ID ID - Stephanie Crane, 9, Challis, 11 Oct 1993

lindsay

Reaction score
NCMC784139c1.jpg

Date Of Birth: September 28, 1984
Age at Time of Disappearance: 8 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'2; 65-85 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown thick, wavy hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: Stephanie has a cowlick on the right side of her hairline
Clothing: Maroon and white striped hooded shirt with the word "Gimme" on the front, maroon sweatpants, maroon and white shoes.
Other: Some agencies spell Stephanie's middle name "Lynn."

Case Type: Non Family Abduction
DOB: Sep 28, 1984
Missing Date: Oct 11, 1993
Age Now: 21
Missing City: CHALLIS
Missing State : ID
Missing Country: United States
Case Number: NCMC784139

NCME

Charley Project

Anniversary of Stephanie Crane's Disappearance
Oct. 11, 2008

It has been 15 years since the disappearance of a Challis girl.

On October 11, 1993, Stephanie Crane reportedly left a bowling alley around 6pm to go home.

She was last seen walking towards Challis High School.

At that time, she was 9 years old, 4'2" tall and weighed about 85 pounds.

Now, 15 years later, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children is once again asking for the public's help in locating her.

http://www.kidk.com/news/30753669.html

I was a senior in high school in Idaho when she went missing. I remember the news reports a bit.
Stephanie had a personal alarm on her. When she was taken, she managed to activate it. She either dropped it or her kidnapped disposed of it. It was some kind of alarm that just continues to make noise to bring help. Some young boys found it and buried it when they couldn't turn it off. They reported it to police after her disappearance was in the news.
She was right down the street from her house.
I hate that there has never been any news whatsoever about her. Nothing.
I can't imagine how so many people just vanish. It seems impossible that no one has found anything or slipped up and told anyone after 18 long years.

Stephanie Crane has been missing from Idaho for 18 years today.

Charley Project -MISSING: Stephanie Lyn Crane - Challis ID, 1993

‎9-year-old Stephanie Lyn Crane was last seen leaving a bowling alley in Challis, Idaho around 6:00 pm on October 11, 1993. An extensive search of the area and across multiple counties turned up no sign of her. Authorities believe Stephanie was taken against her will by a stranger.

I was reading the comment by ravenwitch. I was also a senior in high school living near Challis. Geographically, the area is very isolated. One 2 lane highway runs north and south through the area. That goes into Montana and lower Idaho. Another goes through Stanley into Ketchum. There is a very scary dirt road, Trail Creek, between Sun Valley and Challis area through the national forest. The town is surrounded by forests, wilderness, old mines and such. It is very isolated. I have spent tons of time backpacking, hiking and camping in the area. I also was a camp counselor near there. I do not think, given the remote location and lack of cellular towers in that area at the time, that Stephanie had any type of alert device. Due to the socioeconomics of the area and the family income, a device like that in the 1990's would be far from their budget. In the area at the time, many people still left their keys in their cars, doors unlocked, etc. I have read in places that it is believed the man who is responsible for the Amber Hoopes case abducted Stephanie. I have never believed this. I am more likely to think someone local (as in from that part of Idaho) familiar with the area surrounding Challis was involved. This case has always been on my mind and I have always had a feeling it was someone from the community where I am from. There has never been much information on this case.

I agree that it seems unlikely that a 9 year old girl walking home in such a small town would have an alarm in 1993. She seems too young. The town is so small and seemed safe. Growing up, I knew one girl who had one and she was much older the Stephanie.

I still very clearly remember reading about it in the papers and discussing it at school. I always wondered why no one heard it and came to see what was going on while she was being taken. And why would she have one in the first place?

Any updates????
Any other missing girls from around this time span and area? It's likely if the took her and got away with it, shes not the first or last.

Thinking of Stephanie Crane today. What happened to this little girl?

I think about her often, too. She is the reason I came to WS. I used to live near there and would backpack, hike and camp a lot. There are so many places to hide a child's body (sorry) where it would never be found. If she was killed, I would hope LE was looking into locals and seasonal crews stationed for forest fires, etc.

Locals...not just Challis, but, Ketchum, Hailey, Stanley, etc. There is a pass that is unpaved, but frequently used, called trail creek that goes from Sun Valley to the highway Challis is on. It doesn't show on google maps, but, there are many roads linking various towns in the area. It has to be someone familiar with the area mainly because, they would have to know where to drive without running into private property, dead ends, washed out roads, etc.

I also know hunting season begins in October, this year it is October 10th for Regular Deer. I am not sure what the dates were in 1993, but, I would hope LE would have searched those with tags and registered at campsites with the park system in Challis and surrounding areas as well. Here is topo map of ther area by Idaho Fish and Game...this is helpful to understand the region.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/mapcenter/

I guess, I always felt it was someone very familiar with the area. I was not fully convinced it was MH because the ages of the girls were very different. Any ideas?

I also think it must have been someone local. Like many others who have similar circumstances to Stephanie, they are never far from where they are taken from, definitely not out of state. I hope they find her, there is always hope. Any other girls or kids go missing in that area around that time frame?

There are no missing kids or women in the years before or after in Idaho. It seems strange. Did whoever took her stop after this? That is really unlikely. I really hope to see this case solved someday. There has to be some evidence or some gossip or something.

There are no missing kids or women in the years before or after in Idaho. It seems strange. Did whoever took her stop after this? That is really unlikely. I really hope to see this case solved someday. There has to be some evidence or some gossip or something.

There are some cases in the 1970's and 1980's, but they were adult women. there was also 3 young 2 year old boys in the early 80's as well. In the 1990's there was a younger girl from Nampa, but, it is thopught she ran away to Mexico with an older male. I think the original focus was on Stephanies uncle who was recently released from prison or something. But, I think while they narrowed in on him, they missed other things. :twocents:

Custer County Remembers Missing Girl

Stephanie Crane would have celebrated her 28th birthday today. Stephanie has been missing now for 19 years.

[snip]

“You know, it doesn’t matter even if they think it’s just nothing, if they think of something or think they know something just give us a call or just write us a letter, you know they can remain anonymous but we will check into everything that comes in” said Linda Dubiel of the Custer County Sheriff’s Office.

If you have any tips you can reach the Custer County Sheriff’s Office at 208-879-2232

More: http://m.kpvi.com/display/5076/story/40c0d57901f83464a36e6da897414f32

I was a senior in high school in Idaho when she went missing. I remember the news reports a bit.
Stephanie had a personal alarm on her. When she was taken, she managed to activate it. She either dropped it or her kidnapped disposed of it. It was some kind of alarm that just continues to make noise to bring help. Some young boys found it and buried it when they couldn't turn it off. They reported it to police after her disappearance was in the news.
She was right down the street from her house.
I hate that there has never been any news whatsoever about her. Nothing.
I can't imagine how so many people just vanish. It seems impossible that no one has found anything or slipped up and told anyone after 18 long years.

It scares me to death how many people target children. I was always protective of my children and they used to get so mad at me but better safe than sorry. my daughter and her three daughters live with us and I have talked to my girls about how many children come up missing and what to do if strangers or even neighbors not well known to them try and get them to go somewhere with them. It is sad that this little girls parents did send her out with an alarm but it did not help. it really scares me as a grandparent that the world is so full of evil people:furious:

Does anyone know if the Speed Freak Killers were in Idaho at all? These creeps went EVERYWHERE to kill on the west side, and if they did take Michaela Garect, I wouldn't put it past them to have taken Stephanie, if they were around Challis in this time frame. Just a thought,

Hmmm the SFK is interesting.... I don't know if they were in Idaho. But an interesting proposition. Did they kill anyone outside of CA? I know they are suspected in many, but besides Michaela Garect does anyone know what else they are suspected in?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back