GUILTY WI - Breanna Schneller, 18, murdered in her Wausau home, 2 May 2009

tangledweb

Inactive
Reaction score
Wausau Daily Herald • May 4, 2009

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/article/20090504/WDH0101/905040514/1581/WDH01/%3Cb%3EUpdate+%3C/b%3E+Police++Slaying+details+need+to+be+protected+for+now

Police release few details in death of 18-year-old

Victim was DCE High School senior

Police are calling the death of an 18-year-old D.C. Everest student a homicidal assault, but are declining to release details of her death.

Investigators do not have a motive or a suspect in Breanna Marie Schneller’s death, Wausau Police Chief Jeff Hardel said this morning. She was found dead at about 1:30 p.m., Saturday at 1208 S. 12th Ave. in Wausau.

Hardel said few details of her death, such as how Schneller was killed, are being released because detectives are still questioning people and trying to gather information. Investigators do not want to tip off the murderer to what they know or cause the person to not talk about the death to others.

“There are details that only the murderer is going to know,” Hardel said. “Should we release specific information, that surely could hinder the investigation.”

An autopsy was done Sunday in Madison.

Schneller moved in with her boyfriend, who previously proposed marriage to her, and his family after she turned 18, Hardel said. Schneller’s boyfriend last saw her alive Saturday morning and she was still alive when his brother left Schneller between 9:30 a.m. and 10 a.m., police said. The boyfriend’s brother returned to the apartment at 1:30 p.m. and found Schneller dead.

Schneller’s mother last spoke to her daughter on the phone between 10 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. and had exchanged several text messages, Hardel said. The two worked together at El Mezcal in Rib Mountain, he said.

Jamie Zarazua, a friend of Schneller, described her friend as “outgoing and sweet,” and said she had plans to go to college after she graduated from high school.

Police were at the apartment Sunday afternoon and two investigators examined two vehicles that were wrapped in police tape. Onlookers also walked around the grounds to peek at the scene while others drove along 12th Avenue and glanced out their windows to see the apartment.

Chandra Witter, the apartments’ property manager, sent a letter to each tenant, informing them of counseling services that are available if they need them. She also expressed “deep sorrow” about the incident. She could not be reached Sunday for additional comment.

“My heart goes out to the family and friends of the victim, but my heart also goes out to you, the neighbor,” Witter said in the letter.

Police already have interviewed Schneller’s family and roommates, and have canvassed the area. Police also spoke with two men outside the apartment, who left with police Saturday. The men were not handcuffed.

Police say they believe the incident is isolated and that the community is not in danger.

I have to wonder if the time frames have been confirmed? The estimated time of death just seems so unusual for murder, and in an apartment complex no less. Do we know what the weather was like in Wausau Saturday? If springlike, you have to imagine tons of kids playing on the grounds etc...So a gunshot, or something with a long struggle seems less likely...

It just seems like a bizarre scenario on top being so tragic for Breanna and her loved ones. It'll sure be interesting to see what information comes out, although LE seems like they are going to remain pretty tight lipped in this case.

On a side note, does it appear to anyone else in this article that the brother of the boyfriend is a key player? And perhaps one who has not been cleared?

I just wonder what leads LE to think that this is an isolated incident, is it a case of fatal DV? I know that they have a strategy and all, but it is hard to imagine what could have happened to this young girl with the info released so far. I hope they catch the perpetrator (s) soon.

http://www.waow.com/Global/story.asp?S=10299921&nav=menu1360_2

The fiance's brother saw her last and found her body a couple hours later.

You posted this as I was dilly dallying around with my response amongst other things.:) Thank you! This article answers many of my previous questions, and it seems like LE feels like this was domestic, correct?

Seems like she was a girl with everything going for her, and obviously close with her mother...This is just a sad loss all around.

I have to wonder if the time frames have been confirmed? The estimated time of death just seems so unusual for murder, and in an apartment complex no less. Do we know what the weather was like in Wausau Saturday? If springlike, you have to imagine tons of kids playing on the grounds etc...So a gunshot, or something with a long struggle seems less likely...

It just seems like a bizarre scenario on top being so tragic for Breanna and her loved ones. It'll sure be interesting to see what information comes out, although LE seems like they are going to remain pretty tight lipped in this case.

On a side note, does it appear to anyone else in this article that the brother of the boyfriend is a key player? And perhaps one who has not been cleared?

I just wonder what leads LE to think that this is an isolated incident, is it a case of fatal DV? I know that they have a strategy and all, but it is hard to imagine what could have happened to this young girl with the info released so far. I hope they catch the perpetrator (s) soon.

According to weather.com, the weather in Wausau was around 60 degrees and windy on Saturday, with no rain. I agree- there would probably be a lot of people outside/kids playing/etc. and the way it looks like the apartment complex is designed, someone would've heard something.

(bolding by me)
I agree, and it sounds like he might be a suspect.

Breanna may have known her killer: http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/article/20090506/WDH0101/905060623/1981

The 18-year-old D.C. Everest High School senior might have known her killer, who appears to have been familiar with the apartment Schneller shared with her fiance and his brother, Hardel said. In addition, evidence at the scene suggests she was not attacked by a stranger, Hardel said, though he declined to elaborate.

Police say Schneller suffered multiple injuries in what they are calling a homicidal assault in the bedroom. She was not sexually assaulted, Hardel said, but rape has not been ruled out as a motive.

Sebastian Ramirez, 22, last saw her alive Saturday morning, and she still was alive when Hugo Ramirez left Schneller between 9:30 a.m. and 10 a.m., according to police. Both left to work at El Tequila Salsa, a Mexican restaurant in Rib Mountain, police said. Hugo Ramirez returned to the apartment at 1:30 p.m. and found Schneller dead.

"All I'll say is we have not ruled them out 100 percent," Hardel said of the brothers. "We are following up on their alibis."

Sounds to me like police are really looking at her fiance and his brother.

:rose: Praying for justice for Breanna

Police say Schneller suffered multiple injuries in what they are calling a homicidal assault in the bedroom. She was not sexually assaulted, Hardel said, but rape has not been ruled out as a motive.

:rose: Praying for justice for Breanna

I know that rapes can occur with a boyfriend on a girlfriend, but it seems more likely that if they are releasing this information that they haven't ruled out rape as a motive, then suspicion lies more with the brother or acquaintance, yes? Or do you guys think that they would say this to have the fiancée let down his guard?
Either way how terrible for Breanna to have trusted someone enough to have let them into her young life, and then have them take it. I can even imagine the horror of this in her last moments. I really do hope they have a strong idea of who the culprit is and this person(s) has to pay the consequences.

I know that rapes can occur with a boyfriend on a girlfriend, but it seems more likely that if they are releasing this information that they haven't ruled out rape as a motive, then suspicion lies more with the brother or acquaintance, yes? Or do you guys think that they would say this to have the fiancée let down his guard?

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/article/20090507/WDH0101/905070641/1581/WDH01/Police+await+DNA+results+from+scene+of+Breanna+Schneller+s+death

The Wausau Police Department has collected DNA samples from three Wausau men that will be sent to the state Crime Lab for comparison with what they suspect is DNA left at the scene by Breanna Schneller's killer.

Police Chief Jeff Hardel said Wednesday the samples came from Schneller's fiance, Sebastian Ramirez, 22; Ramirez's brother, Hugo, 19; and an acquaintance of theirs whom he declined to identify.

Hardel would not describe the source of the DNA samples retrieved from the South 12th Avenue apartment that Schneller shared with the Ramirez brothers. Comparing the submitted samples with the samples from the scene could allow police either to eliminate people from suspicion or focus their investigation on a suspect.

Detectives continue to review statements given by friends, relatives and co-workers, interview neighbors and track down others with whom they want to speak, Hardel said.

Schneller, 18, was found dead Saturday morning in the bedroom of her apartment, and police have said they suspect her killer knew her and was familiar with the home. Hardel has refused to say how she died, but has said she was not shot to death and was not sexually assaulted.

"Sebastian and Hugo have been very cooperative," Hardel said. "Both are very upset and very emotional."

Thanks for the link TangledWeb. After reading the article I am a bit perplexed. Previous statements about rape being a possible motive seem to imply that the DNA sample might be semen, but with no sexual assault, well maybe not? So far all the statements from the police imply somebody very close to Breanna as her killer, yet the two people that fit that bill in this case have been said to have been fully cooperating...What do you guys think, who else might fit as a suspect given the details released so far? Look forward to hearing all your opinions.

wow i live mabey an hour from there ..poor young lady how sad and heartbreaking for her and her family

This reminds me a little bit of the girl who was murdered in her house in Madison, WI - Brittany Zimmerman.

the timeline is curious. either a random perp was very lucky and happened in during the window where no one else is home or he had been staking it out. of course the more likely scenarios include the fiancee or brother, or maybe someone else from the apartment complex who either knows their schedules or could easily see when everyone was gone.

I hope for the fiancee's sake that his brother wasn't involved. How terrible to lose your fiancee, and know that your brother was involved.

Who knows though, the fiancee could even be involved. Interesting case.

This reminds me a little bit of the girl who was murdered in her house in Madison, WI - Brittany Zimmerman.

Exactly, gaia227. My radar went off right away on that. Lot's of other coinkydinks too.

I have been in a situation such as Breanna's with her boyfriend and his brother. It was years ago, when I was much younger and I know now, much more foolish.
My boyfriend shared an apartment with his younger brother. We began spending all of our time together, but this did not sit well with little brother. He was actually very jealous of the time his brother spent with me. I was not comfortable around him at all. Little bro had trouble keeping a job, and could no longer keep up his share of the rent. He was asked to move out.
One day after work, I was at the apartment fixing dinner, boyfriend would be home later. Little bro, who still had some of his belongings in the second bedroom, came by to get his things. I answered the door, but did not invite him in, and asked him to come back later when boyfriend would be there. (Little bro had argued with his brother when asked to move out, and clearly stated that he considered it my fault he could not stay.)
Little Bro cursed at me and refused to leave. I shut the door and locked it. Little did I know, he still had a key. He used it to unlock the door and came in swinging his fist straight at my jaw. Knocked me to the ground with a punch which broke my jaw in two places.

I think suspicions regarding the brother's story in this case are well founded. I would not trust Breanna's boyfriend to be totally upfront with police about his brother's relationship with Breanna. In my opinion, he will defend his brother even if he knows the brother had ill will or hostility toward Breanna.

Susan

Thanks for the link TangledWeb. After reading the article I am a bit perplexed. Previous statements about rape being a possible motive seem to imply that the DNA sample might be semen, but with no sexual assault, well maybe not? So far all the statements from the police imply somebody very close to Breanna as her killer, yet the two people that fit that bill in this case have been said to have been fully cooperating...What do you guys think, who else might fit as a suspect given the details released so far? Look forward to hearing all your opinions.

In a homicidal assault both the victim and perp were obviously pretty close to each other. She could have scratched him and had skin under her nails. He could hae been cut and bled. If she wasn't shot, that only leaves strangulation, stabbing or bludgeoning.

We also don't know if the perp was a man. It could of been a former girlfriend of the fiance or a former boyfriend of the victim. Since the police chief is convinced there is no danger to the community then maybe it's a crime of passion where someone got very angry with the victim for personal reasons. It could be racial too.

As far as the perp being familiar with the apartment could mean someone who lived there or did maintenance there. If the floor plan of all the other units in the building are the same as this one, it could be a neighbor.

Lots of possibilities.

BTW, both the boyfriend and his brother were at the memorial service with the victim's parents. I also see the Schneller's lived in Marshfield, WI at one time.

In a homicidal assault both the victim and perp were obviously pretty close to each other. She could have scratched him and had skin under her nails. He could hae been cut and bled. If she wasn't shot, that only leaves strangulation, stabbing or bludgeoning.

Thank you for your response. When I said close, I actually meant in relationship not proximity to the perp! However, your theories are very interesting. In addition, it seems unlikely the victim's family would allow people that they think may have killed their loved one to the memorial service, however it has happened before. Hopefully whatever the case, police will make an arrest soon and the judicial process can begin.

More about Breanna: http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/article/20090509/WDH0101/905090460/1981

Loved ones on Friday shared their stories about a normal teenage girl who loved to shop, listen to music and dance

Hugo Ramirez read a poem he wrote and broke down in tears while contemplating the loss of the girl he already considered a sister. "You are the one who brought life to our lives," he said.

Schneller was on pace to graduate in May, and friends said she wanted to go to college, with dreams of one day opening a restaurant with Sebastian Ramirez.

She was excited for a July trip to Tennessee to present a nationally recognized project she did on children for the career and technical student organization Family, Career and Community Leaders of America.

This is so sad :( I really hope and pray that her family and friends get closure and that Breanna gets the justice that she deserves.

I live about a mile from where the crime occurred and have heard some really horrible things about the nature of the crime and condition of the body when she was found. I knew Breanna, she was a hostess as our favorite restaurant in town so I spoke to her in passing almost weekly. I just can't believe that someone would do this to her, just awful. I can see why they are being tight lipped about the details of the crime, hopefully the police will make an arrest soon.

I live about a mile from where the crime occurred and have heard some really horrible things about the nature of the crime and condition of the body when she was found. I knew Breanna, she was a hostess as our favorite restaurant in town so I spoke to her in passing almost weekly. I just can't believe that someone would do this to her, just awful. I can see why they are being tight lipped about the details of the crime, hopefully the police will make an arrest soon.

hijump1- Welcome to Websleuths. Thanks for posting. It's always nice to have locals post. Breannas death is extremely sad :( I agree with you..I really hope that police make an arrest soon.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991
Back