Suspects: Jesse Rush and Marvin Chaney

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaia227

I have never taken any exercise except sleeping an
Reaction score
Rush and Chaney murdered Trudy Darby in 1991. They abducted her from a convenient store, threw her in their trunk, took her to a barn where they raped her and beat her before finally killing her and throwing her body in the river.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=mo&vol=/appeals/071997/&invol=11107_97

Jesse Rush appeal
http://www.courts.mo.gov/file/Opinion_SD21014.rtf

Marvin Chaney appeal
http://www.courts.mo.gov/file/Opinion_SD27931.rtf

They are considered suspects in the murder of Cheryl Kenney who was also a convenient store worker and the disappearence of Angela Hammond.

Jesse made comments about burning the barn down to cover evidence of other crimes committed. I think it is unlikely Trudy was their first victim or their last.

We've talked about these guys before on the general thread. I thought it would be nice to give the suspects their own threads for easier reference. Please feel free to add and discuss.

The Marshall brothers were the ones who were never charged...I got my names mixed up in the post on the other forum. Greg Marshall was the one who burned the barn down. He still shows an address in Macks Creek where he aparently still lives. I'll look up the other brothers name and post it.

I still think that this group would be ones to look closer at in the Three Missing Women case from Springfield, as well as Angela Hammond, and the women that disappeared from the Neveda Convienance store. They all happened in 1991 & 1992 and they were all with in about 80-miles of each other...coincidence???? May Be Not!

In Thread #2 between post 510 and 550 there was a good discussion of these guys as suspects. Their MO was not totally inconsistant with this case. They seemed to prowl around late at night looking for opertunistic victims and then concel the bodies. They did exhibit some sophstication at avoiding forensic evidence. Otherwise, there are few similarities between this case and others they are suspected of.

It is possible that they drove to Springfield to "hunt" and followed two women home. They could have decided to try a home invasion even though there was a third car and an unknown third person in the house. (it would be safer, I would think, to do the abduction before they entered the house) How they entered the house would be a mystery since there was no sign of forced entry. From their pictures, I don't think they could have pulled off any kind of "rouse". There is always the chance that these guys (or any other lowlifes) could have followed them home, watched them enter the house and asked themselve "what if they forgot to lock the front door?"

This senerio seems to contradict most of the conclusions I have drawn on the case but it definitly meets the KISS test. Any thoughts?

I agree Kemo - I think it is worth a look but it does not fit their M.O.
They targeting women who were alone at night in a public place. They didn't have to break in into a home and deal with uncertainties that come with that.

There is the possibility they were getting bored with that M.O. and wanted to do something bigger, more dangerous, more exciting so they ended up in Springfield on graduation night when lots of young girls were out. They could have spotted Stacey and Suzi and followed them but again the question remains HOW DID THEY GET IN??
The perps could have pulled in right behind the girls boxing them in and then assaulting them in the driveway, forcing them inside but that doesn't make any sense because there is evidence showing the girls were getting ready for bed. Whoever did this had to do it after the girls had been home awhile - unless they extravagently staged the scene without leaving any fingerprints, hairs, DNA behind and that seems unlikely. IF that is what happened I would put money on the perps NOT being Rush and Chaney because I don't think they are that smart and organized. I imagine their attacks as being quick, violent and chaotic - I could be wrong.

How old were these two in 1992? Is it possible they ended up at the party through someone they knew and then followed the girls home?

I have wondered before if Chaney and Rush are not the I-70 killers - those crimes seem to fit with them a little more than the 3MW.

I agree Kemo - I think it is worth a look but it does not fit their M.O.
They targeting women who were alone at night in a public place. They didn't have to break in into a home and deal with uncertainties that come with that.

There is the possibility they were getting bored with that M.O. and wanted to do something bigger, more dangerous, more exciting so they ended up in Springfield on graduation night when lots of young girls were out. They could have spotted Stacey and Suzi and followed them but again the question remains HOW DID THEY GET IN??
The perps could have pulled in right behind the girls boxing them in and then assaulting them in the driveway, forcing them inside but that doesn't make any sense because there is evidence showing the girls were getting ready for bed. Whoever did this had to do it after the girls had been home awhile - unless they extravagently staged the scene without leaving any fingerprints, hairs, DNA behind and that seems unlikely. IF that is what happened I would put money on the perps NOT being Rush and Chaney because I don't think they are that smart and organized. I imagine their attacks as being quick, violent and chaotic - I could be wrong.

How old were these two in 1992? Is it possible they ended up at the party through someone they knew and then followed the girls home?

I have wondered before if Chaney and Rush are not the I-70 killers - those crimes seem to fit with them a little more than the 3MW.

I can't remember which one, but one was only 15 at the time of Darby's murder, so in 92, he would have been around 16. Perhaps, they knew someone graduating from Kickapoo? Anyone know what kind of vehicles these guys had?

ETA: In 91, Rush was 15 at the time of the murder, and Chaney was 29 or 30 and a car was used during her abduction, she was put in the trunk.

Here's the background on the Darby case. In the text below, "defendant" is Rush.

"At approximately 10:00 p.m. on January 19, 1991, Trudy Darby was working at the K & D convenience store in Macks Creek, Camden County, Missouri. Just prior to closing the store for the evening, Ms. Darby noticed a suspicious looking man standing outside the front of the store. She immediately telephoned her home and spoke to her son, Waylon Darby, whom she asked to come to the store to help her close up. That telephone call ended abruptly.
Before her son arrived to help, Trudy Darby was abducted at gun point by at least three men. Upon arriving at the store and discovering that his mother was gone, Waylon Darby called the Camden County Sheriff's Department. Trooper Jimmy Mays of the Missouri State Highway Patrol arrived at the scene and "processed" the store and surrounding area. Despite extensive search efforts that evening, Trudy Darby was not found.
On January 21, 1991, a concerned citizen heard a report from one of his neighbors that he heard a gunshot near the Little Niangua River on the night of Ms. Darby's abduction. After investigating himself and discovering what appeared to be blood and blond hair on the road near the river, the citizen contacted Deputy Crocker of the Camden County Sheriff's Department, who in turn contacted Trooper Mays, and together the two officers went to the river and investigated.
They discovered the blood, hair and a spent .38 caliber shell casing near the river. The two officers also discovered that the flow of the water in the river created a whirlpool near a bridge, and they believed that anything thrown in the river would have either stayed near the whirlpool or would have not floated very far downstream.
Next, the officers contacted the Missouri Highway Patrol and requested a helicopter search along the river. The helicopter search resulted in locating a nude female body that was about four feet under water and approximately three-quarter's of a mile downstream from where the blood, hair and shell casing were found. The body was identified as Trudy Darby.
The blood and hair found on the road near the river were later determined to match Trudy Darby's blood and hair by the Missouri State Highway Patrol Crime Laboratory.
An autopsy was performed by Dr. Jay Dix on Trudy Darby's body on January 22, 1991. Dr. Dix determined that Trudy Darby's death was caused by two gunshot wounds. The first shot entered the right side of her head creating a gutter wound across her right ear, and the bullet then lodged in her skull after traveling about one inch. The trajectory of the bullet indicated that it came from behind and to the right of the victim. The second shot entered the back of Ms. Darby's head and traveled up through her brain before coming to rest below her scalp.
The investigation into who abducted and murdered Trudy Darby revealed little until the Summer of 1994.
Between 1992 and 1993, Defendant was living with family members near Kansas City, Missouri, and during his stay there he revealed to Elizabeth Corpening that he was involved in the abduction and murder of Trudy Darby. Ms. Corpening was disturbed by this revelation but did not take it too seriously.
Thereafter, in 1993 Defendant revealed to Carl Blakely, a former neighbor of Defendant, that he was involved in the abduction and murder of Trudy Darby. However, this time Defendant's revelation was taken seriously and was reported to Trooper Mays. During the same time period, Gretchen Chastain, a former girlfriend of Defendant, also reported to Trooper Mays that Defendant had revealed to her that he was involved in the abduction and murder of Trudy Darby.
Armed with these reports, Trooper Mays had Defendant arrested. After his arrest, Defendant was interviewed by three officers. One of the officers was a juvenile officer because at the time of the murder, Defendant would have been fifteen years old. At the beginning of the interview, Defendant denied his involvement in this crime. However, later during the interview, Defendant changed his mind and revealed that he was present during the commission of the crimes. Defendant also implicated his brother and one other individual.
It appears that Defendant, together with his brother and at least one other person, arrived at the K & D convenience store on January 19, 1991, with the purpose of robbing and abducting Trudy Darby.
After entering the store and taking money from the cash register, Trudy Darby was dragged out of the store and thrown into the trunk of their automobile. Trudy Darby was then taken to a barn located near the convenience store where she was repeatedly raped and beaten by Defendant and the other persons involved. She was then shot once in the head and placed back into the trunk of their automobile. Defendant and his co-conspirators then drove to the Little Niangua River and opened the trunk and discovered that Trudy Darby was still alive. She was shot in the head again. Her body was then thrown into the river.
During Defendant's incarceration pending trial on this matter, he revealed to at least three inmates that he was involved in the abduction and murder of Trudy Darby. These three inmates each testified against Defendant.
One of the inmates was Edward Thomas, with whom Defendant became acquainted at the Fulton Diagnostic Center. Defendant was under the mistaken belief that Edward Thomas, a "jailhouse lawyer," could help him "beat" the charges pending against him. During the course of several conversations and some thirteen hand-written letters to Edward Thomas, Defendant revealed his involvement in the murder of Trudy Darby.
Thereafter, Edward Thomas turned over all the letters he received from Defendant and revealed the substance of his conversations with Defendant to the Camden County Sheriff's Department. These letters were all introduced into evidence by the prosecution during Defendant's trial.
Defendant did not testify on his own behalf at trial nor did he present any evidence on his behalf. Defendant was convicted by a jury of first degree murder and kidnapping and was sentenced to life in prison without eligibility for parole or probation."

Jess Rush was the younger one. He would have been 15 in 1991.

Trudy was our school secretary for years before this happened. It was a tragedy for our entire town. Then to realize that this happened by someone who had been a student and schoolmate at one time was unfathonable.

The Marshall brothers were the ones who were never charged...I got my names mixed up in the post on the other forum. Greg Marshall was the one who burned the barn down. He still shows an address in Macks Creek where he aparently still lives. I'll look up the other brothers name and post it.

It was Cheevers brothers that were never charged w/ the crime and first name is Marshall and yes, still resides in Macks Creek along w/ his brother

It was Cheevers brothers that were never charged w/ the crime and first name is Marshall and yes, still resides in Macks Creek along w/ his brother

Yea...I got the names screwed up for some reason, realized it at a later date, but kept forgetting to go back and correct it...Thank you!!

I'll bet those two know a lot more then Law Enforcement ever found out about!!!

I wonder why they were never charged...weren't they part of the Trudy Darby Crime? I mean, the had enough to convict the other two, why not these two?

I don't get why they weren't charged. If they raped Trudy, aren't they registered sex offenders?

According to her son, who was 10 at the time, Cheryl Anne Kenney was being stalked by a L.E. officer at the time of her disappearance.

Looking around I seen that one of these guys is being looked at for a case that happened in 1989 in Festus mo. Does anyone have any info on that

As a longtime resident of western Camden County, i recall this one all too well. Glad to see a few people are correcting this "Marshall brothers" thing. I dont recall there ever even being a family or any individuals with that last name in the area at that time, or any other time, so that was fairly annoying. I do believe those stating that it was a guy with that first name and the last name of Cheevers mentioned as possibly involved. I dont think i ever met the guy, but i have known other members of that family and i think its safe to say that he is the anomaly among that group. Im not sure how many kids that family had altogether, being they are from another state originally, but i only knew of one brother there locally, who i think may have actually worked in radio "on-air" periodically for a Camden County station. I dont think he especially hung out with the same group of people the brother in question did.

Which i believe were likely of the worst local crowd, along with the fact i personally recall the one brother i knew mentioning his older brother as a pretty volatile and dangerous individual that had in fact served some time in the state they were originally from for what either has to be the heaviest assault charge able to be applied, or attempted murder.

I think this older brother had a sizeable rap sheet aside from this, so kinda curious he wasnt still incarcerated for one thing or another. As to Rush and Chaney, i somewhat knew the latter just because he was im school with us for a couple of years back around that time. Im not precisely sure but fairly sure that he never made it past the 7th grade level academically and so was in that grade at the time of the murder even though he was close to turning 16. I spoke to him a few times in school or heard him talk. While i was too young to have much frame of reference on alot of worldly stuff, i do remember getting the impression that the family had lived in multiple places that were quite spread out geographically and that he had a familiarity with street nicknames for hard drugs etc. I think his older brother (Chaney) had done pretty extensive time already. I remember seeing that guy in the doorway of the place they lived when the bus would drop Rush and his cousins i believe, off or pick them up.

I dont know why or how they even ended up in our local vicinity to begin with. The whole group just showed up one year. I dont think they were related to anybody else in the area, which was normally how it would be when people would move to Macks Creek. Could be wrong but i cant recall a single thing pertaining to a connection to the area thru anybody at any point back then or afterward.

It strikes me that could be a good sized "pool" of possible 3rd persons in the Darby incident among the locals at the time. There were multiple pretty sketchy looking types that lived around town right near where these guys did, and i get the impression there was a steady and frequent amount of consorting. Sort of the local hardcore partier/misfit demographic. Maybe the Cheevers guy is the likeliest suspect, but hard to say.

I wonder too on the Hammond case and the Kenney one if there isnt a connection. Those MOs seem awfully damn similar. The Springfield 3 seems much different.

As a longtime resident of western Camden County, i recall this one all too well. Glad to see a few people are correcting this "Marshall brothers" thing. I dont recall there ever even being a family or any individuals with that last name in the area at that time, or any other time, so that was fairly annoying. I do believe those stating that it was a guy with that first name and the last name of Cheevers mentioned as possibly involved. I dont think i ever met the guy, but i have known other members of that family and i think its safe to say that he is the anomaly among that group. Im not sure how many kids that family had altogether, being they are from another state originally, but i only knew of one brother there locally, who i think may have actually worked in radio "on-air" periodically for a Camden County station. I dont think he especially hung out with the same group of people the brother in question did.

Which i believe were likely of the worst local crowd, along with the fact i personally recall the one brother i knew mentioning his older brother as a pretty volatile and dangerous individual that had in fact served some time in the state they were originally from for what either has to be the heaviest assault charge able to be applied, or attempted murder.

I think this older brother had a sizeable rap sheet aside from this, so kinda curious he wasnt still incarcerated for one thing or another. As to Rush and Chaney, i somewhat knew the latter just because he was im school with us for a couple of years back around that time. Im not precisely sure but fairly sure that he never made it past the 7th grade level academically and so was in that grade at the time of the murder even though he was close to turning 16. I spoke to him a few times in school or heard him talk. While i was too young to have much frame of reference on alot of worldly stuff, i do remember getting the impression that the family had lived in multiple places that were quite spread out geographically and that he had a familiarity with street nicknames for hard drugs etc. I think his older brother (Chaney) had done pretty extensive time already. I remember seeing that guy in the doorway of the place they lived when the bus would drop Rush and his cousins i believe, off or pick them up.

I dont know why or how they even ended up in our local vicinity to begin with. The whole group just showed up one year. I dont think they were related to anybody else in the area, which was normally how it would be when people would move to Macks Creek. Could be wrong but i cant recall a single thing pertaining to a connection to the area thru anybody at any point back then or afterward.

It strikes me that could be a good sized "pool" of possible 3rd persons in the Darby incident among the locals at the time. There were multiple pretty sketchy looking types that lived around town right near where these guys did, and i get the impression there was a steady and frequent amount of consorting. Sort of the local hardcore partier/misfit demographic. Maybe the Cheevers guy is the likeliest suspect, but hard to say.

I wonder too on the Hammond case and the Kenney one if there isnt a connection. Those MOs seem awfully damn similar. The Springfield 3 seems much different.

Have you seen Jesse Rush's confession to his "Jail House Lawyer" (A Guy posing as such, that was really a snitch for the cops), in which he says, "If they knew all the things we did, they'd fry us for sure". I think these guys are good for more than what they were caught for. I'm convinced, based on his statement, that they killed others, but just didn't get caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie