2009.05.22 Hearing to request reduced bond for Peterson

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=295488&src=2

Brodsky plans to ask the judge to reduce Peterson's bond to less than $500,000. He called Peterson a "model client" with a good civic record who never fled despite traveling to places such as California, Florida and Mexico during the long probe.

Brodsky also said the four-member defense team has not ruled out asking that a special prosecutor be brought in since Peterson, as a former cop, has worked alongside some of those who are seeking his conviction.

"We are going to fight this case every step of the way," Brodsky said. "We're going to see him exonerated and walk out the courthouse a free man."

Prosecutors and the women's families oppose any bond reduction.

http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/2009/05/22/updates/breaking_news/doc4a1693680514a557098218.txt

JOLIET, Ill. | Drew Peterson is headed back to court as his attorneys ask a judge to reduce his $20 million bond.

A judge will hear arguments Friday afternoon over whether the former Bolingbrook police sergeant's bond should be reduced, allowing him a chance to get out of jail pending trial.

with two dead wives I think they should increase his bail.
No chance to go anywhere, cause he is capable of doing something slimy and slick. :behindbar safe place for him.

Good Morning Paintr, The bail is set against a charge on Kathleen, so I'm wondering if there will be consideration given by the judge to not reduce jail with the fact a body has been found which might be Stacy. Ta, and thanks for the O/P.

Good Morning Paintr, The bail is set against a charge on Kathleen, so I'm wondering if there will be consideration given by the judge to not reduce jail with the fact a body has been found which might be Stacy. Ta, and thanks for the O/P.

Good morning, scandi.:) I am hoping that bond stays just as is or it is decided there should be no bond. LE is being cautious in the media, but I wonder if they have a better idea if the remains found are Stacy, than they are saying. If evidence is indeed leaning towards this being Stacy, I hope that can be taken into account, even if that can't be announced publically.

ITA Paintr, Do you know if there will be arguments on each side or will the judge already have her mind made up?

ITA Paintr, Do you know if there will be arguments on each side or will the judge already have her mind made up?

If it follows other bond hearings, there will be arguments, at least submitted on paper to the judge. I wonder if the judge will delay giving a decision, pending the DNA results on the remains. I doubt it tho because, even if this is Stacy, there is probably no evidence with the remains to directly implicate Drew.

The results of this hearing should be interesting. There must have been compelling evidence to grant the original high bond. Wonder if we will hear any of the reasons it was set so high.

I dont think the judge can really take those remains found into account yet, as there have been no charges brought regarding her. All the charges before him currently are regarding KS.

Now some reasonable arguement may be made that he has a hsitory of untoward things happening to women around him, at this point facing 1st degree murder he really has nothing to lose, and he may be viewed as a clear threat to his current gf (who just hired Gloria Alread while he has been in jail). But I am not sure how much of that will fly without some formal request from her or her lawyer.

RAISE IT RAISE IT RAISE IT - everyone together now! RAISE IT RAISE IT!! Wasting valuable court time for that you - know - what!

I think NO BOND would be more appropriate anyway. Wouldn't it be great if the new Judge just said, "Forget about lowering it!" and decides to change the other order? :)

I think NO BOND would be more appropriate anyway. Wouldn't it be great if the new Judge just said, "Forget about lowering it!" and decides to change the other order? :)

Would the Judge be able to do this or would the prosecution need to submit a motion?

Would the Judge be able to do this or would the prosecution need to submit a motion?
The Judge can do whatever he wants as far as I know (not a legal eagle here tho). I would think since he is new...he could change the other ruling which set bond. (I could be very wrong on this one and maybe it is only wishful thinking. LOL)

The Judge can do whatever he wants as far as I know (not a legal eagle here tho). I would think since he is new...he could change the other ruling which set bond. (I could be very wrong on this one and maybe it is only wishful thinking. LOL)

I agree, I think the judge should be able to do what ever he wants but didn't know if he were bound by the law.

Hearing was supposed to start at 1:30. Wonder when we will hear something.

I dont think the judge can really take those remains found into account yet, as there have been no charges brought regarding her. All the charges before him currently are regarding KS.

Now some reasonable arguement may be made that he has a hsitory of untoward things happening to women around him, at this point facing 1st degree murder he really has nothing to lose, and he may be viewed as a clear threat to his current gf (who just hired Gloria Alread while he has been in jail). But I am not sure how much of that will fly without some formal request from her or her lawyer.

I'm not an attorney, but DP was indicted for the murder of Kathleen Savio. I believe the judge has to stay within the limits of that murder indictment. I don't think she will legally be able to consider the possibility that remains found this week might be Stacy Peterson and another victim of DP, without an indictment for that death.

The prosecution should argue that DP is a flight risk. Although he's never fled before when he visited places out-of-state, he wasn't under a first-degree murder indictment at those times. Now, he has nothing to lose - stay and face a lengthy prison term and possibly life in prison, or take a chance on disappearing. He knows he might get caught eventually, but he might get a few more years of freedom before that happens.

If the remains found are Stacy's, he knows it, and it would be all the more reason to flee.

He is charged with First Degree Murder. We have seen many, many who were not allowed bond of any kind. What makes this case any different?

He is charged with First Degree Murder. We have seen many, many who were not allowed bond of any kind. What makes this case any different?

I think he should never been offered bond, but that's just me. Guess now his lawyer can argue that Drew has ties to the community, kids, house, girlfriend, job at the cat house, didn't run before....everything but sterling character. :)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back