J.A.B. & Florida Board's Response (full text)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capri

Reaction score
More complete details from the Fla. Board of Examiners, regarding J.A.B.:

http://vlex.com/vid/florida-board-bar-examiners-re-j-b-20848525

I thought it deserved a thread of it's own, as it's very telling in the boards assesment of "J.A.B.", and his lack of respect for his child, his ex-wife, and the courts.

Mods feel free to move or delete if needed.

I think it's unfair to bring up JB's personal life in a career issue. Firstly, the child support system is very biased towards men. Alot of men pay cash for their kids and the system does not take that into consideration and alot of men pay child support and the spouse will not let them see the children.

Secondly, what does filing a pesonal bankruptcy and falling behind on your student loans have to do with being an attorney?

Our 42nd president did his job quite well although he received bj's from his intern.

I think it's unfair to bring up JB's personal life in a career issue. Firstly, the child support system is very biased towards men. Alot of men pay cash for their kids and the system does not take that into consideration and alot of men pay child support and the spouse will not let them see the children.

Secondly, what does filing a pesonal bankruptcy and falling behind on your student loans have to do with being an attorney?

Our 42nd president did his job quite well although he received bj's from his intern.

While I understand your P.O.V, I think the relevance is his failure to comply with court orders and the finding that he was untruthful or less than candid in his official hearing. These are serious findings for someone who was seeking to be (then) and is now an officer of the court.

While I understand your P.O.V, I think the relevance is his failure to comply with court orders and the finding that he was untruthful or less than candid in his official hearing. These are serious findings for someone who was seeking to (then) and is now an officer of the court.
Thank you. You took the words right out of my fingers.

While I understand your P.O.V, I think the relevance is his failure to comply with court orders and the finding that he was untruthful or less than candid in his official hearing. These are serious findings for someone who was seeking to (then) and is now an officer of the court.

To me the relevance is whether his character is such that he is likely to, for example, give improper instructions to a P.I. about what to do if he finds a body.

Examination of a prospective lawyer's "personal life" is a normal part of the process of getting admitted. In Arizona and I think in most states, you are supposed to show that you have "good moral character" in order to get admitted. I personally tossed out my certificate of "good moral character" when we started seriously debating whether to let a confessed double murderer have a law license, but it sounds like Florida's State Bar would prefer that you not only refrain from murdering people but also act in a generally honorable way toward your family and the community.

Of course everybody's entitled to their own opinion. I do think the board's determination is significant, though b/c of the bolded part below.

<<We agree with the Board's recommendation and find that the proven instances of J.A.B.'s misconduct are sufficient in the aggregate to support denial of admission to the bar at this time. J.A.B.'s violation of the child support order, not only by failing to fully pay the child support owed but also by failing to obtain the required insurance coverage, shows a lack of respect for the rights of his daughter, the rights of his ex- wife, and a further lack of respect for the law and for the court order itself. Cf. Florida Bd. of Bar Examiners re M.A.R., 755 So. 2d 89 (Fla. 2000); Florida Bd. of Bar Examiners re E.R.M., 630 So. 2d 1046 (Fla. 1994).

To me the relevance is whether his character is such that he is likely to, for example, give improper instructions to a P.I. about what to do if he finds a body.

Examination of a prospective lawyer's "personal life" is a normal part of the process of getting admitted. In Arizona and I think in most states, you are supposed to show that you have "good moral character" in order to get admitted. I personally tossed out my certificate of "good moral character" when we started seriously debating whether to let a confessed double murderer have a law license, but it sounds like Florida's State Bar would prefer that you not only refrain from murdering people but also act in a generally honorable way toward your family and the community.

I agree. I think in general the findings of the board showed that he had a disregard for the law and the authority of the court.

Wow, Now we know why he thought Casey stealing from Amy was a pointless charge and how little respect he truly has for the legal system.
I guess all of the "compelling reasons" he will show for Casey failing to report her daughter missing are similar to his " compelling" reasons for not paying child support, writing worthless checks, assault and defaulting on bills!
These people on this case are truly a bunch of Lunatics!

Of course everybody's entitled to their own opinion. I do think the board's determination is significant, though b/c of the bolded part below.

<<We agree with the Board's recommendation and find that the proven instances of J.A.B.'s misconduct are sufficient in the aggregate to support denial of admission to the bar at this time. J.A.B.'s violation of the child support order, not only by failing to fully pay the child support owed but also by failing to obtain the required insurance coverage, shows a lack of respect for the rights of his daughter, the rights of his ex- wife, and a further lack of respect for the law and for the court order itself. Cf. Florida Bd. of Bar Examiners re M.A.R., 755 So. 2d 89 (Fla. 2000); Florida Bd. of Bar Examiners re E.R.M., 630 So. 2d 1046 (Fla. 1994).

That little quote says it all .. :furious:

Wow, Now we know why he thought Casey stealing from Amy was a pointless charge and how little respect he truly has for the legal system.
I guess all of the "compelling reasons" he will show for Casey failing to report her daughter missing are similar to his " compelling" reasons for not paying child support, writing worthless checks, assault and defaulting on bills!
These people on this case are truly a bunch of Lunatics!

They sure are :loser:

If you are not repulsed by what Clinton did.... I don't think I will convince you. For your edification, his trustworthiness and respect for the law are bare minimum requirements, to be an Officer of the Court which entails doing much on your honor. You have a poor understanding of the seriousness of paying child support and meeting your court ordered responsibilities. One doesn't get to claim they paid in cash, with no documentation. He knew to do it correctly and have proof. If you research the statistics, you will find that you are way off base here. Someone not being paid their child support does not allow them by law to refuse visitation, and they can be held in contempt of court for doing so. Believe me Baez understands all of these matters well. If you cannot run your own check book, how are you going to run a defense of someone whose freedom is on the line? It is ludicrous, of course he should have been denied.

When a lawyer's ethics can be suspect, it is easier for people to later claim that he was paid secretly in a media deal (and had motive to not plea the case out, but let it go to a protracted trial), and so many other things. The lawyer is supposed to be the epitome of law and order and lead a life that is beyond reproach. PS. Divorces are public record, filing a bankruptcy is public, and certainly defaulting on student loans in public. He absolutely knew the day he entered college that everything he did from that day forward would remain with him, and he would be judged on it by the bar, so this in itself shows a random disregard that is baffling, since it is self sabotage.

This certainly explains to me even more why the SA's office is so concerned about where JB's payments for KC's defense are coming from. Their concern is very well founded, even more so than I previously thought.

capri I really appreciate the chance to read the entire finding...thanks so much for posting.
I do think this situation is similar to LE and other law related individuals in that we hold those people to a higher standard. Or we should anyhow...
I think this Board Reponse proves some of JAB's moral fortitude. I would not want him for my lawyer, but I think that birds of a feather flock together. He has his dream client, and she has her perfect match for an attorney. IMO

Failing to maintain health insurance for his daughter:furious: Writing one worthless check & then 2 more after he was gainfully employed:eek::confused::eek:

"A leopard doesn't change it's spots"

The spouse isn't the ones in charge of that. It's an excuse not to try and do anything about it. If the parent really wants to see the children, and the other parent prevents it, then it's time to get their butts back into court and get it all on paper. The when, the where, the everything.

Visitation isn't allowed to be used as punishment for lack of paying child support either. It's considered a separate issue.

Courts now know that if a parent is allowed to stay bonded (visitation) with the child, they are more likely to continue to care for the child. Help with the raising, pay child support and other extra expenses that come up. Be part of that childs life. So even if a parent falls behind on child support payments, visitations are NOT blocked by the courts.

When a parent says they are not paying child support because they are not allowed to visit, they are using it as an excuse to walk away and blame it on someone else. IT doesn't fly anymore. Time to go back to court and even ask for extra time to make up for what was 'taken'. Maybe have the child move in with them. Now days, if she takes the child an moves out of state, he can make her pay to send him for his visitation during school holidays. He just has to work with the courts and show he reallyl does want to spend time with the child, etc. He has to fight for his children.

And there is no excuse for being $12,000 behind on child support. He should have to pay interest on that money that he owes his ex. I bet he thinks it should go to the child.. but the ex all ready paid the bills that money was suppose to pay. So it's the ex's money 100%

Thank you for that Article.:clap:.It says ALOT..HE is way over his head and I wouldn't trust anything he says or does..it will come back to bite him

That articles speaks volumes..... lack of character an morals

Oh Frenchvixen ITA but JB is no Bill C! Now I am thinking back about all those posts about KC in the office all day long, makes me not dismiss them so easily....oh hey Bj is JB backwards.... I gotta get outta here and do some freakin housework........I am losing it....

While I understand your P.O.V, I think the relevance is his failure to comply with court orders and the finding that he was untruthful or less than candid in his official hearing. These are serious findings for someone who was seeking to be (then) and is now an officer of the court.

Other wise, who would qualify?? Seriously?

Over the last several months of posting here, I have seen a lot of "holier then tho" comments about many things. It has rather shocked me, to tell you the truth. Cause generally, everyone has something that isn't so "holy" in their life. Either their past, present or future.

And what one might consider is 'ok', the other person might consider horrid. The ok/horrid is different depending on the subject. And THAT is a circle that no one wins. So while someone is acting "holier then tho" about something someone did.. someone else is doing it to them. <shrug> It is all rather funny, in a sad way.

The point was that he wasn't straight with them when he filled out his paper work. Not that he wasn't perfect, cause no one is. And considering how 'open' everything is now days, folks need to realize that they can't act 'perfect' and as "high an mighty' towards others so much anymore. Cause everyone lives in a glass house these days.

respectfully snipped...

I think it's unfair to bring up JB's personal life in a career issue. .

I reaspect your right to your opinion but I really do have to disagree. An officer of the court is required to live his personal life in a certain way directly because of the career he has chosen. Mr Baez chose a career that comes with a 'built in' moral standard. Ethics is taught as part of the requirements to passing the Bar. Mr Baez was aware of his choices.

No one with common sense would leave their child in the hands of someone who has already neglected a child. No one without an ulterior motive would leave their finances in the hands of an accountant who has previously committed fraud. No one honest would want their defense handled by an attorny who has been less than forthcoming with the higest rulling body of his profession and who has been considered to have questionable integredy in financial dealings.

If Mr Baez was a trash collector,(used only for example,not meant to offend), I doubt such examples of moral standards would impact his capable performance of his job. However Mr Baez takes great public pride in being a Hispanic lawyer. As a standard bearer for a group of people who share his birth and for a group of people who work at an honourable profession, Mr Baez seems to leave much open to question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken