Dr Pepper artifact may reveal soft drink's origin

Dark Knight

Reaction score
DALLAS – Poking through antiques stores while traveling through the Texas Panhandle, Bill Waters stumbled across a tattered old ledger book filled with formulas.

He bought it for $200, suspecting he he could resell it for five times that. Turns out, his inkling about the book's value was more spot on than he knew. The Tulsa, Okla., man eventually discovered the book came from the Waco, Texas, drugstore where Dr Pepper was invented and includes a recipe titled "D Peppers Pepsin Bitters."

"I began feeling like I had a national treasure," said Waters, 59.

When the 8 1/2-by-15 1/2 inch book of more than 360 pages goes up for auction at Dallas-based Heritage Auction Galleries on May 13, it's expected to sell between $50,000 to $75,000.

"It probably has specks of the original concoction on its pages," he said.

Waters discovered the book, its yellowed pages stained brown on the edges, underneath a wooden medicine bottle crate in a Shamrock antiques store last summer. A couple months after buying it, he took a closer look as he prepared to sell it on eBay.

Much more at link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090504/ap_on_bi_ge/us_dr_pepper_auction

That is so cool. I'm Killeen which is about 1 hour SW of Waco. Dr. Pepper was definitely THE drink when I was growing up (back when it was okay for kids to have a soda)

That is so cool. I'm Killeen which is about 1 hour SW of Waco. Dr. Pepper was definitely THE drink when I was growing up (back when it was okay for kids to have a soda)

Have you ever visited the Dr. Pepper museum in Waco? Kinda neat. I had relatives visit from CA and we toured the museum for the heck of it. I'm not a big Dr. Pepper fan, but if I have to drink it (any Baylor activity is all DP products, LOL), it's gotta be the DIET Dr. Pepper for me.

Okay, I am way too into the Casey case...lol... When I first saw this thread I thought it said "Dr Perper artifact may reveal soft drink's origin."

I thought "what the h3ll!" "When did he go diggin' around in the evidence box!"

Just thought someone might get a kick outta my confusion.

Never went to the museum. I left TX when I was 20 yrs old :( and wasn't the museum type at that time,lol. Someday I will get back there for more than a visit with relatives and will be able to enjoy all things Texas again :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back