Neighbors Go To War Over 4 y/o Boy

I wish we could hear the rest of the story........ I think this only gives one side. Something upset these neighbors.

It sounded like it all began when his father complained about another boy teasing his son. We all know children can be very cruel, especially to someone who is "different" The neighbors involved Imo had plenty of opportunity to bring their case if there was in deed any real problem, since they did not, then I have to believe they were blowing hot air. Some even went so far as to call this mans job to cause problems for him there.

VB

I wish we could hear the rest of the story........ I think this only gives one side. Something upset these neighbors.

I agree. I'd like to hear the neighbor's side of the story as well. I suspect that the reason the neighbors refused to talk was that they were vilified as 'monsters' once the media got hold of the story.

I don't agree that calling the father's employer to complain was the right thing to do, but there's more behind this story than what we're hearing just from the family.

And the fact the complaints were not pursued by the court, does not mean that the neighbors' complaints were unjustified. It just means that it's now politically incorrect to suggest that behavioral problems impact anyone but the immediate family.

If the judge looked at all the evidence, threw it out, CPS said it was unsubstantiated, and the policeman didn't write a report, sounds like it was the neighbors causing problems.

We once lived next to a horrible, horrible woman who apparently got angry that my dog chased her cat. She threatened my small children that she would kill our dog if she ever saw it out and also called my husband's place of employment to say nasty things about us. It took me a couple of days to even figure out who she was (I had met her when we moved in and said "hello" to her daily, but had no idea who would do something so awful). Fortunately my husband's employer wrote her off as a nut case. I called her and confronted her and she was very rude and abrasive over the phone, cursing and calling me names. I STILL had no idea why she was so angry!

Her husband later called me and apologized and explained that she was upset over the incident with the dog chasing her cat (the cat was in OUR yard!)

I later found out this woman taught preschool at a local church! It was all I could do not to call HER employer and reciprocate.....

I agree that there are at least two sides to every story, but it definitely sounds like these neighbors have "issues" if the officer who responded refused to file a report, the judge threw out the case, and the neighbors have been ordered to pay the family's court costs. That doesn't happen very often, even in the most abusive nuisance lawsuits.

To say that a little boy's autistic behavior translates to a parent being on drugs is just sheer stupidity. And why would they think he had access to a gun? This man served his country and was issued this one gun for his job. He's not some militia member arming his whole family and storing canned goods for the end days, for Pete's sake! (not to judge people, but I could understand being intimidated by that...just for example.)

If the neighbors have another side, they should tell it to someone b/c right now they just look ignorant and hateful.

I think this is a bunch of crappola. Those 3 women thought they'd gang up on that family because the father was sticking up for his autistic son it sounds like.

Oh my, how dare they stand up for their kid? He's 4, should he do it himself? I did the same thing when a bully 11, was relentless with my 6 yr old son for 1 + years. Parents could care less and told me to just shut up and toughen up my kid.

Mother cried foul when I video'd her kid for a few days to get proof and take it to authorities. Like what I did was horrific but what her kid did was completely acceptable.

I feel for the family. Thinking it was the 3 women that made it the story it's become.

Sometimes you just get nightmare neighbors! Too sad.

I hope it all gets straightened out so that the family can live peacefully and the little boy can ride his bike all day long.

Salem

As far as I can tell the neighbors are the ones with the problems. I had neighbors like this once. They called the police on my ex-husband and I several times saying that my car was parked in the same spot for more than 24 hours. They also called and said they suspected we were somehow involved with drugs. Their reasoning was that we were too young to have an expensive car so we must be doing something illegal. At any rate the police became involved and the neighbors were told to stop making false complaints. It turns out that my windchimes were what bothered them initially so they just decided to make my life hell.

Sometimes you just get nightmare neighbors!

Salem

Yes, sometimes you do get nightmare neighbors. I know your original post was intended to suggest that it's the people who complained who are the 'nightmare neighbors'.

I've sat on my fingers as long as I can though. My initial response was to not post anymore to this thread because it's clear that most of you feel that the neighbors are in the wrong here.

There is something intimidating about this forum. I've mostly just read here since I registered, but the few times I have posted, it seems I go against the majority opinions expressed here.

I've found that going against the majority isn't welcomed here, but in this instance I have to say that I have firsthand experience with situations like this.

Autism, even in four year olds is not necessarily a 'benign' and
'harmless' behavioral problem. The family stated (I'm paraphrasing here): The neighbors knew that he had tantrums, but he isn't violent'.

I'm just including a couple of links to illustrate that autism can lead to violent behavior, and in this case...death.

Take it for what you think it's worth.

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2009/03/26/bauer_autism/index.html

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/03/ksu_prof_gertrude_trudy_steuer.html

As I mentioned, this is a case that is close to home for me since I knew the victim.

I'm sure I'll be vilified for posting this information but I think it's important for people to understand how potentially dangerous some conditions are.

I agree that there are at least two sides to every story, but it definitely sounds like these neighbors have "issues" if the officer who responded refused to file a report, the judge threw out the case, and the neighbors have been ordered to pay the family's court costs. That doesn't happen very often, even in the most abusive nuisance lawsuits.

To say that a little boy's autistic behavior translates to a parent being on drugs is just sheer stupidity. And why would they think he had access to a gun? This man served his country and was issued this one gun for his job. He's not some militia member arming his whole family and storing canned goods for the end days, for Pete's sake! (not to judge people, but I could understand being intimidated by that...just for example.)

If the neighbors have another side, they should tell it to someone b/c right now they just look ignorant and hateful.

Great post, angel. I mean - I really would LIKE to hear what these neighbors have to say, but all the stuff we know sure makes them look like yahoos.

It's just an odd story. Maybe it's the whole mob mentality thing where people en masse act in reprehensible ways that they never would if left to their own solo devices.

No one should be run off from their home and not everyone has the option, but if I had neighbors like this I think I'd be looking hard for a new place to live.

Wychty,
First of all, welcome to WS.

I have a grandson with autism, specifically Asperger's syndrome.

No, we have not heard the "rest of the story," but there is a vast difference between a 4 y.o. with tantrums and a violent 18 y.o. I also read the articles when they appeared in the Plain Dealer about the case you referenced.

It would be helpful to the discussion to hear more details about the situation that is the topic of this thread. I know that there are people who have no understanding of autism in any of its forms and that may or may not be part of the problem with this neighborhood. I hope we are able to learn more information, as that may change this discussion to a great degree. From what we have been provided, it sounds as though the neighbors are overreacting, but there may well be a lot more to this story.

Yes, sometimes you do get nightmare neighbors. I know your original post was intended to suggest that it's the people who complained who are the 'nightmare neighbors'.

I've sat on my fingers as long as I can though. My initial response was to not post anymore to this thread because it's clear that most of you feel that the neighbors are in the wrong here.

There is something intimidating about this forum. I've mostly just read here since I registered, but the few times I have posted, it seems I go against the majority opinions expressed here.

I've found that going against the majority isn't welcomed here, but in this instance I have to say that I have firsthand experience with situations like this.

Autism, even in four year olds is not necessarily a 'benign' and
'harmless' behavioral problem. The family stated (I'm paraphrasing here): The neighbors knew that he had tantrums, but he isn't violent'.

I'm just including a couple of links to illustrate that autism can lead to violent behavior, and in this case...death.

Take it for what you think it's worth.

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2009/03/26/bauer_autism/index.html

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/03/ksu_prof_gertrude_trudy_steuer.html

As I mentioned, this is a case that is close to home for me since I knew the victim.

I'm sure I'll be vilified for posting this information but I think it's important for people to understand how potentially dangerous some conditions are.

Welcome, Wytchy! As another poster who sometimes does not hold the opinion of the majority here at WS, please let me tell you that my odd-man-out posts are always kindly and respectfully received - as long as they are kindly and respectfully delivered. So, I hope we will hear more from you - our rich and varied opinions here are what makes things so interesting.

Regarding the case at hand, I would love it if you have more information about the other side of things. I think quite a few posters to this thread have expressed a desire to hear the other side of the story. Without it, we are understandably left with a view of these neighbors as bad eggs.

The names Sarah, Danielle, and Kelly says it all to me. A gaggle of snooty socker moms who were led by Sarah to get revenge for her probably nerdy husband getting chewed out, lol. Sounds like the little autistic boy's family gave out way too much information about their lives and family business when they moved in to this nosey bunch. What those three neighbors were doing to the family could be considered group stalking, especially calling the employer. If they actually felt the boy was in danger they should have just called CPS. It's crazy to try and get people to not step out of their driveway or off their own lawn.

What do the names have to do with it? What's wrong with the names Sarah, Kelly and Danielle?

It's hard to tell since the neighbors aren't talking, but since every agency that has become involved has declined to do anything, it makes me think the problem does lie with the neighbors.

The fact that they ran and hid when approached by the media, tells me they are absolute cowards.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back