Boy fighting to live after bacteria in lake causes an infection

Oh this poor boy and his family. I am praying for them and for his full recovery.

This is heartbreaking. To think an afternoon of fun may cost him his life.

God bless him and his family.

Just so sad. I hope he recovers but poor child will never be the same again.

How awful. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Oh how sad it says he has lost half his nose and mouth, and they are not sure if the infection has reached his brain. Prayers for this family.

This is heartbreaking. I am praying for this young boy and his family.

Terrible!

I actually have known 3 people who contracted bacterial menengitis from a lake. Two lived but where very ill for a long time. The other was a young boy and he fell ill just hours after swimming in lake tarpon and died the next morning.

They actually close beaches in certain areas around here when the algae or bacterial levels reach above a certain level because it is dangerous.

This happened to several children in Orlando last year. When the water temperatures rise due to extreme air temps the bacteria thrive. It is a very serious concern and I really don't think enough mention has been made of it given the heat wave many parts of the country are experiencing. I do not allow my children to swim in ponds or lakes unless the water temp is actually cool to cold. Many times when kids jump in off of high dives and from trees the water is forced up their nose and into their sinus cavity. It is a very thin membrane that protects the brain, and when that bacteria makes its way in it is often too late to realize the damage that has been done. I hope everyone will be extra careful this summer and keep those kiddo's safe.

My son, who will be 8 Wednesday, wanted a birthday party at the lake but after reading this, I just don't feel comfortable with it.

jesus, this poor boy. I hope he lives.

I hate the water cause I just don't know what's down there. People always tease me about it but oh well.

Sad part is, you think, since he's young/healthy it would barely affect him. I hope it doesn't reach his brain, at least he'd have a chance at a relatively normal life.

How sad. This is why lakes and ponds always scare me. I hope he can pull through this, and that the bacteria hasn't reached his brain yet.

This worries me, but I'm glad the boy is better. I always warn my daughter and her family to never swallow any lake water or get it in their noses when they go boating and what not to various Texas lakes, but of course I'm paranoid mom. It not only could contain parasites but various bacteria.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back