MO - Kevin Madison, 45, shot to death, Exeter, 11 Dec 2005

snipped from article posted above

Barry County Prosecutor Johnnie Cox says 48-year-old Adella Fae Patton was found guilty of killing her former boyfriend, Kevin l. Madison, in December of 2005 during a fight over deer meat and another woman.

I am stumped as to why she was out on bail after being convicted of murder. I didn't see the article say what state this happened in.

ETA: DUH, nevermind, it says Missouri!

I was wondering the same thing about being convicted and then getting to go home...but I can offer this much: Where I live, after a conviction, a person notifies the court right after conviction that they will be filing an appeal. Then the judge can set an appeal bond. If this is posted, the person is released on bond. Now, I don't know the laws where this woman lived, but it's possible it could be similar. 2nd degree murder might qualify for an appeal bond, but I don't believe any kind of 1st degree murder qualifies for appeal bond at all.
At any rate, this woman sentenced herself I guess. Sad.

The judge may have granted bail if he thought there was a good chance of her winning an appeal. Which, if you read the story, it's kind of surprising she was convicted of murder 2.

Very sad all around.

The judge may have granted bail if he thought there was a good chance of her winning an appeal. Which, if you read the story, it's kind of surprising she was convicted of murder 2.

Very sad all around.

Agreed - and you might be right about the Judge letting her out on bail based on her appeal chances. That is fairly rare but I have heard of it happening before.

Thanks everyone who posted about appeal bonds. I certainly have never heard of it. I guess it wouldn't apply to DP cases? Could you imagine Scott Peterson, for example, getting to go home?

Sorry that must have sounded dumb--I guess it's for 2nd degree convictions or less.

Am I missing something at the link?

A Monett woman convicted of second-degree murder committed suicide Friday before she could be sentenced.

Barry County authorities say 47-year-old Adella Fae Patton died after taking an overdose of medication at her home.

Patton was out on bond and awaiting sentencing after being found guilty Thursday in Barry County Circuit Court of second-degree murder and armed criminal action.

During the trial, Patton testified that she shot and killed 45-year-old Kevin L. Madison of rural Exeter in self-defense. He died in December 2005.
Coroner Jim Fohn confirmed Patton's death was a suicide and said she left behind notes indicating she could not serve time in prison.

Patton wasn't waiting to be sentenced; the penalty phase (where jurors come up with a recommended sentence) was to get underway on Friday because jurors came back with the verdict about 8:45 p.m. Thursday night after deliberating for several hours so the judge let them go home.

When jurors arrived at the courthouse on Friday the were sent home because Patton had killed herself.

No, Kathee, you didnt miss it. I did. Sorry. I totally didnt see the part you had in red. I really do read the articles (really i do!), but it is just do darned nice outiside today (and not raining for a change!) and I just took a break from yard work to read a minute, that I just glossed over it. I guess the Spingfield paper just had an "easier" version.

It's okay. I thought I had missed something.....when I talked to the prosecutor I really felt for him and everyone in the case! No matter what, she had a family too.

He told me, "this is a sad case all the way around where there are no winners."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back