PA PA - Martha, 17, & Sandra Stiver, 14, Philadelphia, 1968

Marilynilpa

Reaction score
i wonder what was going on in the girls lives that there is no exact date of last seen. sandy was only 14 and it doesnt give an age for martha but says she is sandy's sister in law so we can assume she was married to sandy's brother so surely he would know the last day he saw his sister and wife. late spring or early summer is all it says but it gives a street corner where they were last seen? were they not reported missing at the time? if not, why not? were they considered to be runaways? was there some reason the family thought they may have just left?
i read where sandy's sister was looking at them for two uid in berks co. i wonder if anything ever came of that? the berks co. girls had some jewelry that might could be identified and even tho they were found 3+ miles apart, the shoes that were found with them looked to be identical from the photo so its highly possible the two girls were connected in some way. if it is them they need to be identified and returned to their families. if its not them, they need to be identified and returned to their families. im not a sleuth but i have learned a little from watching ya'll for a year and a half so im gonna give this one a go. if i find any answers i will be back to post.

Any updates? Thats really weird they don't know when they went missing. on the pennsylvania missing site from the first post, family assumes they went missing when it was summer because windows were open. What does that mean? Doesn't make sense.

These two were recently accounted for. The in-laws were the two Jane Does I remembered as "the girls with pictures" from Berks County. Here are a few links.

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regio...om-potters-field-in-cumru-identified/26363530
"Authorities have identified two women whose remains, buried decades ago, were exhumed from their graves in Berks County last fall. DNA testing done on the remains since they were unearthed from the old potter's field in Cumru Township in October led to the women being identified as Sandra Ann Stiver and Martha Evelyn Stiver, sisters-in-law from Philadelphia, state police and the coroner announced during a news conference Friday afternoon."

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/46-Year-Old-Missing-Person-Case-Solved-262131561.html
"The teens were last seen near the intersection of Frankford and Kensington avenues in the city's Frankford section during the early summer of 1968, according to PennsylvaniaMissing.Com, a website that tracks missing and unidentified persons in the state. The Stiver family had recently relocated to Philly from Kansas City, Mo. and relatives believed the two girls were heading back to their former hometown, the site says."

Here is their profile on the PA Missing Persons website:
http://pennsylvaniamissing.com/stivergirls.html

Here is their forum:
Identified! PA - Berks Co. 2 WhtFems Photos Found in Hangar, 1968-69, Martha & Sandra Stiver - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Wow, and after it looked like the testing had hit a dead end. So glad they have their identities back.

Very pleased.

it is sad that two young girls go missing for so long and nobody suspected anything, only that one might have gone back to her old city but what about the other girl?
it has been 46 years too long
14 and 17, too young
any possible suspects, could it have been a domestic dispute?
go in peace...

lupus est homini *advertiser censored*, non *advertiser censored*, non quom qualis sit novit

Thankful 2 more now have their identity back & will be able to return home to their loved ones. May they find the killer.

it is sad that two young girls go missing for so long and nobody suspected anything, only that one might have gone back to her old city but what about the other girl?
it has been 46 years too long
14 and 17, too young
any possible suspects, could it have been a domestic dispute?
go in peace...

lupus est homini *advertiser censored*, non *advertiser censored*, non quom qualis sit novit

I'm pretty sure LE will be looking into the person who owned the airplane hangar (where the photos were found). I don't want to point fingers, because there is a chance that this person wasn't involved, but I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't at least know some details of their murders.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20140609_Prayers_answered_for_kin_of_2_teens_last_seen_in_Frankford_in_1968.html

The Philadelphia Police detective's business card sat in Russell Samuel Stiver's wallet for years, long after Stiver left the city, his large family reduced by two.

Once a year, whether he was living in Missouri or Ohio, Stiver would drive his Ford station wagon back to Philly alone, to find out if police or anyone else had seen or heard from his daughter Sandra or daughter-in-law Martha.

One day soon, three of Stiver's children - Hazel, Tom and Patrick - will drive back to Pennsylvania, 46 years after Sandy and Marty went missing. They will return to Ohio with Sandy's remains, and with the hope that they'll be able to bury a lingering question.

I'm pretty sure LE will be looking into the person who owned the airplane hangar (where the photos were found). I don't want to point fingers, because there is a chance that this person wasn't involved, but I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't at least know some details of their murders.

With his past even if he's completely innocent of this crime, he's got to at least be sweating a little bit more the past few nights!

So have the girls in the photos been identified? I haven't really followed this case, but the photos have always stayed in the back of my mind. But I think there's a chance of them being still alive. Could DN create separate pages for these two girls, if they [DN] wanted to?

This sounds like a long shot, but the photo girls could have been employed with Expo, or more likely tourists. There's more than 27 different countries that these girls could have been from.

Should I start a thread for them, now that any possible link with the girls seems to have been ruled out?

So have the girls in the photos been identified? I haven't really followed this case, but the photos have always stayed in the back of my mind. But I think there's a chance of them being still alive. Could DN create separate pages for these two girls, if they [DN] wanted to?

This sounds like a long shot, but the photo girls could have been employed with Expo, or more likely tourists. There's more than 27 different countries that these girls could have been from.

Should I start a thread for them, now that any possible link with the girls seems to have been ruled out?

The photos are of the 2 girls that were ID'd. I believe they were younger in the pics

Thnx. I am seeing the resemblance now.

I'm pretty sure a family member saw those photos, which is what sparked the investigation into whether they were the Stiver sisters.

How sad that their father, who was so dedicated to looking for them, died without ever knowing what had happened.

so it was them! thank you bflocket for bringing the update. i haven't been around here much, but i remember years ago that i had a feeling this was them. now, how did they get there and who put them there?

I am glad that these two girls have now been identified after all these years. In my first post I included both Jane Doe cases and the photo information which seemed to link them together.

Part of the mystery is solved and the next phase begins - who killed them? Were they ever listed as missing persons?

Only two years ago, another Philadelphia missing person/John Doe case from 1968 was solved. That of Robert Daniel Corriveau, Corporal, US Marine Corps. It would seem that his murder occurred only three months after the Stiver girls. I wonder if there might be a connection.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back