GUILTY FL - Olivia Madison Garcia, 1, dies of head trauma, Ocoee, 4 Oct 2008

White Rain

Reaction score
We've learned the oldest daughter of Billy Bob Thornton has been charged with child neglect in the death of a 1-year-old she was babysitting.

Amanda Brumfield told cops the child died in October after falling from her playpen, but a spokesman for the Ocoee Police Department said Amanda Brumfield's story didn't add up.

An autopsy determined the child suffered a fractured skull and a subdural hematoma due to blunt trauma.
more: http://www.tmz.com/2009/05/31/billy-bob-thornton-daughter--arrested/

From same article

UPDATE -- A rep for Thornton sent TMZ this statement: "Mr. Thornton is estranged from Amanda and has had no contact with her for quite some time, however when informed about this situation he commented that, 'Anytime a baby's life is lost is an unimaginable tragedy and my heart goes out to the baby's family and loved ones.'"

How old is Amanda? I couldn't find that. TIA for anyone that knows.

She looks like her father. Curious wording with the use of "estranged". It makes me think there is more to that use of wording that meets the eye. I don't see why his name was drug into it but I'm a bit obtuse today.

I'm sorry for the family that lost their precious child.

Thanks Hester for the article. She's a grown woman and should face the full consequences of the death of the child she was left in charge of...

From same article

UPDATE -- A rep for Thornton sent TMZ this statement: "Mr. Thornton is estranged from Amanda and has had no contact with her for quite some time, however when informed about this situation he commented that, 'Anytime a baby's life is lost is an unimaginable tragedy and my heart goes out to the baby's family and loved ones.'"

Maybe it's just me, but this child is still Thornton's grandchild. What's with "my heart goes out to the baby's family and loved ones?" Shouldn't he be considered family, a loved one?

Maybe it's just me, but this child is still Thornton's grandchild. What's with "my heart goes out to the baby's family and loved ones?" Shouldn't he be considered family, a loved one?

She was the babysitter for the child. I don't think she was the mother.

So this happened last October? Wonder why she wasn't charged earlier?

http://www.bnd.com/167/story/789864.html?storylink=omni_popular

Report: Billy Bob Thornton's daughter charged in girl's death
The Associated Press

OCOEE, Fla. -- The oldest daughter of Billy Bob Thornton faces charges in the death of a 1-year-old girl she was babysitting in October, a celebrity gossip Web site reported Sunday.

Ocoee (oh COH' ee) police confirmed that 29-year-old Amanda Brumfield is charged with child neglect causing harm or disability and was in custody.

Web site tmz.com reported she is Thornton's daughter, but police spokesman Lee Stephens said the police records department was closed Sunday and he couldn't find out whether Brumfield is related to Thornton.

Brumfield told detectives that a girl she was babysitting hit her head in a fall in an Ocoee home on Oct. 3, Detective James Berish said in a news release. Brumfield called for help more than two hours later when she couldn't revive the girl, police in the city near Orlando said.

An autopsy determined the girl had a fractured skull and brain injury. The medical examiner ruled the death a homicide and said the explanation Brumfield gave was inconsistent with the child's injuries, police said.

Thornton's publicist Arnold Robinson said the actor has not had contact with Brumfield for quite some time.

He wouldn't confirm that Brumfield was the woman arrested, but that when Thornton was "informed about this situation" he commented that, "Anytime a baby's life is lost is an unimaginable tragedy and my heart goes out to the baby's family and loved ones."

Police did not know whether Brumfield had an attorney.

http://www.bnd.com/167/story/789864.html?storylink=omni_popular

Report: Billy Bob Thornton's daughter charged in girl's death
The Associated Press

OCOEE, Fla. -- The oldest daughter of Billy Bob Thornton faces charges in the death of a 1-year-old girl she was babysitting in October, a celebrity gossip Web site reported Sunday.

Ocoee (oh COH' ee) police confirmed that 29-year-old Amanda Brumfield is charged with child neglect causing harm or disability and was in custody.

Web site tmz.com reported she is Thornton's daughter, but police spokesman Lee Stephens said the police records department was closed Sunday and he couldn't find out whether Brumfield is related to Thornton.

Brumfield told detectives that a girl she was babysitting hit her head in a fall in an Ocoee home on Oct. 3, Detective James Berish said in a news release. Brumfield called for help more than two hours later when she couldn't revive the girl, police in the city near Orlando said.

An autopsy determined the girl had a fractured skull and brain injury. The medical examiner ruled the death a homicide and said the explanation Brumfield gave was inconsistent with the child's injuries, police said.

Thornton's publicist Arnold Robinson said the actor has not had contact with Brumfield for quite some time.

He wouldn't confirm that Brumfield was the woman arrested, but that when Thornton was "informed about this situation" he commented that, "Anytime a baby's life is lost is an unimaginable tragedy and my heart goes out to the baby's family and loved ones."

Police did not know whether Brumfield had an attorney.

Thank you for posting this. I caught some of this on HLN and misunderstood part of it.

So, the incident happened October 3, 2008. Seven months before she was charged and arrested. I heard she is a mother to 2 children. I hope they are in the care of someone who loves them.

My heart goes out to the families affected by this.

Thank you for posting this. I caught some of this on HLN and misunderstood part of it.

So, the incident happened October 3, 2008. Seven months before she was charged and arrested. I heard she is a mother to 2 children. I hope they are in the care of someone who loves them.

My heart goes out to the families affected by this.

You're welcome :)

Thornton's ex and mother of the woman is defending her daughter likening the matter to Natasha Richardson's death -

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,523842,00.html

This was featured on Nancy Grace tonight. They also released the 911 tapes, and aired them as well.

My thoughts and prayers really go out to the family. How terrible. :(

I am surprised there wasn't an agg. murder charge filed in light of the autopsy results!

Yeah, I watched this on NG last night too. Horrible, senseless tragedy. I heard she was watching not only Olivia, the baby that died but Olivia's sibling and her own two children that night. From the autopsy results I'm thinking not so good thoughts about this chick. Sounds like she might have been overwhelmed watching the 4 of them and lashed out at Olivia if perhaps she was cranky/fussy.

Yup he sure does. I got a couple different kind of whoopie lights up there in my head. :wink:

The part that got me was the text she sent and i can't recall the exact words but something like "i perfected the landing". She also stated the baby was eating and seemed fine after the fall 28' inches from the playpen to the floor i think it was but the baby had a deep cut on her tongue so i don't see how that baby could have been eating anything. Also from the articles i have read,Billy Bob (that sounds so funny even typing it) dosen't have anything to do with her. It was noted that she waited 2 1/2 hours before she called for help and she said she painted the baby's toe-nails just before she noticed her limp on the couch. I didn't know that Olivia was her god daughter either.

RIP sweet baby.

Gosh, I sure am surprised to hear that Billy Bob doesn't have anything to do with his daughter, Amanda B! He's such an all around great guy that I thought for sure he'd be not just Man o the Year, but Daddy o the Year too!

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/06/02/2009-06-02_911_call_released_.html

"A harrowing 911 call released Monday reveals the desperate bid Billy Bob Thornton's estranged daughter made to save the life of her one-year-old goddaughter.
In a call lasting about seven minutes, Amanda Brumfield is heard frantically administering CPR to the child, who had been left in her care, while her husband receives medical instructions from an operator."

dmk, I wonder if the husbands involvement could explain why it took so long for charges to be filed... LE investigated both AB and her husband maybe.

Edit: There's also a recording of the 911 call right next to the article. I couldn't get it to play, but maybe other's will have better luck. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back