Identified! GA - Lookout Mountain, skeletal remains, Apr'09 - Allan Hansen

ThoughtFox

Expecting the Unexpected
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I didn't find this story anywhere when I searched, but please merge this if I'm putting it in the wrong place.

On April 23, 2009, the decayed remains of a male were discovered by a hiker beneath the bluff of Rock City on Lookout Mountain, GA near Chattanooga, TN. Rock City of course is a famous tourist attraction, but the body was found in a rocky wooded area below "Lover's Leap" which is a place to see a scenic view. The FBI was brought in at first because they thought the body might be on federal land, but it was not.

rock_city_body.jpg

Original Story with Video

April 23 said:
The body has been confirmed as a male. The remains have likely been there since late last summer. Mitchell Kingsley, Walker County deputy coroner, said identifying the body will depend heavily on possible dental records. In identifying the body, officials will focus on records of people reported missing in the area. There is no confirmation on the cause of death. Meanwhile, Rock City has been reopened. The body was found at the bottom of the Leap’s cliff, about 100 feet from the cliff’s inside wall, which is outside the area that Rock City visitors would go.

3:40 p.m.: The following information and quotes are from Walker County Sheriff Steve Wilson: The body, a male, appears to have been in the area for 9-15 months. Authorities have completed the retrieval of the skeletal remains. "The remains are in the possession of a forensic anthropologist, who will be taking them back to Atlanta and hopefully we will be able to make an identification."

Then today, May 4, 2009 -

Chattanooga Channel 9 News - Interview with Hiker who Found the Remains

He first thought the remains belonged to an animal but when he looked closer he made a shocking discovery. "So I got to looking at it and there was a leg stuck down in a blue jeans and there was a little bit of a dark meat it dried up on the bones and you could see the tail bone no feet no hands," Layton says. In fact Layton says he found body parts spread all across the woods.

"But first I found a spine and a black hat that said Michigan on it and a white t-shirt and a blue shoe with a bone next to it and the skull was the furthest down the hill it was upside down and had a hole in it's side," Layton says.

Today, for the first time since the discovery, the Walker County Sheriff released a description - a white male between the heights of 5'7 and 6'1 and between ages of thirty and thirty nine. They believe the man's body could have been on the mountain for more than a year.

"The skull completely cleaned like you see on tv like they put it in acid nothing on it," Layton says. . . .The Walker County Sheriff says they have not been able to link this body to any missing persons cases in the tri-state area.

That's not confirmed by the police or FBI about a hole in the skull.

So what we know is that the body has been there since last summer, but is probably not local. There was a Michigan hat. This is a tourist attraction, but the land below is rather wild and not many people walk around there.

Sheriff Steve Wilson
P.O. Box 767
LaFayette, GA 30728
Email: walkersheriff01@aol.com
Phone: 706-638-1909

Thanks for those possibilities. I'm shocked that they seem to have ruled out Ronnie Lee Dawson, since he is from Bradley County TN (one county over) and has the right build. He also seems to have disappeared at the same time they think this man died. Maybe it's just the red hair that ruled him out?

It might also be someone from Alabama, since this is close to where TN, Alabama, and Georgia intersect. Walker County GA is the last county before the Alabama state line.

Jonathon Kerr caught my eye. Height fits in, as well as MI.

pic.php

Allan Wilhelm Hansen

So very sad! My sympathies and prayers to his family and friends...

It might also be someone from Alabama, since this is close to where TN, Alabama, and Georgia intersect. Walker County GA is the last county before the Alabama state line.

Actually, Dade County is the last GA county before Alabama (don't feel bad...the rest of the state of Georgia forgets about us all the time!) :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back