ZFG lawsuit gives defense a one-up

pregodego2

Inactive
Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else think this has gone too far with the ZFG lawsuit? This should have been postponed if possible until after the murder trial. We're hearing all the information and testimonies of all these "witnesses" and so are the defense team. They can now easily plan their defense better after knowing what everyone else will already say while on the stand for the murder trial.

I just think this is absurd. Never have I seen so much info put out there beforehand.

Is it just me or does anyone else think this has gone too far with the ZFG lawsuit? This should have been postponed if possible until after the murder trial. We're hearing all the information and testimonies of all these "witnesses" and so are the defense team. They can now easily plan their defense better after knowing what everyone else will already say while on the stand for the murder trial.

I just think this is absurd. Never have I seen so much info put out there beforehand.

I think the attorney's for ZG are doing a great job.:clap:

They are trying to get to the real truth here.:woohoo::woohoo:

The A's have lied so much during this entire saga, that needs to be stopped, they want to blame someone else for the murder of that poor baby Caylee.:behindbar

They should have kept their lying conniving mouth shut! Hope they are both charged with Obstruction:mad:

Ok maybe my post came across wrong.. I don't have an opinion on the lawyers or how the trial is bieng held. I just worry about the effect of letting the Casey murder defense team know exactly what people will be claiming on the stand will give the defense an unfair advantage.

Guess we know so much cuz of the Sunshine Law. Is the Law in Fla.

I know the law of FL...

nevermind. I'll go back to lurking.

Don't go back to lurkin.
Maybe I'm not understanding where you are goin?

Is there something in the depos that you are seeing as different from the police interviews which has given you cause for concern? I haven't watched all the depos taken by Morgan but it seemed to me that Annie's depo was pretty much the same as her interview with LE. I don't believe Morgan is interviewing anyone that LE hasn't already interviewed so I don't see a issue there.

Also, the defense gets a copy of everything that the prosecution has against Casey so they would have access to much of this info regardless of the Morgan depos.

I'm sorry if I've not caught your point but would love to discuss it further.

I understand your concern and thought at first the civil case was going to be a huge distraction. The more I thought about it though (and admittedly after the CA/GA depo's), I realized the far greater advantage will be for the prosecution. IMO, the only thing the defense is getting out of this is validation there is no Zanny or any hint of anyone else either. Without a Zanny/Nanny/Anyone else, I don't see much defense for an absolute denial no matter how much advance knowledge they have. IMO of course!

I completely agree with you! While watching it I would think this is "the" trial, not one for ZFG. 99% of the questions seem as though they'd be asked of the prosecution for the murder case, not a slander case.

I see this lawsuit as a leveling of the playing field and yes, some much needed karma. I don't think a civil suit happens often before the criminal trial, most attorneys like to wait to see if there is a guilty verdict from the criminal trial, before taking it to a jury in a civil trial. The lies this "family" has told has hindered the investigation into the death of their Granddaughter, Caylee, this lawsuit, IMO, is a bit of payback and justice.

I understand your concern, and shared it earlier on. Still, the real reason we have all this information before the criminal trial takes place is due to the Sunshine Law, the A's craving for media attention, and the very strange events and characters that keep cropping up. Also, don't forget JB can and is holding his own depos of state witnesses.

Most civil suits held after criminal trials are "wrongful death suits", I think. ZFG's life was turned upside down in July 2008, regardless of whether KC is found guilty of murder, or not.

I understand your concern, and shared it earlier on. Still, the real reason we have all this information before the criminal trial takes place is due to the Sunshine Law, the A's craving for media attention, and the very strange events and characters that keep cropping up. Also, don't forget JB can and is holding his own depos of state witnesses.

Most civil suits held after criminal trials are "wrongful death suits", I think. ZFG's life was turned upside down in July 2008, regardless of whether KC is found guilty of murder, or not.
That's right, I was thinking wrongful death instead of defamation...

I understand your concern and thought at first the civil case was going to be a huge distraction. The more I thought about it though (and admittedly after the CA/GA depo's), I realized the far greater advantage will be for the prosecution. IMO, the only thing the defense is getting out of this is validation there is no Zanny or any hint of anyone else either. Without a Zanny/Nanny/Anyone else, I don't see much defense for an absolute denial no matter how much advance knowledge they have. IMO of course!

I'm with Tinker...I think the advantadge is to the prosecution. It will be interesting, though, to see how the state handles what the Anthonys said initially vs. what is being said now during the depos. Having said that, I do agree to some extent that the defense will have a slight 'bonus' hearing what people are thinking right now. But, sofar, for me, the evidence is enough to point to the real murderer of Caylee and nothing that CA, GA or LA have said thus far in the depos. has changed my opinion.

You're probably not a lawyer (or a Florida one at that) so I can see how the issues are confusing.

Re: Surprises for Defense Team

Florida law does not really allow for surprises at trial. The defense already knows (if they do their own depositions and read the State's depos which they are required to give to the defense) essentially what each witness is going to say. The "wild card" involves asking the witnesses on the stand questions to which one does not know the answer beforehand. Other than that, essentially all the information is or should be already known (or able to be known) to both the State and the defense. These civil depos do not really change or add to this fact. The Perry Mason moments for either the State or the defense in Florida are rare.

What the civil depos do enhance for the criminal trial is giving both sides one more opportunity (one more bite of the apple, if you will) of having a witness under oath, answering questions (by a civil attorney with a wide latitude), for which they may be able to use in the criminal trial (even as impeachment material).

Sunshine Law:
This is why we as the Public are able to "see" what is going on before trial. Whether we were seeing it or not both the State and the defense in Florida have all this information. No surprises.

If you are saying that if we did not have the Sunshine Law that the defense would not "see" the extra Morgan depos then maybe I can see what you are saying. All the other depos (for the criminal trial) are already shared between the State and the Defense. However, the Morgan depos (in a "unrelated" civil trial) would not automatically be shared. However, one could obtain the depos either way. Yes, the fact that Morgan puts the depos up on the website makes it "easier" for the defense and the State but I assert they could get those depos anyway.

Whether the civil trial should have commenced before the criminal trial:
This was a decision by the trial judge as he deemed it was acceptable to go forward before the conclusion of the criminal trial and this is where we stand.

Is there something in the depos that you are seeing as different from the police interviews which has given you cause for concern? I haven't watched all the depos taken by Morgan but it seemed to me that Annie's depo was pretty much the same as her interview with LE. I don't believe Morgan is interviewing anyone that LE hasn't already interviewed so I don't see a issue there.

Also, the defense gets a copy of everything that the prosecution has against Casey so they would have access to much of this info regardless of the Morgan depos.

I'm sorry if I've not caught your point but would love to discuss it further.

I don't see the concern either. Frankly, it is just another "bite at the apple" for both sides to see a witness under oath answering many of the same types of questions. Both sides should have already deposed these same witnesses and Florida law requires both sides to share that information.

It is confusing for some people from other states who do not have experience with Florida law. Some states allow surprises at trial and allow an attorney to bring in a "surprise witness". This does not happen here. We have our witness lists given to each side and constantly updated. The depositions are shared. Like I mentioned in another post, if both sides DO THEIR HOMEWORK and read the other side's homework (heh) then there should not be surprises unless a witness changes their statement or is asked a question that was not in their depos (this does happen).

Both sides are hearing all of this. There's just as much of a chance it is helping the prosecution as it is the defense.

I can see where the media exposure, and intense scrutiny of CA and GA's lies, umm... I mean statements, could help prepare CA and GA for trial. For example, at one point CA stated that she had written a suicide note back in July or August. Many here picked up on the fact that seemed like an admission she knew Caylee was dead. It seems highly unlikely she would have comtemplated suicide if she truly BELIEVED Caylee was still alive. On her last LKL appearance she made a point of clarifying that the stress involved with a missing child was the reason for her suicidal thoughts. (Which tells me her slip up was brought to her attention.) I would prefer to see her get tripped up under oath in front of a judge and jury.

Yea, but what better way to get it all down as public record.
There have been so many inconsistencies here, perhaps the SA will use much of what's been testified to as a means to impeach a witness or two. I'm sure M and M asked for LE's blessings before they proceeded, don't ya think? My gut feeling tells me they would never want to jeopardize the criminal case. JMHO

Thanks for all the informative posts, I was also originally concerned that the civil trial happening 1st may somehow give opportunity to use it as a mistrial in the criminal one.

Maybe someone else can give me ideas about a thought I've had. It appears that so many are attempting to profit from this in one way or another. I know ZFG was put in a bad light but yet I myself accepted that the police had dismissed this ZFG as a suspect completely right away. When I saw the video of CA stating that Casey told her she had not seen a line-up I just saw CA as a mother that didn't take the correct approach by speaking privately with the detectives about her concern.

What I wonder is why Sawgrass isn't also named in this civil suit. Only to cover all basis? I know they didn't defame ZFG but that she visited that apartment on that particular day still makes me think that there was some leak. I do believe in coincidents but this one is a bit much imo. ZFG should be going after them for any posibility that there was a leak & therefore gave opportunity for Casey to create this story naming her.
Please let me know if I am way off on that?

(the reason I've considered this is I lived in an apartment where later I discovered certain people had keys and information that they should not have had)

Thanks for all the informative posts, I was also originally concerned that the civil trial happening 1st may somehow give opportunity to use it as a mistrial in the criminal one.

Maybe someone else can give me ideas about a thought I've had. It appears that so many are attempting to profit from this in one way or another. I know ZFG was put in a bad light but yet I myself accepted that the police had dismissed this ZFG as a suspect completely right away. When I saw the video of CA stating that Casey told her she had not seen a line-up I just saw CA as a mother that didn't take the correct approach by speaking privately with the detectives about her concern.

What I wonder is why Sawgrass isn't also named in this civil suit. Only to cover all basis? I know they didn't defame ZFG but that she visited that apartment on that particular day still makes me think that there was some leak. I do believe in coincidents but this one is a bit much imo. ZFG should be going after them for any posibility that there was a leak & therefore gave opportunity for Casey to create this story naming her.
Please let me know if I am way off on that?

(the reason I've considered this is I lived in an apartment where later I discovered certain people had keys and information that they should not have had)
So you're asking how Casey got the information?

Oh my, it seems we discussed that for hours on end early on. I do know that the employees had been questioned, but only LE would know anything (if there is anything to know) at this point. I got the impression that there was no wrongdoing on SG's part. The big question-if there's any reality in all this- is how Casey crossed paths with ZFG?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back