Obama nominates Sotomayor to U.S. Supreme Court

DollyPardonMe

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Yay!! Looks like Our NEXT Supreme Court Justice is a websleuther at Heart!!

Judge Sonia Sotomayor knew she wanted to go into law from an early age.
Sonia Sotomayor says the nomination is the "most humbling honor " of her life.

As a child, she aspired to be like Nancy Drew, the detective in the popular children's mystery series. But at the age of 8, she was diagnosed with diabetes and told she would not be able to pursue that line of work.

Sotomayor said it was another fictional character that inspired her next choice.

"I noticed that [defense attorney] Perry Mason was involved in a lot of the same kinds of investigative work that I had been fascinated with reading Nancy Drew, so I decided to become a lawyer," Sotomayor told the American Bar Association publication in 2000. "Once I focused on becoming a lawyer, I never deviated from that goal."

Read More Here:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/26/sotomayor.bio/index.html

I'm more of a Scooby Doo gal, myself, but from what I've read, I like her nonetheless :D

I read that about the Nancy Drew mysteries; and I said - OMG that's when I got started loving reading, etc. (I didn't go to law school though)

She has OUTSTANDING experience and qualifications. We need another woman on the bench; she'll be the first hispanic.

It will be a slam dunk. IMO

While I think she's a good pick, this is another perspective that you might like to read.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/27/shapiro.scotus.identity/index.html

Although she's less qualified than the others, she's very human and the fact that she's Hispanic gives her a different quality all of her own. Hispanics, minorities, and immigrants in general grow up in a different world than that of whites. Not saying that it's better or worse, just different. I think it's important to see such a diversified government. Being bi-racial, although I'm not hispanic, it makes me proud to be a minority in America.

Well I've done some reading and one of the few things I like about her is the fact that she loved Nancy Drew, as I did.

I think she is a horrible pick but will probably get the nomination.

I'm having some second thoughts about her. I think she's well qualified, and very intelligent, but I will have to see some of her beliefs during the confirmation hearings. I am pro-choice; and she is Catholic Latina - some of her case decisions involving abortion have been ambiguous. I would have to know her feeling about Roe vs. Wade.

I preferred Diane Wood, from the University of Texas Law School, because I know what a great school that is. I would have to know more about her experience also.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back