Actress Bea Arthur, Star of TV's Golden Girls, Dies at 86

SuziQ

Former Member
Reaction score
A family spokesman for Bea Arthur says the star of TV's "Maude" and "The Golden Girls" has died.
Spokesman Dan Watt says the 86-year-old Arthur died at home early Saturday. He says Arthur had cancer, but he declined to give further details. (more at link)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517920,00.html

RIP Bea~ Thanks for the tons of laughs and the years of enjoying your hard work.

What a class act. RIP, Bea, and thanks for the laughs...

I first became a fan of Miss Arthur listening to the original cast album of Jerry Herman's Mame.

That must have been in 1966 and I can honestly say she never disappointed me in the decades that followed.

I loved 'The Golden Girls'!

My mother will be 86 yrs. old in September and is in Assisted Living with her friends through her own preference. We talk for almost an hour on the phone every day and I often take her food that is her favorite. We will laugh and joke and I say, "Shady Pines, Ma, Shady Pines"! She loves to watch the reruns of the show. She plays bingo with her friends there and we got her a laptop and attached a small mouse to it so she can still play Pogo!

My mother reminds me of Bea Arthur. Ms. Arthur lived a long life and gave us many laughs and excellent entertainment. My sympathy is with Ms. Arthurs family.

How sad! She was a great actress. I loved her as Maude- what a feminist!

RIP Maude you have always been one of my favorites!

What a wonderful talent/person she was!! Thank you for more laughter then I can count. I've always felt laughter was indeed the best medicine and you certainly made me feel better!!!!!!!

I remember watching her as Maude when I was young. I couldn't appreciate what a break-through show that was for feminism at that time but I have recently watched reruns and certainly appreciate her contribution to the cause of women's rights in the 70s. I loved Golden Girls as well. What a great woman and actress. Thanks Bea!

This makes me so sad! I loved her and I love The Golden Girls!

Thanks for the memories Bea, you will always have a special spot in my heart!
What a talent she was :)

VB

The news of Bea Arthur's death has made me so sad. I feel as if a favorite aunt has died.
She was a wonderful actress, a top-notch comedian, she had a great, distinctive voice, and was such a solid 'presence', whether she was on the stage or on my t.v. screen.
She was right up there with Lucille Ball in my opinion- and believe me, that says a lot, because I love Lucy.
Thank you Ms. Arthur, for the laughs, but I thank you even more for being a 'Friend'. :blowkiss:
That Golden Girl will sure be missed.

How sad, I loved her in Golden Girls.

Just wondering something. Is any of the remaining golden girls going to attend this funeral? None of them went to Estelle Getty's (played Bea's mom on the show). I thought that was the saddest thing.

God bless you Bea, ty for the memories & laughter. I enjoyed many shows watching with my g'ma.

aww i really loved her character on maude and the golden girls

RIP Bea Arthur.

"And then there's Maude."

"Arthur!"

Sadly showing my age.

aww i really loved her character on maude and the golden girls

RIP Bea, You will be missed.

I watched a roast and a comic did a ugly, tasteless joke at Bea's expense. It was funny though. I would not repeat it ever. Bea was in the audience and she was so classy, she went right along with it. What a woman.

All of her roles were great.:):) Thanks for the laughs Bea.

Always
Gozgals

Aww. R.I.P, Bea, thanks for all the laughs and fond memories.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back