Springfield Three - Media Links *NO DISCUSSION*

suspicious mind

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pittsburghgirl
Not to interrupt the discussion, but I want to re-post important links. I was getting around to making a new post about that anyway, but now that we have a new thread, it is important to re-capture this stuff, before thread 2 sinks into the posting abyss.

KY3 Story with timeline

http://www.ky3.com/home/related/5993556.html

Other KY3 stories

http://www.ky3.com/home/related/5993786.html

http://www.ky3.com/home/related/1695137.html

http://www.ky3.com/home/related/7876067.html

Springfield PD website

http://www.ci.springfield.mo.us/sPD/GeneralInfo/3missingwomen.html

Original Police Report

http://springfield.news-leader.com/specialreports/threemissingwomen/documents/report.pdf

KSPR Missing in the Ozarks

http://www.kspr.com/internal?st=prin...youlive/greene

News-Leader 5-part Series

http://springfield.news-leader.com/specialreports/threemissingwomen/day1.html

http://springfield.news-leader.com/specialreports/threemissingwomen/day2.html

http://springfield.news-leader.com/specialreports/threemissingwomen/day3.html

http://springfield.news-leader.com/specialreports/threemissingwomen/day4.html

http://springfield.news-leader.com/specialreports/threemissingwomen/day5.html

Robert Cox Letters

http://springfield.news-leader.com/specialreports/threemissingwomen/documents/CoxMay97.pdf

http://springfield.news-leader.com/specialreports/threemissingwomen/documents/CoxMay02.pdf

http://springfield.news-leader.com/specialreports/threemissingwomen/day1_cox.html

Story that includes video of crime scene

http://ozarksfirst.com/content/fulltext/?cid=8217

Since we have a new handy forum, I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to keep all media links. I hope pittsburghgirl doesn't mind me moving her post here.

I am thrilled. I was going to ask about a sticky or somesuch, but this is great. I'd lick to see posts with pics, etc. on this thread. The whole magilla.

Thanks for posting that, suspicious mind..I was going to suggest pittsburghgirl put a separate thread for media links since she posted all those at the beginning of Thread #3. I'm glad someone did it. I want to start looking through the old Kansas City Star articles to see if there are any we don't have on here and hopefully add them to this media links section. The old KC Star articles aren't free so it may be slow going but I still want to search and see if I can find ones that were never posted on here. Thanks again!

I can't get most of the links to work. Does anyone have that picture of the floor plan of the house?

I can't get most of the links to work. Does anyone have that picture of the floor plan of the house?

OK :crazy: I fixed the links. Apparently when I moved the post over, the links were copied verbatim which excluded portions of the links b/c when you post a url it does a "..." to save space....well, long story short, they are fixed!

Hurricane uploaded a version printed by the NL to a file sharing site, here is the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?hkmgm2y0kno

But, it says the file is "private"?

I posted this just after the media links on Thread 3, so that some of the frequently-asked questions and points of discussion would not get lost as Thread 2 fades into the past. Most important, I think, are the Kansas City Star articles posted by tangledweb.

Post re: phone call to Sherrill, by MM, p. #175—Thread 2

The new information generated no new suspects as of Wednesday, Glenn said. But police are now looking into other possible telephone
calls that may have been made to Levitt's home after a 9:30 p.m.
phone conversation Saturday with a friend. News-Leader, June 18, 1992

Story that quotes a different time for the final call, from KY3;

Someone last reported hearing from Levitt about 11:15 p.m. on June 6 when she talked with a friend about painting a chest of drawers. Levitt's car, purse, and keys were left at the home and it appeared as though her bed had been slept in when friends and police arrived to check the home.
http://www.ky3.com/features/rewind/19602564.html

Post re: Bartt, by tangledweb, Thread 2, p. 16 #387

Post re: Gerald Carnahan, from Gaia227, Thread 2, page 22, #545

Post quoting Kansas City Star article, “FBI theorizes Person was trusted by at least one of missing women”, by tangledweb, Thread 2, p. 30, #750

Posts with complete Kansas City Star articles, from 1992, by tangledweb, Thread 2, p. 50, # 1236, 1237, 1239. Includes information about convenience store sighting and the girls leaving the parties.

Post: Hurricane quoting News-Leader re: AMW call, Thread 2, page32, post #776

News-Leader 03/06/93:
His call, which came in to the America’s Most Wanted switchboard about 2:30 p.m. Dec. 31, was cut off when the call-taker tried to link the conversation with investigators, police Sgt. David Asher said.

Post with pics of Sherrill and Suzie's home, by Suspicious Minds, Thread 2, p. 27, #910

Post with citation re: Failed polygraph test, by Cambria, Thread 2, pg. 41, #1022.

Regarding the polygraphs, there was one person who did NOT pass it.

Quote: The men passed the 20th and 21st polygraphs given in the
investigation, now 46 days old. All but one person has passed the tests, indicating they were telling the truth about the questions asked. No details were released on the person who failed the test. End quote. News-Leader, July 23, 1992

A few posts above there is a list of people who supposedly passed the polygraph; original by Hurricane, p. 40, #998.

Originally posted by Indianagirl, #688 on Thread 3:

"Police speculate sexual assault may have been the motive, with Levitt the intended victim."
Jefferson City News-Tribune (MO)
June 9, 2002

It would be interesting to know why LE speculated that Levitt may have been the intended victim and not Suzie or Stacy. I know all of us on here have gone back and forth on who the intended victim was, but this is the first article that I have read with LE speculating on a sex motive and naming the intended victim. This makes me wonder if LE does think there is a good chance the perp(s) was already in the house when the girls arrived home. If the perp(s) wasn't already in the house, why discount Suzie or Stacy as the intended victim?

This is a post by Indianagirl recopied from Thread 3, post #689:

This is the only information I could find about this van. There seems to be a few discrepancies in the reporting on the van, as the below articles' state, a "couple" had the van and it was taken from a "home".

VAN MAY YIELD CLUES IN CASE OF MISSING WOMEN
Author: By Bill Bryan
"A Dodge Ram van found abandoned in a campground in Indiana might be involved in the baffling disappearance in June 1992 of three women from Springfield, Mo., authorities said Saturday.
The 1985 blue van with a camper top will be processed by the Indiana State Police to retrieve possible evidence, authorities said.
The van, without its license plates, was discovered Thursday in a public campground off U.S. Highway 50 about eight miles east of Versailles, Ind. A computer check of the van's vehicle identification number by the Ripley County (Ind.) sheriff's office showed that the van was stolen from Springfield on the same day that the three women disappeared, said Sgt. Bill Davison of the sheriff's office.
Springfield police declined to give further details.
Davison said the van had been brought to the campground this summer by a couple who also drove a pickup. At some point, the couple left the campground, leaving the van behind, he said."
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
October 31, 1993

Police find no link to van, missing women Vehicle recovered in Indiana was stolen same time as abduction in Springfield.
Author: The Associated Press
SPRINGFIELD - "Authorities in Indiana have recovered a van that disappeared about the same time last year as three Springfield women.
But police say they don't believe it is linked to the unsolved abduction case.
"It's important because it was stolen around the same time as the women disappeared, and criminals sometimes like to use stolen vehicles," Capt. Todd Whitson said Saturday.
"But that's the only connection to this case. It is not a major break. " Sherrill Levitt, her daughter, Suzanne Streeter, and Streeter's high school classmate, Stacy McCall, disappeared from Levitt's home on June 7, 1992.
The dark blue 1985 Dodge conversion van was stolen from a home more than 20 blocks from Levitt's home sometime between June 4 and 9 of last year.
The van was found Thursday in a recreational vehicle park in Ripley County in southeast Indiana, Whitson said. The driver of the van was not located, another official said.
Indianapolis police will check the van for evidence and forward their findings to Springfield police.
Though Whitson does not fully discount the importance of the van's discovery, police remain more interested in locating an early 1960s metallic green Dodge van believed used in the abduction."
The Kansas City Star
November 1, 1993

Originally posted by tangledweb, Thread 2, p. 50

The Kansas City Star
1992-06-09
Section: MID-AMERICA
Edition: MID-AMERICA
Page: B2

Two Springfield teens, woman reported missing after graduation
The Associated Press

SPRINGFIELD - A woman and two Springfield teen-agers vanished on graduation night, leaving their cars, purses, money and some clothes behind, investigators and family members said Monday. "Some things just aren't adding up," said Sgt. Mark Webb, adding that police consider crime a possibility in the case.

Police said Stacy Kathleen McCall, 18, and Suzanne E. Streeter, 19, were last seen about 2 a.m. Sunday leaving a graduation party in Battlefield, eight miles southwest of Springfield.

Streeter's mother, Sherrill Elizabeth Levitt, 47, was last seen about eight hours earlier at the students' commencement.

Police asked the public for any information on their whereabouts.

Friends told police the teen-agers left the party in separate cars for Levitt's home.

Their cars and Levitt's car were found at the home.

"I feel terrible, really, because I just don't know what's going on," said McCall's father, Stuart McCall, who filed the missing persons report. "She's been very prompt all her life about telling us where she is. " McCall said his daughter's friends told him that early Sunday she had gone to Streeter's home.

McCall went to the house and found it unlocked with the teen-agers' purses, keys, money and other belongings inside, he said.

The television was on and the dog was inside, he said.

The shoes and shorts that McCall wore to the party also were in the home, along with a swimsuit she planned to wear Sunday to a Branson water park, her father said.
Police found a broken porch light but no signs of forced entry.

The Kickapoo High School students went to the party in Battlefield after the graduation ceremony at Hammons Student Center at Southwest Missouri State University.

McCall said his daughter had permission to spend the night with a friend in nearby Republic, Mo., but not at Streeter's home.

"It was 2 in the morning when she left the party," he said.

"The reason she didn't call was she probably didn't want to get us out of bed. " McCall said his daughter and Streeter had been friends years ago but that they hadn't been close recently.

Police said friends described Levitt, a hair stylist, as a responsible person unlikely to leave town on short notice.

Originally posted by tangledweb, Thread 2, p. 50:

The Kansas City Star
1992-06-18
Section: JOHNSON COUNTY/METRO
Edition: JOHNSON COUNTY
Page: C12

Disappearances puzzle police in Springfield
The Associated Press

SPRINGFIELD - A "significant event" apparently prompted a woman to go looking for her daughter on the night they disappeared with one of the daughter's friends, police said Wednesday. Capt. Tony Glenn said investigators did not know why Sherrill E. Levitt, 47, was concerned about her daughter's whereabouts in the early hours of June 7. "What would cause a mother to be out at 2:15 a.m. looking for her daughter? " he asked.

A witness told police that Levitt stopped at 2:15 a.m. at a convenience store to ask the clerk whether he had seen her daughter and two of her daughter's friends.

Levitt appeared hurried, entering the Apco A-Mart store only halfway and quickly leaving, Glenn said.

Police have known the information for a few days but waited to construct a precise timetable before releasing it, he said at a news conference on the 10th day of the investigation.

Glenn said investigators had not established which two of her daughter's friends Levitt asked the clerk about.

The 19-year-old daughter, Suzie Streeter, and Stacy McCall, 18, left a party in Battlefield for Levitt's home between 2 and 2:10 a.m., police said.

The teen-agers apparently drove separate cars, which were found at Levitt's home along with Levitt's car.

Friends who called the home at 7:30 a.m. got no answer. Police have received more than 500 leads but have found no traces of the three.

Originally posted by tangledweb, thread 2, page 50:

The Kansas City Star
1992-06-28
Section: METROPOLITAN
Edition: METROPOLITAN
Page: B1

Springfield on mission to find missing women
LANE BEAUCHAMP Springfield Correspondent

SPRINGFIELD - They walk through the house looking for an answer. Maybe it's in Stacy's pile of clothes in the bedroom. Or in Suzie's purse, dropped nearby. Or maybe the answer is back in one of the filing cabinets by Sherrill's desk.

Veteran police officers, longtime friends turned amateur detectives, and frustrated relatives have combed through the well-kept three-bedroom house at 1717 E. Delmar St. hoping to find some sign, anything at all, that can give them an answer.

But the searches have yielded few clues as to the whereabouts of Sherrill Levitt; her daughter, Suzie Streeter; and Streeter's friend, Stacy McCall.

Three weeks ago this morning, the three women vanished from Levitt's east Springfield home.

Police are convinced they were abducted. Their families think they are still alive.

"I really feel they're being held somewhere against their will," said McCall's mother, Janis McCall. "We have to hope that they're alive. We think about all the worst, but we have to hope.

Without hope, you don't have anything. " Police say there is no reason the three would have left on their own. They are stable, responsible persons. Levitt, 47, has long been a hairdresser at a Springfield salon. Streeter, 19, works at a movie theater and is thinking about becoming a cosmetologist.

McCall, 18, has been looking forward to starting college and a pledging a sorority in the fall.

They aren't into drugs or cults, police say. To be gone for a day without calling someone would be unusual for them. To go three weeks without contact would be impossible.

"This is a tough case," Springfield Police Chief Terry Knowles said. "Everyone in the department, everyone in the community feels this case. We all just want to find them. " No signs of trouble. The unlocked front door of the house on Delmar Street opens to a home filled with mystery.

Everything seems in its place. Clothes, purses, keys. No signs of trouble.

Springfield police investigator Dana Carrington slowly walks from room to room, taking what is probably his 1,000th trip through the house in the last three weeks. He's looking for something, anything.

"We've unfolded every piece of paper in every pocket in the house," Carrington said. "We've checked every page of every book, gone through every drawer trying to find a clue. " The scene doesn't make sense to anyone.

Levitt and Streeter are chain-smokers, so why would their packs of Marlboros and Virginia Slims be left behind?

McCall suffers recurring migraine headaches and took nightly medication to keep them under control, so why would her pills be left behind?

"I think Stacy had gotten ready for bed," Janis McCall theorized. "She had taken off her shorts, her shoes, her jewelry, her bra. All she would have had on was her shirt and underwear. " Streeter also had changed clothes. The outfit she had on earlier that night was tossed in a dirty-clothes basket.

Levitt and Streeter always made their beds in the morning, friends said. Yet their bedsheets were rumpled, indicating they may have gone to sleep.

There is virtually no trail for police to follow. No cash missing. No credit cards used. Technically, investigators don't even have proof a crime has been committed.

One friend of the teen-agers said it was as if someone walked through the walls and zapped the women with a gun that made them vanish.

Graduation parties The evening before they disappeared was filled with frivolity.

Streeter and McCall, longtime friends but not particularly close ones, had graduated from Kickapoo High School. The night would be spent celebrating.

It was about 8:30 p.m. on Saturday, June 6. Classmate Janelle Kirby remembers Streeter arriving at her house first. McCall came a few minutes later in her own car.

The first party of the night was at the home of Kirby's next-door neighbors.

"Suzie had a little stomach ache, but nothing else was bothering her," friend Shane Appleby remembered. "She was excited about finally graduating. Everything was kind of open for us.

Anything we wanted to do was out there now, and we could just reach for it. " Appleby, 18, said Streeter always called him her big brother, even though she is a few months older.

"Her license plate says it all: SWEETR," Appleby said. "She's a sweet girl. She's a person you can always depend on. Anytime I was down or troubled, she would give me good advice. She'd tell me to stand up on my own and be my own person. " Appleby said he and Streeter spent much of graduation night reminiscing about their high school days - the people they had met, the things they had done.

Streeter is friendly but shy, friends said. She is more likely to stick closer to people she knows. McCall, on the other hand, bounces about a party and immediately brings life to everyone around her.

"You can be as down as down can go, and Stacy will come up and make you laugh and smile," said Kirby, McCall's best friend.

By about 2 a.m. Sunday, the parties were winding down. McCall decided she would spend the night with Streeter and the group would meet later that morning to head for a water amusement park in Branson, Mo.

"I saw Suzie and Stacy walk down to their cars," Appleby said.

"Everything was normal. That was the last time I saw them. "

Plans to go to Branson

Levitt, as much a friend to her daughter as a mother, apparently spent the evening at home. A private person who had been divorced twice, Levitt seems to prefer redecorating her house, which she bought this spring, to going out.

Her daughter's friends marvel at the relationship between Levitt and Streeter. The two can talk about anything. Levitt is very protective of her daughter, yet gives her the room to make her own decisions, friends said.

Levitt spoke by telephone with a friend about 9:30 p.m. She gave no indication of any trouble or concerns. There has been no confirmed contact with Levitt since.

Streeter was not supposed to be home that evening. Initial plans had her staying with McCall and their other friends at a hotel room in Branson. That shifted over the night to their sleeping at one of the friends' homes in Battlefield, Mo. But in the end there were too many people there, so Streeter invited McCall over to her home. The two are thought to have arrived about 2:30 a.m. Sunday, June 7. When friends didn't hear from the pair Sunday morning about the day trip to Branson, they tried calling, then went to the house.

They found all three women's cars in the driveway, locked. They found the house unoccupied but left unlocked - something Levitt wouldn't do. The globe from a porch light was shattered on the ground.

"We cleaned it up because we knew Sherrill wouldn't want it that way," Kirby said. "Normally, the second it broke she would have cleaned it up. " Still not suspecting anything was wrong, as many as 18 friends that day walked through the house, looking for some indication of where Levitt, Streeter and McCall may have been.

As the day wore on with no signs of the three, police eventually were called in, and the search began.

A motive continues to baffle police. They looked into the three women's backgrounds, hoping to find some spark that could ignite the investigation. So far there has been nothing solid. They have given polygraph tests to a few people who knew the women, but the police chief said no strong suspects had developed.

In three weeks, 30 Springfield police officers and a handful of state and federal authorities have received more than 1,200 tips and followed nearly 500 leads.

$40,000 reward

The case has captivated this southwest Missouri city of 140,000.

There are billboards, posters or yellow ribbons everywhere you look.

Volunteers have showed up by the truckload to lend a hand in searches. A reward fund offers $40,000. Television and radio update the case each newscast, and a newspaper keeps a front-page tally of how many days the women have been missing.

The case has even received national attention.

Fox Television's "America's Most Wanted" series has featured the women for the last three weeks. A crew from the CBS News show "48 Hours" is documenting the investigation for an hourlong segment not yet scheduled.

"The community has been absolutely phenomenal," Janis McCall said. "It's overwhelming. They've helped with food and love and prayers and cards. It keeps you going. " But all the help and support and interest hasn't brought back the three women. And police admit they are not much closer to solving the case today than they were three weeks ago.

"There's nothing to get your teeth into," Police Lt. Mike Brazeal said. "It's hampered by a lack of knowledge. The hard facts are very few. " Police now are focusing on what the women did between about 2 and 7:30 a.m. Sunday, June 7. Streeter and McCall obviously made it to the house, and the three had at least gotten ready for bed. But they don't know when that happened or whether anyone else was in the house.

A plea for the public's help has turned up two possible sightings in that period. A convenience store clerk thinks Levitt came into his store searching for her daughter. A waitress at a crowded all-night restaurant thinks she served Levitt, Streeter and another woman, possibly McCall. No other witnesses have corroborated those stories, though.

The investigation, then, often leads to unanswered questions.

"We look at the reports and wonder if the answer is in there," said Knowles, the police chief. "Or is the answer at the graduation party? Or is the answer in the residence?

"There is a genuine desire in this department, in this community, to get this case resolved," he said. "All we're looking for is that something to point us in a direction. "

Tulsa World
June 28, 1992
Edition: FINAL HOME EDITION
Section: NEWS
Page: A8

Investigators Remain Clueless in Case Of Missing Women
Author: AP
Article Text:
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) - Investigators wonder if some tiny, overlooked clue is buried in thousand of pages of police reports, or in fibers drawn from carpeting at the home where three women vanished.

Three weeks of round-the-clock investigating have produced a few sketchy leads. But police say there's still no trace of what - or who - made Sherrill Levitt, her daughter, Suzie Streeter, and Stacy McCall disappear on June 7.
"There are no theories that have been totally eliminated," said Capt. Tony Glenn, commander of the criminal investigations unit.

Each woman's car remains parked outside Ms. Levitt's home. Inside, police found everything the women likely would have taken if they left town willingly: purses, cash, makeup, keys, identification, cigarettes and medication.

Within a day of the June 8 missing-persons report, the Springfield Police Department threw about 30 officers onto the case.
Still, investigators initially said there was no evidence of a crime.

After three weeks, however, officers from Chief Terry Knowles down believe the women almost certainly were abducted. But they don't have enough evidence to focus on any one suspect, motive, theory or lead.
Investigators theorize an abductor as an acquaintance or a stranger, a planner or an opportunist, one person or two.

"To me, that's the most disconcerting thing about this case," detective Doug Thomas said. "In most cases we know what happened and why. We might not know who did it. But in this case, we don't even know why."

A detective is assigned to study each victim, searching for anybody who might have a motive to harm one or more of them.
Investigators continue to develop information, but nothing indicating trouble has been found so far, Glenn said.

Ms. McCall, 18, and Ms. Streeter, 19, graduated from Kickapoo High School the night before they disappeared. They visited a few parties with friends, then left a friend's home in nearby Battlefield about 2:20 a.m., driving separate cars to the home of Ms. Levitt, a 47-year-old beautician.

Friends who called the home got no answer at 7:30 a.m.

By the time police were called, 18 friends and family members of the three women had entered the unlocked house, some unwittingly interfering with potential evidence. Investigators say they can't determine how far the interference may have set back their case. They have called the people back several times to help reconstruct the crime scene.

A forensics team spent much of last week sifting through the house for fibers or other evidence that might prove valuable.

Leads began to dwindle toward the end of the week. Crime analysts began poring page by page over reports stacked more than two feet thick. Analysts supervisor Sue Schofield said the team will look for inconsistencies and unanswered questions in interviews with more than 300 people.

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
June 14, 1992
Edition: L5
Page: 1A

Disappearance Of 3 Women Baffles Police
No Clues: Abduction Suspected

Author: By Tom Uhlenbrock
Of the Post-Dispatch Staff
Article Text:

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. - Police Capt. Tony Glenn says he has slept with a notebook by his bed for the past week. ''Every 30 minutes, you wake up and write down something else you need to check,'' he said.

Many of the town's residents have been spending restless nights because of the baffling disappearance of three women June 7 from a home in Springfield.

The women - a mother, her daughter, and the daughter's friend - left behind their cars, purses, medication and the family Yorkshire terrier. The lights and television were on in the house, the beds looked slept-in, and the front door was unlocked.

Police found nothing missing and no sign of blood or violence. Neighbors reported hearing or seeing nothing unusual.

A weeklong search has found no trace of Sherrill Levitt, 47, her daughter, Suzanne E. Streeter, 19, and Streeter's friend, Stacy McCall, 18. Levitt missed a doctor's appointment on Monday, and none of the three showed up for work.

''This case has gone beyond a missing-persons case,'' police Chief Terry Knowles said late last week. ''I think there has been some form of abduction.''
In an interview in his office, Glenn pieced together the events that led up to and followed the women's disappearance and described what he called the Police Department's ''full-court press'' to find them.

Streeter, Levitt's daughter by the first of two marriages that ended in divorce, and McCall were seniors at Kickapoo High School. They attended graduation ceremonies the night before they disappeared.

Levitt also attended the ceremonies and then returned to her modest home at 1717 East Delmar Street, saying she planned to hang wallpaper. A friend talked with her on the telephone at 9:15 p.m., the last time police can pinpoint her whereabouts.

The younger women attended two parties and then returned to the Levitt house, where McCall was to spend the night. Their cars were parked on the circular drive in front.

''If they went directly from the parties, they would have arrived at the house at about 2:30 a.m.,'' said Glenn.

At 7:30 that morning, friends went to the house after Streeter and McCall failed to show up for a trip to a water amusement park in nearby Branson, Mo. They found no one home.

''Their purses, makeup - all the things you need - were found in the home,'' the police captain said. He said that the shorts McCall had been wearing were found also.

''A pack of Marlboros was on the night stand next to Streeter's bed; she was said to be a chain smoker. The television set was on. We have been told that Streeter was an insomniac, and it was only normal for her to have turned the TV on, and the sound down, to sleep."

''Medication that McCall's family said she needed for migraines was found in the residence.''

Because of the confusion caused by the busy schedule of events of the graduation weekend, Glenn said missing person reports were not filed with police by McCall's parents until 2:50 a.m. Monday, nearly 20 hours after friends found the house empty.

During that time, 18 people - friends and relatives - went into the house, Glenn said, obscuring any clues that might have been left. ''We're still trying to piece together the degree of disturbance,'' he said.

More than 30 police officers - including agents from the Springfield FBI office - have been working on the case. They are questioning hundreds of friends, relatives and business associates and following up the slimmest of leads.

A smashed porch light at the house was found to have been broken previously. An auto theft in the neighborhood was determined to be unrelated. A multiple kidnapping in Oklahoma City was ruled out as a link when it was discovered that a child custody battle was involved in that case.

A conference room on the second floor of police headquarters is being used as a command post for the search. Poster-size sheets of paper are taped to the four walls and scrawled with notes as a ''time line'' recording the work on the case.

One reads: ''12:50: returned to HQ after search of Pearson Creek from Catalpa to junction of Jones River. Both banks and access area. Negative results.''
Another says: ''Cults?''
''It's one of those things that we've checked into,'' said Glenn. ''What we're doing is eliminating things.

''We've questioned over 200 people, some more than once. Levitt works as a hair stylist; she has a good following. There's approximately 250 people in her client book, and we're interviewing every one of them.

''Yesterday, we searched the creek and a waste-water treatment plant on another of those 'you-need-to-look-at' tips.''

Both girls dated, and their male friends and those who attended the graduation parties have been questioned. ''We're trying to reconstruct their lives, their social activities, their normal ways of doing things,'' he said.

Police talked with Levitt's first husband but have been unable to find the second. A friend told police that Levitt had had no contact with her second husband, whom she divorced in 1989, and had not dated.

''We've broadcast the women's pictures nationally, and yesterday we got a call from Atlantic City, N.J.,'' Glenn said. ''Someone thought they had seen the Levitt woman board a plane. We never turn down anything.''

But when asked whether police had any solid clues or suspects in the case, Glenn shook his head and said, ''None.''

Glenn, a 23-year veteran of the department who has a young daughter himself, said the officers working the case remained optimistic.
''There's no reason not to be,'' he said. ''But later on, as time goes by and leads dwindle down. . . .''

Officers have remained at Levitt's neatly kept, one-story house 24 hours a day. Streeter's shiny red Ford Escort with ''SWEETR'' plates sits in front, with McCall's red Toyota close behind. Levitt's blue Mitsubishi is in the carport, which is decorated with a hanging basket of red impatiens.

In Streeter's bedroom, a gym bag of clothes sits unzipped on the floor. The room, including the ceiling, is plastered with pictures of Marilyn Monroe; Streeter, a blonde, has a job taking tickets at a local theater.

McCall has a job at a health club. She has long chestnut hair, which creates a striking contrast to the wedding gowns she modeled as a part-time job.

The aluminum screen door to the house is covered with the dark dust that police use to collect fingerprints. Inside, an officer was vacuuming in another search for evidence.

Tom Cowens, a forensic technician with the police department, walked out carrying the tools of his trade. He glanced at a newspaper photographer recording his exit and said: ''What we're hoping is they come home and b**ch at us for messing up the house.''

These are technically not media links, but they are available resources about Bartt. tangledweb's post regarding Bartt, Thread 2, #387:

Below is a partial chronology of Streeter's movements/life from the time he left Springfield up until May, 2008, where records show he's in arrears for back child support to the tune of $14,000.00.

If LE were to reinvestigate Streeter, the people mentioned below would have first-hand info of what he has said about the 3MW case and what he has done since leaving Springfield, MO.

Comparing that after-the-fact court-admissable information to what is already documented could shed new light on the case. I would also include his juvenile record up in Washington state since it would show Streeter's early mental state as a juvenile and may very well play into evidence in this case.

08/31/2001 Docket Entry: Judge/Clerk - Note
Text: APA WORSHAM WITHDRAWS DISMISSAL LETTER. PER MEB/TDT (MissouriCase.net)

Sept. 15, 1992 Levitt's son, Bartt Streeter, considered an initial suspect, quits his job and leaves Springfield. He has not returned. It is the 100th day of the investigation. (SL news article)

09/17/1992 Docket Entry: Judge/Clerk - Note
Text: Notification from CASP that Deft has not completed program. tdt (MissouriCase.net)

09/18/1992 Docket Entry: Judge/Clerk - Note
Text: Deft. has not completed CASP. Issue warrant for prob. viola tion. bond set $1500.00. BJK jt (MissouriCase.net)

09/25/1992 Docket Entry: Judge/Clerk - Note
Text: Warrant issued, bond $1500.00. jt (MissouriCase.net)

Address records show Streeter having lived in SHERWOOD, AR and then NORTH LITTLE ROCK, AR after he left Springfield, MO.

On October 14, 1995, Tabetha Jo Price, age 20, daughter of Danny Gerald Price & Brenda Fay Maples was married to Bartt Loran Streeter, age 31, son of Brentt Merrill Streeter & Sherrill Elizabeth Williams. Streeter was born in Bellevue, Washington & Price was born in Conway, Arkansas. They were married by Robert F. Maples, minister in North Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas.

http://www.pulaskiclerk.com/Marriage...r=OML100042352

It appears that they were divorced in 1999.

I've already documented elsewhere on this thread the November/2000 attempted kidnapping/coercion episode in Las Vegas, NV, but will post the links to the police reports again:

http://webpages.charter.net/autumnrain/streeter1.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/autumnrain/streeter2.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/autumnrain/streeter3.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/autumnrain/streeter4.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/autumnrain/streeter5.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/autumnrain/streeter6.jpg

On April 13, 2004, Streeter requested a copy of the divorce, presumably for his upcoming marriage to Bernadett M. Benham, although I do not find any record of a divorce or marriage for either of them (except a divorce for Bernadette from a Darrell Benham)

MOTION & ORDER SERVED-9/23/99 TO:TABETHA STREETER
11/19/1999 FINAL ORDER Divorced
04/13/2004 Certified copy/Copy fee Bartt Streeter

04/13/2004 $ 4.00 Pd CERTIFIED COPY/COPY FEE BARTT STREETER

Though I didn't order it, there is a record filed in Clark County, Nevada. It's unknown to me whether it's marriage-related:

http://recorder.co.clark.nv.us/extReal/SimpleQuery.asp

Instrument: 20040611-00450 Book/Instr:
Document Type: Order - MASTER Recorded: 06/11/2004 08:03:53 Pgs: 5
ReRecorded: N Remarks:
Requestor: DISTRICT ATTORNEY CLARK COUNTY

1st Party:
STREETER, BARTT
2nd Party:
BENHAM, BERNADETTE

The next three criminal items are recorded in Punta Gorda, FL at the Charlotte county, FL website:

http://www.ccso.org/localcrime/searc...cfm?data=25469

The final item is from a Charlotte County Official Records Search:

http://208.47.160.77/or/Search.aspx

That record is:

http://http://webpages.charter.net/autumnrain/loser.jpg

His ex-wife Bernadett Benham also has a Myspace page (you must be logged in) at:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=78314470

Records for Tabetha Streeter show her currently as:

MATTHEWS, TABETHA P (Age 33)

Associated names:

MATTHEWS, TABITHA
MATTHEWS, TABETHA JO
MATTHEWS, TABITH
PRICE, TABETHA JO
STREETER, TABETHA

and living in:

EULESS, TX
LEWISVILLE, TX
HENSLEY, AR
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, AR
LITTLE ROCK, AR
ARLINGTON, TX

Now, since she's the first known person that Streeter met after leaving Springfield, if one could track her down and possibly interview her, one never knows what information she may hold.

Jefferson City News-Tribune (MO)
June 9, 2002
Section: News

City refuses to forget three Springfield women who vanished in 1992
Article Text:
Associated Press Writer

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- It was graduation night, a night of anticipation and excitement. Friends gathered later for parties, making plans to continue the celebration the next day.

But somewhere between the parties and the next day, things fell apart for two high school classmates and one of their mothers. They vanished without a trace -- and the mystery is no closer to solution today than it was a decade ago.

There are no solid clues and no suspects in the disappearance of Sherrill Levitt, her 19-year-old daughter Suzanne "Suzie" Streeter and her daughter's friend, Stacy McCall. Investigators and those who track missing adults recall no similar case.

"In my 10 years, the case of the three women missing from Springfield is very uncommon," says Kym Pasqualini, president of the Nation's Missing Children Organization and Center for Missing Adults in Phoenix. "It's very unique to have multiple adults disappear together, especially under those circumstances."

Streeter and McCall graduated from Kickapoo High School on June 6, 1992. After attending two parties, the girls decided to get a few hours' sleep before heading to a Branson amusement park with friends. They arrived in the early morning hours of June 7 at Levitt's home and prepared for bed.

When friends arrived later that morning, the three women were gone.
Their purses, containing cigarettes, money and medication, were left behind. Their cars were still in the driveway.

Except for a broken porch light, nothing seemed askew, although a neighbor reported having seen a nervous woman matching Streeter's description pull a van into her driveway early that morning and turn around. Investigators found no fingerprints, fibers or DNA in the tidy one-story home that sits a few hundred feet from a busy thoroughfare.

Soon after the apparent abductions, more than 100,000 fliers with the women's pictures were hung on trees, utility poles and in storefront windows. There were prayer vigils and yellow ribbons.

Searches were conducted by horseback, on foot and by all-terrain vehicles. Divers went into murky lakes. Fields were dug. Woods canvassed.

"America's Most Wanted" aired the story. So did "48 Hours," Maury Povich and Oprah Winfrey.

Springfield police have followed more than 5,200 leads that have taken them to more than 20 states, Sgt. Mike Owen says. They have listened to numerous psychics -- one even attempted to elicit clues from Levitt's dog -- and called in a team of retired investigators to review the case. There are no suspects, but about a half-dozen individuals remain under suspicion.

Local speculation focused on Robert Cox, a former Army Ranger serving 30 years for robbery in Texas who lived in Springfield when the women disappeared. He was convicted in the 1978 murder of a young Walt Disney World worker, but the Florida Supreme Court later acquitted him of all charges. Cox also has not been cleared in a series of 1992 killings along Interstate 70.

Police admit they're interested in Cox. But they also call him a "manipulator" and an "opportunist" who loves media attention.

Police speculate sexual assault may have been the motive, with Levitt the intended victim.

Most agree the best chance for the case to be solved is for an informant to come forward. The reward stands at $100,000.

A new detective has been assigned to the case, and police hope the fresh attention surrounding the anniversary will bring new leads.
The family did not plan to mark the somber milestone.
It was hard enough when they disappeared. As day 3,650 approached, it was clear the grieving had not stopped.

"I guess I'm surprised people still remember after 10 years," Janis McCall says softly, as she recalls the last time she saw her daughter, Stacy. "For me, it's been 10 years of Hell," she said. A stubborn instinct kindles the faint hope that Stacy is still alive.
"I'll never give up -- I can't," she says. "I have two choices. I can completely disappear and become a vegetable, or I can go out and try to help."

Questions from reporters are probing and painful for McCall. She tells endearing stories. And she laughs about the teen-ager her sisters teasingly nicknamed "Spacey Stacy" after she locked her keys in her car -- and how she loved to transform her appearance with hats, makeup or a simple hair braid.

McCall has blocked out some events surrounding her daughter's disappearance. But she shares what she does remember on the chance it will move someone to report the tip that brings Stacy home.

McCall admits that at first she was angry -- convinced her 18-year-old daughter was invoking a new independence by not telling her parents of her plans. She recalls arriving at Levitt's house and seeing Stacy's shorts and shirt in Streeter's room. Also there was her purse with the migraine medication needed to control painful headaches.
"That first night after she disappeared, I remember thinking that she doesn't have her toothbrush. She doesn't have any clothes," McCall says.

As time passed, regrets mounted: If only she hadn't begged her daughter to wait until morning to make the 35-mile drive south to Branson.

"I have to remind myself that I did not do this," she says. "I am not to blame. Some horrible person is to blame."

Hope has faded for Levitt's uncle, Cliff Williams.
"I guess even if they found them now, it wouldn't mean much because her father is gone," Williams says. "He's the one who deserved to know."

Levitt's father pondered the case until his death in 1997. The rest of the family went to court a few months later and had Levitt and her daughter declared dead.

Levitt moved to Springfield in 1980 from Seattle, Wash., intent on starting a new life. She worked as a beautician and loved fixing up homes, he recalls.

Levitt, then 47, had divorced her daughter's father shortly after she was born. He had never been active in her life.

Williams pauses as he recalls packing up Streeter's room -- which was filled with clothes, stuffed animals and had numerous posters on the wall.

"I have no suggestions for police or complaints about what they've done," Williams says. "They just don't have much to go on."

Janelle Kirby was the link that brought the two girls together.
"It was just a freak situation that they were even together that night," Kirby says.
While the faces of her classmates are frozen in time, Kirby is now 28 -- a wife and mother.

"We were having so much fun," she says. "We had celebrated our birthdays. We had gone to prom and graduation. We were looking forward to summer."
She and McCall were making plans to attend Southwest Missouri State. They planned to join a sorority.

Streeter was going to cosmetology school. She wanted to be a beautician, like her mom.
Kirby still searches strangers' faces, hoping to find her friends.
The case continues to trouble David Asher, who retired from the Springfield Police Department in 1995.

Everyone was puzzled by the pristine crime scene, says Asher, who headed the investigation in the early days. "Mom's glasses were next to the bed. There was a book turned over, as if she had been reading. It just did not look like a crime scene."
He has his own theory: Someone plucked Levitt's small dog from her backyard, then knocked on the door, using the ruse of wanting to return it.
"I wish more than anything that this case would be solved," he says. "I personally think they have the information, but it just hasn't been all put together yet. They need the piece that makes it all make sense."

Restaurant manager Matt Marquart insists he is not on a crusade, but he refuses to remove the poster of the three missing women from the window of Coyote's Adobe Cafe and Bar.

"After 10 years, I just can't take it down," he says. "I won't until this thing is over."
Marquart remembers when the women's faces were everywhere he looked.
What Marquart remembers most is how it changed Springfield. Suddenly people started locking their doors, scrutinizing strangers, trying to jar their memory of the tiniest detail that might help police, he says.

"That poster is tattered and torn -- it has a lot of tape on it," Marquart says. "But it stands for something. It's a reminder that those women are still missing. Who knows, maybe someone will see it and think of something that will help."

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
June 9, 1993
Edition: FIVE STAR
Page: 6A

FEW LEADS ON FATE OF 3 MISSING WOMEN
Author: AP
Dateline: SPRINGFIELD, MO.
Article Text:

A year of anguish, fears and anger has passed for the families and friends of three women who disappeared after a graduation party. Even the investigators have shed tears.

The waiting continues.

A year ago Monday, the three women - Sherill Levitt; her daughter, Suzie Streeter; and Suzie's high school classmate Stacy McCall - vanished from Levitt's home.
After 5,000 leads, investigators have no suspects and few clues. They acknowledge that they are no closer to solving the case than they were the night of June 7, 1992.

"I couldn't even begin to tell you how awful it's been," said Janis McCall, Stacy's mother.

The women disappeared hours after McCall, then 18, and Streeter, then 19, graduated from Kickapoo High School. Police suspect that the three were kidnapped and murdered. But like the families, investigators say it's possible the women could turn up alive.

Detective Gerald Dove has shed tears of frustration.

"Knowing I have a job to do, knowing that there are people depending on me has kept me and others going," Dove said.

Deb Schwartz of Seattle wants to establish a memorial of some type - a gravestone or red roses - for her half-sister, Levitt, and her niece. But there's no gravesite to visit.

"Where do you go?" she asked. "I think it's one of the most cruel things someone could do, to take lives like this and watch people - the survivors - dangle on a wire."

Levitt, a divorced hair stylist, was last seen alive at 4 p.m. June 6, 1992. McCall left a graduation party with Streeter around 2 a.m. June 7 and decided to spend the night with her friend.

Sometime early June 7, the three apparently were abducted from the home "quickly and without a struggle," police Sgt. David Asher said.

McCall hadn't planned to spend the night at the home, leading authorities to believe she wasn't the target of an abduction.

Police later found each woman's car parked outside Levitt's home. Inside the unlocked and orderly home was everything the women likely would have taken had they left willingly: purses, cash, makeup, keys, identification, cigarettes, medication.

Police in this city of about 140,000 initially put 30 investigators on the case. Now, one full-time and two part-time investigators remain. The case has been profiled on television crime shows, but tips have dwindled.

On Monday, about 200 people gathered in a park to pay tribute to the women and to release yellow balloons. They were inscribed with messages that included "Come home soon."

Police will investigate "until we resolve the case," police Capt. Todd Whitson said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back