Happy or hungry? Cat purrs send different messages

Dark Knight

Reaction score
NEW YORK – A cat's purr normally says, "I'm happy." But a new study suggests some purrs send cat owners a much different message: "Feed me!"

Researchers found that purrs of hungry cats included a higher-pitched sound, somewhat like a cry or meow. They played recordings of these purrs from 10 cats to 50 human volunteers. Even people who'd never owned a cat found them to be more urgent and less pleasant than contented purrs from the same animals.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090714/ap_on_sc/us_sci_purrsonal_message

Dark Knight, It appears my Sheba does this when she is hungry and I can tell the difference in the purrs. Boy, that cat never stops eating and I loves to puke too. I have to keep cutting her food. Poor little thing.

Thanks for the story.

Goz

Wow...You know, when my cats are in the kitchen and wanting to be feed I have noticed that they get this high pitched almost "chirping" sounding purr. They do it while rubbing their heads on my legs and feet! They're definitely asking to be fed!

Thanks for the post, Dark Knight!

Not being catty..lol but I wonder if they got a grant to do this study? It's interesting but I can't see what purpose it serves in the long run. I'll bet the government payed for it.

I've got two cats that I love dearly. I've never noticed them purring when they want to eat. One just yells as loud as possible in cat language when her dish is almost empty. The other is a quiet cat and she lets the loud one do the talking. They really purr up a storm when they are happy. Maybe mine cats are a little odd as they don't purr when they are hungary.

Wow...You know, when my cats are in the kitchen and wanting to be feed I have noticed that they get this high pitched almost "chirping" sounding purr. They do it while rubbing their heads on my legs and feet! They're definitely asking to be fed!

Thanks for the post, Dark Knight!
Mine do the same thing, also rubbing against the kitchen cupboards and the corner of a wall between the dining room and kitchen. They also like to rub up against the box containing the moist food pouches. :D

Not being catty..lol but I wonder if they got a grant to do this study? It's interesting but I can't see what purpose it serves in the long run. I'll bet the government payed for it.

I've got two cats that I love dearly. I've never noticed them purring when they want to eat. One just yells as loud as possible in cat language when her dish is almost empty. The other is a quiet cat and she lets the loud one do the talking. They really purr up a storm when they are happy. Maybe mine cats are a little odd as they don't purr when they are hungary.

Sounds like my two cats. My cats do not purr when they are hungry either. They have other ways to let me know they are hungry. But they sure can purr when they are content or happy.

One of my cats simply STARES at me when hungry. She will put herself in your path or on stand on your body and will drill holes into you with her yellow-eyed stare. The other chirps and chirps and chirps on a loop. I have a hard time saying "they were hungry" because the bowl is nearly always full with dry food. But they become obnoxious and relentless if they want their "treat" food. I wonder if this study was confusing "purring" with the hunger chirp.

when my Zoe is hungry (every morning at 7:00) she meows over and over and over and over until you feed her....she is very vocal and meows for everything even in response when you talk to her....she is 14 and a huge part of our family...

Mine will bite the back of my calf when he's hungry.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back