GUILTY UK - Holly Agius, 14 mos, dies of methadone OD, Coleford, 12 Jan 2009

WhyaDuck?

Inactive
Reaction score
Woman charged with poisoning baby

A woman has been charged with poisoning her daughter after she died from a suspected methadone overdose.

Holly Agius, 14 months, died at the Gloucestershire Royal Hospital after being found "in a poorly condition" at her home near Coleford on 12 January.

Her mother, Bonny Richards, 27, and an unnamed man, 31, have each been charged with two counts of administering poison with intent to endanger life.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/gloucestershire/8134463.stm

WTH? "administering poison with the intent to endanger life"? The baby DIED, so why isn't this a murder charge?

I will never understand why killing your baby doesn't net you as much as killing some adult. Injecting a baby with poison is just the same as shooting an adult, IMO. A baby's life shouldn't be treated so cheaply.

Munchausen by proxy, gone awry, perhaps?

That is possible, though when an "unnamed man" is associated, I tend to think it was strait-up murder.

Though the abuse charges seem to fit if they've been watching her file for a while and the baby has had a string of health problems.

Poor little baby.

We differ a little in thinking. I think baby murderers should get more time even. Babies are so innocent and cannot defend themselves - at all.

We differ a little in thinking. I think baby murderers should get more time even. Babies are so innocent and cannot defend themselves - at all.

Yes - and when you kill a baby, you kill so much potential.

I hate these stories. Why do so many people kill their babies? I mean, killing any baby is unthinkable, but your own...? Completely outside the realm of morality.

I despair.

More info out today:

Was this tragic baby killed by her mother's methadone?
By ANDY DOLAN
Last updated at 1:21 AM on 03rd March 2009

A baby has died from a suspected methadone overdose while in the care of her drug-addict mother.

Holly Agius was found 'in an extremely poorly condition' in her cot by her mother Bonny Richards.

Doctors initially believed the 14-month-old had died of meningitis after mistaking chicken pox spots for the disease's tell-tale rash.

But a month later, 27-year-old Miss Richards - who has been an addict since she was 16 - was arrested along with her 30-year-old boyfriend on suspicion of administering a poison.

Both have since been bailed but must report to police on Thursday.

Yesterday, as social services launched an inquiry into Holly's death, a source revealed that the agency has had no contact with the family since the baby's birth - despite her mother being a registered drug addict.

This is because health workers are under no obligation to tell their social work colleagues that a newborn baby is potentially at risk.

He said: 'Apparently, the health visitor was shocked when she heard what had happened because Bonny always kept any appointments she had concerning Holly.

'I know she kept the methadone in a locked cupboard out of the children's reach. There's no way she would have deliberately tried to harm them.

'Holly had been ill with chicken pox and I know Bonny was struggling a bit with all the crying.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1158507/Was-tragic-baby-killed-mothers-methadone.html

From May 2011:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-13441255

Recording a narrative verdict at the inquest in Cheltenham, the coroner found Holly had died from bronchial pneumonia and chickenpox...

Richards, then 28, was jailed for 15 months and Davies, then 32, of Scowles in Gloucestershire, was jailed for 18 months in July 2010. They had both admitted three counts of child cruelty towards the little girl...

The coroner found the drug, which the couple both had on prescription, had played a part in Holly's death but so did the fact that she was not given any medical treatment as her illness developed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back