Family of Dying Girl Gets Burial Plans Denied - Sad Story

WhyaDuck?

Inactive
Reaction score
A couple who moved back to Newfoundland so their terminally ill daughter could spend her final days with family say they were shocked to have had their request to buy adjoining plots at the cemetery turned down.

"We asked to have our daughter buried between myself and my wife," David Engram told CBC News, describing the request the family made to the Interfaith Cemetery in Carbonear.

To their shock, the committee managing the cemetery sent back a rejection in writing, explaining that the cemetery does not sell three plots together.

"They say they only do single and double plots — singles if a child dies or someone dies and they bury them in a single, and a double for a husband and wife," Engram said.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundla...06/19/family-grave-carbonear-619.html?ref=rss

I wish there was something that could be done for this family, or that they can find accommodation in another cemetery. This is a good reminder that, within reason, rules should always be tempered with humanity.

What would happen if a whole family died at the same time (i.e. car accident)? Would they have to be separated up into different cemeteries, according to this rule?

I suppose they denied the application because plot prices keep raising and they don't want to let so many go at once - it would be the grave equivalent of letting go three rent controlled apartments, even though two of the tenants wouldn't move in for 50 years. I really think they need to reconsider when the child is this young.

Besides, if people have the money to buy plots, why is come faceless (and seemingly heartless) committee judging them this way?

It's a sad story - best wishes to this family. They don't need this kind of thing at this time.

Here is the address of one of the churches running the cemetery, in case you want to hear their side of the story, or find more info, etc. Sadly, I couldn't find an email address.

Bethany United Church
2 Church Street Carbonear NF, A1Y 1A9
Phone: (709) 596-6754 Church
Alternate Phone: (709) 596-6137 Residence
Fax: (709) 596-0336

Bethany United Church manages the Bethany United Church Cemetery, Carbonear North; as well as, Park Avenue United Cemetery, Carbonear South. Both of these cemeteries are now closed for new plots. Bethany United Church along with St. James Anglican Church and St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church now operate a new Interfaith Cemetery, located at Cemetery Road off Highroad North.

Very sad indeed. My aunt was buried deeper so that her son could be on top of her because of a cemetary rule. Maybe they could do that. OR cremation??? Very sad.

Is there a reason they can't just buy one single plot and one double plot? Am I missing something here?

Is there a reason they can't just buy one single plot and one double plot? Am I missing something here?

The committee says they could buy one set of plots for husband and wife, or one plot for the girl, but that they could not buy all three at the same time.

I'm confused about that rule, as well.

a double plot would mean husband and wife are buried side by side but the couple interested in purchasing the plots here wants their daughter buried in between them which would mean the couple wouldn't be buried side by side. so in effect they cannot purchase a double plot. i don't get why they can't buy three singles... ?

to hold semantics as the reason to deny a purchase as this one is very sad. and pathetic.

i hope the ppl running this cemetery never have to bury a child.

The committee says they could buy one set of plots for husband and wife, or one plot for the girl, but that they could not buy all three at the same time.

I'm confused about that rule, as well.

It is probably about space management. The single plots are most likely in a different part of the cemetery, where the depth does not allow for a double burial plot. If they want to bury her in between them they would need to buy three plots in a row, if available, depending on the age of the cemetery that might not be available. Or if they are available in the area that allows for double burial plots they would have to buy all three doubles.

When we buried my mother in law she had been a property owner and resident of the town for 30 plus years but we could not buy her a plot in the town cemetery because we as the purchasers were not residents and she had not bought hers in advance. It was a huge headache to deal with in the middle of everything else, we had to find a resident that hadn't bought their limit of spaces that was willing to buy the plot for us. She was killed by her husband and the boys wanted to be assured dear old dad couldn't buy the plot next to her so there were all sorts of logistics in choosing the space and buying the one next to it. I never knew it was so complicated.

The issues I have with this is (1) the extremely young age of the child - it seems that there should be leeway for small children, as I can totally see the parents' emotional desire not to send such a small child off alone in the cemetery (yes, even dead), and (2) it's a new cemetery, so they should have space.

Anyway, I do hope that some other cemetery will step up on this one.

A couple who moved back to Newfoundland so their terminally ill daughter could spend her final days with family say they were shocked to have had their request to buy adjoining plots at the cemetery turned down.

"We asked to have our daughter buried between myself and my wife," David Engram told CBC News, describing the request the family made to the Interfaith Cemetery in Carbonear.

To their shock, the committee managing the cemetery sent back a rejection in writing, explaining that the cemetery does not sell three plots together.

"They say they only do single and double plots — singles if a child dies or someone dies and they bury them in a single, and a double for a husband and wife," Engram said.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundla...06/19/family-grave-carbonear-619.html?ref=rss

I wish there was something that could be done for this family, or that they can find accommodation in another cemetery. This is a good reminder that, within reason, rules should always be tempered with humanity.

What would happen if a whole family died at the same time (i.e. car accident)? Would they have to be separated up into different cemeteries, according to this rule?

I suppose they denied the application because plot prices keep raising and they don't want to let so many go at once - it would be the grave equivalent of letting go three rent controlled apartments, even though two of the tenants wouldn't move in for 50 years. I really think they need to reconsider when the child is this young.

Besides, if people have the money to buy plots, why is come faceless (and seemingly heartless) committee judging them this way?

It's a sad story - best wishes to this family. They don't need this kind of thing at this time.

Seems like Newfoundland doesn't know what the meaning of humanity is..Remember the story of Dear Zachary, where the mother killed little Zacharys father and instead of giving the baby to the grandparents to raise and extraditing her to the US, she killed herself and baby Zack...What's going to have to happen to these dang agencies before they wake up and realize people are human, have feelings and deserve respect!!!

This was very sad and so creul. I am so happy they changed their minds. My God rest this little soul.

Seems like Newfoundland doesn't know what the meaning of humanity is..Remember the story of Dear Zachary, where the mother killed little Zacharys father and instead of giving the baby to the grandparents to raise and extraditing her to the US, she killed herself and baby Zack...What's going to have to happen to these dang agencies before they wake up and realize people are human, have feelings and deserve respect!!!

Actually, in my experience, Newfoundland is a great place and Newfoundlanders are quite compassionate people, and full of humanity and spirit.

Thanks for the update, Red!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back