AZ AZ - Mikelle Biggs, 11, Mesa, 2 Jan 1999

momtective

Lifetime WS Non-Mod
Reaction score

Mikelle Biggs, 11, was alone for less than two minutes when she vanished.
Darien and Tracy Biggs' hunt for their daughter leads them to an Arizona prison.

It was dusk on Jan. 2, 1999, when Mikelle and her younger sister Kimber -- lured outside by the sound of an ice cream truck -- waited patiently at a Mesa, Ariz., street corner to buy treats. Kimber got cold and walked home, just four houses away, to get her jacket. When she returned, Mikelle was gone.

<MOD NOTE: Several original links throughout the thread were broken and have been edited to include the current link (when available) and images as of October 25, 2022>

Last edited by a moderator:
I was ready to go to bed at 9PM tonight when I was drawn into watching this program on Mikelle.

It never said WHO found the bike with the wheels still spinning. HEY how long do tires spin, when stopped suddenly. WHO found IT?

Also the program stated that the police research revealed that there had been no ICE CREAM wagon/vehicles 'anywhere near' that area at THE time she vanished.

This was the first exposure I had to the case tonight. A great number of sexual perps living in the near area as well at that time.

Program stated that LE had had nearly 10,000 leads/tips in the past 10 years since she vanished. I suspect that the real kidnapper is within that tip file somewhere. The near neighbor that is serving a life sentence for kicking the womans face in etc. would seem likely. Mikelles mom thinks he did it, after she and Mikelle's father spent an hour and a half talking with him at the prison.

Guess it would violate the prisoner's rights ?huh? to give him a lie detector test. His victim that testified against him, and assured he is now in prison, is certain that HE did Mikelle as well. Wonder IF he has talked with a fellow prisoner about any involvement or?

I suspect that IF the case were fresh as of today, the investigation might have been more thorough. LE focused their attention on the father for a rather long time. He did fail many tests lie detector etc.

The spinning bicycle tire/s have me scratching my head, along with the two scattered ice cream quarters - sudden stop to SPEED, why, what happened to cause the sudden stop? HOW would a perp stop a fast moving bicycle, without damage to the bike or to themselves, bruises etc.??

The bike most likely has clues on IT, but where would they show up on the bike? The bike is carefully packaged up in a huge plastic covering as evidence, LE said they have 800 pieces of evidence, WOW. I would love to get a gander at what they have, tests etc.

I just got through watching the show here on the West Coast. I think the neighbor 2 blocks over did it. The one that tried to rape the neighbor and kicked her face in, but that's just my opinion. Regarding the bicycle tires. There have been SO MANY times I have called my grandson in to eat his Supper and he doesnt listen (while riding his bike) I will just grab him off his bike and let the bike fall where it may. I don't even touch the bike. Just grab him around the waist, lift him up and drag that bad boy into the house to eat his supper!! I bet his wheels are still spinning too! So, I can see that happening...He also throws down his bike to run after the ice cream man and believe me , we have 2 or 3 that come around right about suppertime! So, there could be so many scenarios!! I wish LE would have looked at all this instead of focusing on the Father for so long!

Investifating Agency: If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Mesa Police Dept. 480-644-2211

Type of Abduction: Non-Family Abduction
Date Missing: 1/2/99
Missing from: Mesa, AZ
Date of Birth: 5/31/87
Age at disappearance: 11 years old
Race: Caucasian
Sex: Female
Height: 48
Weight: 65 lbs.
Eyes: Hazel
Hair: Blonde, is growing out a permanent.
Other: Has 2 - 3 small flat brown moles on the left side of her neck.

If you have information concerning this abduction, please contact:
The Mesa (AZ) Police Department (602) 644-2002, or
The Polly Klaas® Foundation (800) 587-4357

I'm a long time reader, but first time poster. The case of Mikelle Diane Biggs hasn't been discussed nearly enough for being such an interesting case. There's very little known besides the story all of us have read a thousand times before. I'm wondering if there's any additional information out there today.

I hope this thread starts a discussion because her case hasn't been talked about nearly enough.

This year marked 11 years since Mikelle Biggs, 11, of Mesa, disappeared in a high-profile case that received national attention.

Mikelle was last seen riding her bicycle near her home on Jan. 2, 1999.

It was a little before 6 p.m. when Mikelle heard the bells of an ice cream truck and asked her mom, Tracy Biggs, for money. Mikelle and her younger sister, Kimber, then 9, went to the corner of El Moro and Toltec to wait for the ice cream truck, according to police.

But Kimber got cold and went back to their home four doors away on El Moro to get a jacket.

A neighbor driving by saw Mikelle standing alone on the corner under the street lamp with her sisters bicycle.

Tracy Biggs sent Kimber back outside to fetch her sister, but Mikelle was gone.

Her bike was discovered a little closer to the house, lying on its side with the wheel still spinning, police said.

Police dogs picked up her scent but lost it within a few feet, leading investigators to believe she was placed into a vehicle and driven away.
But all ice cream truck drivers in the area were cleared in the case, and Mikelle was never found.

She would now be 22 years old.

Certain that Mikelle is dead, the Biggs family buried a white casket on Jan. 2, 2004.

Its logical to think that after cases go on for an extended amount of time, the outcome is not going to be a good one, Lowery said. We dont want to provide false hope, but we dont want to abandon it, either.

Convicted Rapist Kidnap Missing Girl?

By GAIL DEUTSCH
May 14, 2009

Arizona's maximum security prison at Florence was not a place suburban parents Tracy and Darien Biggs ever expected to visit. But their former neighbor, Dee Blalock, was serving a 187-year prison sentence at the facility, and the Biggses were determined to speak to him, believing he had the key to what happened to their eldest daughter, Mikelle.

Mikelle disappeared Jan. 2, 1999, at age 11 while waiting for an ice cream truck on a corner of her Mesa, Ariz., neighborhood. Her bicycle was found with the wheels still spinning and two quarters for ice cream discarded on the ground. There were no witnesses, no body found and little evidence.

If you have information that might help solve the mystery of what happened to Mikelle Biggs, please contact the Arizona Police Department on their website, Mesa Police | Mesa Police Department Home, or by phone (480) 644-2211.

When Mikelle vanished, police immediately ran a check on all the registered sex offenders in the area. They were surprised to discover that dozens of sex offenders were living within a mile radius of the Biggs house in the child-filled neighborhood.
PHOTO
Courtesy Biggs Family/Mesa Police Department

As police searched for any trace of Mikelle, local families launched block-watch meetings to keep an eye on strangers ... and on each other.

"If you're my neighbor, and I see that you're living next to me, and I see something suspicious going on, I guarantee you I'll be calling 911," Blalock told a local newscast at the time.

Blalock appeared to be an outspoken advocate for law and order. He lived about two blocks from the Biggses and was described by neighbors as "friendly" and "personable."

But nearly two years after Mikelle Biggs vanished, the neighborhood got another shock when Blalock was convicted of raping and brutally attacking his neighbor, Susan Quinnett.

"He tried to snap my neck three times," said Quinnett. " He did successfully break it in one place. He put me in a chokehold. ... He choked me until I gave over and fainted."

Quinnett said she had complained to police about Blalock's unwanted advances.

"He was coming up on me. He was drunk. He reeked of beer," she said. "He was putting his hands on me ... in my yard. I called the police. I said, 'The guy is just creeping me out. He's stalking me. ... I've tried to tell his wife.'"

Neighbor Attacked in Her Home

Quinnett did not know that Blalock was more than a local nuisance, but was, in fact, a registered sex offender. He had convictions in three states, but the law at the time did not require the community be notified.

Quinnett said police never followed up on her complaint, and on the night of the attack, he was waiting for her inside her home.

"He was hiding behind the refrigerator and ... had his pants unzipped, and he was exposing himself to me."

Quinnett said she was shocked and asked him what he was doing there.

"I tried to take a few steps, and he already ... had come forward and grabbed me ... and twisted my arm, and started ... forcing me to the ground."

Mesa police described Blalock's attack on Quinnett as brutal.

"One of the worst beatings I've ever seen," said Det. Jerry Gissel.

Quinnett survived the attack. She said she immediately suspected Blalock might also be responsible for Mikelle's disappearance and contacted the Biggses to tell them about her suspicions.

"I had talked to Tracy," she said. "I told her I felt very strongly. He was their closure. He was the answer."

THE REST AT THIS LINK:

Did Convicted Rapist Kidnap Missing Girl?

This year marked 11 years since Mikelle Biggs, 11, of Mesa, disappeared in a high-profile case that received national attention.

Mikelle was last seen riding her bicycle near her home on Jan. 2, 1999.

It was a little before 6 p.m. when Mikelle heard the bells of an ice cream truck and asked her mom, Tracy Biggs, for money. Mikelle and her younger sister, Kimber, then 9, went to the corner of El Moro and Toltec to wait for the ice cream truck, according to police.

But Kimber got cold and went back to their home four doors away on El Moro to get a jacket.

A neighbor driving by saw Mikelle standing alone on the corner under the street lamp with her sisters bicycle.

Tracy Biggs sent Kimber back outside to fetch her sister, but Mikelle was gone.

Her bike was discovered a little closer to the house, lying on its side with the wheel still spinning, police said.

Police dogs picked up her scent but lost it within a few feet, leading investigators to believe she was placed into a vehicle and driven away.
But all ice cream truck drivers in the area were cleared in the case, and Mikelle was never found.

She would now be 22 years old.

Certain that Mikelle is dead, the Biggs family buried a white casket on Jan. 2, 2004.

Its logical to think that after cases go on for an extended amount of time, the outcome is not going to be a good one, Lowery said. We dont want to provide false hope, but we dont want to abandon it, either.

:bump: with an old article:

Family holds services for girl missing 5 years

Snipped:

"I just needed the psychological part of it — a place to be able to come and visit Mikelle," Darien Biggs said after the service, as he sat at the Mesa City Cemetery. "Right now, I’m still emotional — I’m trying not to cry — but I’m glad it’s over. It seems that most of the stress and anxiety of the past five years will be over — life will be more normal than it has been for a long time."

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/news/article_9248cced-0914-5313-bc8d-4fc5f1e50d30.html

And a picture of the gravestone they had made:

A6Ac45Fl.jpg

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=43532193&PIpi=85501683

Another older article -- this one is from earlier this year:

Father of Mikelle Biggs talks about his daughter's disappearance
by Stella Inger
azfamily.com
Posted on May 7, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Updated Thursday, May 9 at 12:33 PM

Snipped:

"There's a little tiny part that hopes that someday she'll knock on my door and there will be my 26-year-old Mikelle, instead of the 11-year-old Mikelle. Do I really believe it's going to happen? No," Biggs said.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Father...t-his-daughters-disappearance--206534951.html

I finally watched the 20/20 segment on Mikelle Biggs and it's a very frustrating case. There was no physical evidence and no one saw anything (allegedly). In the (almost) 16 years since this happened, there still really aren't any credible leads. I know the parents believe that one guy who lived in the neighborhood had something to do with it but it just doesn't sound very credible. With regards to the parents, I think LE focused too much on the dad and some time was lost. Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and it's easy to say this now but even back then it seemed unlikely, imo.

The only update on the 20/20 segment was that the one woman who was attacked severely by the POI is now in prison herself for second degree murder.

I watched a special on Mikelle's case this morning. I am also not sold on Blalock. The victimology involved in the cases he was convicted of point pretty definitely away from pedophilia.

The detectives interviewed mentioned an attempted abduction of a nine-year-old girl from a public park within the same time-frame of Michelle's disappearance. A composite was produced but no suspect was ever identified. Eyewitness testimony is not without its own problems but its worth noting that the police sketch looks nothing like Dee Blalock.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back