GUILTY IL - Trenton Booker, 13, dies in hit & run, Chicago PD officer charged, 22 May 2009

laura08

Reaction score
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/05/24/Chicago-cop-charged-in-hit-and-run-death/UPI-94941243196852/

CHICAGO, May 24 (UPI) -- Prosecutors say they've charged a veteran Chicago police officer with reckless homicide in the hit-and-run death of a 13-year-old boy.

Richard Bolling, 39, has been slapped with charges of aggravated driving under the influence, leaving the scene of an accident where a death or injury occurred and reckless homicide in the death of Trenton Booker, The Chicago Tribune reported.

This is heartbreaking. That poor little boy. He shouldn't have been out at that time of night but it shouldn't have cost him his life. I wonder if he could have been saved had the officer stopped and got help. I feel bad the boy's family and especially his friend who witnessed it.

I know someone (through a friend) that did the same thing. He was drunk and ran over a young man (in his twenties) who was leaving his fiance's home. If he had only stopped to offer assistance and call someone the young man would had lived. He did serve jail time but even now when I see him in the grocery store I wonder what kind of person can do that. I would rather be put away for DUI and harming someone then know that I killed someone because my freedom was more important than the other person's life.

I am NOT EXCUSING ANY DRUNK DRIVER, but I think sometimes they are so drunk, they think they've hit a dear or just a bump in the road. Not saying it was the case here, but after all, if people can be drunk enough to drive head on into approaching traffic, can they really discern a pedestrian or bike rider? Having said that, even if he had not hit anyone, this is inexcusable. Police HAVE to be held to higher standards and he should not have been drunk much less driving to begin with. Same with speeding. It absolutely burns me to see any law enforcement vehicle speeding when they're not on a call or pursuit. It's rare I ever see one obeying posted speed limits or even staying within 5 mph of the posted speed limit. Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic, but this is one of my pet peeves. You are the law, you are NOT ABOVE THE LAW!!

I'm pretty angry about this. I've never, EVER been so drunk (and I've been really drunk-ugh tequila) that I've even considered driving, or letting someone else drunk drive. Maybe I'm an unusually rational drunk but I have a real problem with people thinking it's okay.

As a cop and a human being, no matter what he hit, he should have stopped to check it out. Poor boy might have lived and he wouldn't be in as bad of a situation as he's in now

From January 2012:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...hard-bolling-trenton-booker-hit-and-run-crash

A Cook County jury today convicted Chicago police Officer Richard Bolling of aggravated drunken driving and reckless homicide in a hit-and-run crash that killed 13-year-old boy as he rode his bike late at night.

The jury also found Bolling, 43, guilty of leaving the scene of an accident.

From March 2012:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...ichard-bolling-trenton-booker-police-officers

Judge Matthew Coghlan sentenced Bolling to 3 years in prison for his conviction on charges of aggravated DUI, reckless homicide and leaving the scene of a fatal accident... Coghlan also ordered that Bolling, after his release from prison, talk to recruits at the Chicago Police Academy about his experience and educate the department on "how to properly handle an investigation into one of their own."

Evidence at trial showed that Bolling had received preferential treatment from other officers that night... One of the two officers who stopped him testified that she was ordered to "hold off" on field sobriety tests by her watch commander... It wasn't until 4 1/2 hours after the crash that Bolling, on orders of an internal affairs sergeant, took a blood-alcohol breath test...

The Tribune reported last month that the watch commander was suspended 10 days for his handling of the case but no one else was ever disciplined.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back