor says the so-called Sunday School murder case is unlike anything California's legal community has ever seen—and the defendant's likely defense won't work.

For more GO HERE: http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-04-16/huckabys-crazy-defense/

Thanks for the post Levi... Ms Clark's insights into what we can expect to see in the near future is very frank and to the point. A very revealing and accurate assessment I feel. Objective and thorough. I especially liked the fact that she alluded to the point that her theories all hinged on, and I quote: "...Assuming the police—who claim Huckaby did it and acted alone—got it right..."

It is reassuring to me to read this article, I really respect Marcia Clark, so I rest easier (if that is possible with this case) knowing that MH is not going to get away with this.

I agree. She adds a lot of credibility to the judicial aspect of the crime where I've mostly just heard from LE and the media talking heads. I especially liked her closing of the article when she stated, "...but should these charges prove true, the jury will hold her to a more masculine accountability." It seems that no matter what kind of case the defense builds up regarding her mental perception, there will be no gender bias when it comes to the final judgement.

Thanks for posting! :clap:

I agree with Marcia too.

No matter what excuse Melissa Huckaby may come up with it will not be enough.

No way will a jury be swayed to sympathize with her. They will all be so overwhelmed with sympathy for the true victim and the way she was raped and murdered.

They are going to make her pay for what she has done and they are going to make her pay a high price, imo.

imo

MOO, I would be willing to bet that the church is small by design. Meaning: there are a few small churches in my community which do not encourage outside visitors, outside of the family that is. Could be that this family already knew about MH's pedophile problem, or at least her mental state. I also feel that she has this problem for a reason, maybe that there are other pedophiles in her family that did the same thing to her growing up, and maybe other children in the family:(. JUST MY OPINION ONLY. They believe in and want to worship God, but not in a church that may notice their differences and judge them. Not sure I am being clear on my thoughts. Hope I am saying this right. I try not to judge others without good reason, but just offering my opinion. Nonni

I just don't buy it. People that are truly insane, IMO, wouldn't conceal their crime. She stuffed that little girl in a suitcase and slung her in a pond. Why? To hide the evidence of what she did to her. I also find it hard to believe she could commit a crime this atrocious while sick yet seems to have a relatively limited history of mental illness. I also find it hard to believe that she was evaluated by a therapist concerning her arrest for shoplifting and they missed that she was this dangerous.

IMO it seems to be an attempt to limit her culpability. I think Marcia's got it right and I think Melissa Huckaby needs to be held to the same standard as any man would be if they were responsible for this crime.

I just don't buy it. People that are truly insane, IMO, wouldn't conceal their crime. She stuffed that little girl in a suitcase and slung her in a pond. Why? To hide the evidence of what she did to her. I also find it hard to believe she could commit a crime this atrocious while sick yet seems to have a relatively limited history of mental illness. I also find it hard to believe that she was evaluated by a therapist concerning her arrest for shoplifting and they missed that she was this dangerous.

IMO it seems to be an attempt to limit her culpability. I think Marcia's got it right and I think Melissa Huckaby needs to be held to the same standard as any man would be if they were responsible for this crime.

Hi Lady, I bellieve you're 100% right. Not only did she stuff her in the suitcase to cover the crime, she planned it by taking the suitcase to the church with her to begin with! Nonni

I very much agree with your entire post, Lady Loves Lurking, and especially with the last paragraph. MH certainly should be held to the same standard as any man and maybe even moreso.

I think MH looks totally mentally disordered. She looks like a nut. The body language, facial expressions, the fact that she basically begged LE to look at her and suspect her. But legally insane? He!! no!
I didn't read Clark's article yet but I learned enough from law school to know it is VERY hard to mount a defense of not guilty by reason of insanity. She would either have to be so out of it that she did not know that what she was doing was wrong OR, so out of it that she did not even know what she was doing. The example we learned for the latter would be someone choking someone actually thinks they are squeezing a lemon. The fact is, being emotionally disturbed or mentally ill does not relieve a person of their responsibility to refrain from committing an atrocity like this. It is not an excuse. It may provide a partial reason for why the person felt a desire to do whaty they did but it does not prevent them from being able to stop themselves.
She knew very well what she was doing and she knew it was wrong. Otherwise, she would not have done it in secret, she would not have tried to cover it up, she would not have lied about it. We know and Mellissa Huckaby knew. Now she needs to pay for that. Period.

I think she looks like a woman who has been in jail a few days and is now settling into the reality of a situation brought on by herself.

also... let us not forget.. she is no stranger to the jail cell! (LA county.. but we don't yet know how long she was in the hooscow)

If Melissa was so mentally deranged then why didn't she attack Target's asset protection, the arresting officer, her probation officer, the judge, etc. She confesses to killing a helpless little girl, covering it up, then trying to come up with several plots to explain her actions that day.

I did read somewhere that a neighbor who lived close to the church saw very few people attending services.

The sergeant did state that so far there had been "no indication" that MH had sexually abused any other children from that area.

I tried to count the cars that I could see on Easter, in front of the church, in the video of the Lawless family giving their statement. It looked like there were about 7 cars in front of the church and 3 or 4 off to the side (app.). I bet most of the cars belonged to the Lawless clan.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back