Today's Current News - ***NO DISCUSSIONS HERE PLEASE *** - 16 July 2009

Angel Who Cares

If you seek an angel with an open heart, you shall
Reaction score
2009.07.16 Today's Current News - ***NO DISCUSSIONS HERE PLEASE ***

“Every day that goes by is just agony”
Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:12 AM PDT
<snipped>
Lindsey Baum&#8217;s mother says she doesn&#8217;t know how she still gets up in the morning, except for the steadfast belief that her 11-year-old daughter will come home soon.

&#8220;It gets worse and worse every day that goes by,&#8221; Melissa Baum said. &#8220;I still feel in my heart that I know she&#8217;s alive, but every day that goes by is just agony.&#8221;

Scott Baum, a member of the Tennessee National Guard now in McCleary to help the search, said he longs to see his outgoing, talkative little girl and wants her home.

&#8220;Whoever has her, I&#8217;m sure she&#8217;s talking their ear off,&#8221; he said. &#8220;I miss talking to her on the phone. I miss seeing her.&#8221;

Investigators have been following tips and leads, he said, while also searching hundreds of Web sites that might provide a clue on Lindsey&#8217;s disappearance.

&#8220;The volume of information we have to work with is huge to say the least,&#8221; Scott said. &#8220;We&#8217;re just trying to pore through that to find the piece that&#8217;s going to bring Lindsey home.&#8221;

Scott Baum briefly discussed his plans to return to Tennessee soon, saying he still faces a possible deployment to Iraq, but may be able to remain in the country while the search continues. Members of his unit and other National Guard members have contacted him to offer support.

Either way, he said he must return to Tennessee to deal with personal responsibilities and affairs. He said he will still be available to investigators to offer any help he can.

&#8220;I&#8217;ve got stuff going on in Tennessee,&#8221; he said. &#8220;I can&#8217;t just drop everything and search, I wish that I could.&#8221;

Lindsey Baum&#8217;s parents, Scott and Melissa Baum, speak with reporters outside the McCleary Police Station as the search for their 11-year-old daughter nears the three-week mark. Grays Harbor Undersheriff Rick Scott stands to the right.
doc4a5f687d0cf7a062190395.jpg

Article:
http://www.thedailyworld.com/articles/2009/07/16/local_news/doc4a5f687d0cf7a062190395.txt

BAUM FAMILY PLEADS WITH PUBLIC: "DON'T FORGET LINDSEY"
July 16, 2009
<snipped>
The parents of a missing McCleary girl are pleading with the public to keep the image of their daughter in their mind. Scott and Melissa Baum spoke to local media on Wednesday morning as the search for 11 year old Lindsey Baum approaches the 3 week mark.

After days of searching and questioning, many things in McCleary have begun to return to normal, but for Lindsey's family life still continues to consist of worrying, waiting and keeping hope alive. Melissa Baum says she feels in her heart that Lindsey is still alive and as time passes she does not want that belief to disappear in the community. Undersheriff Rick Scott says while the manpower has been reduced and the headquarters of the search moved from McCleary, investigators are a long way from giving up hope of a successful conclusion. One of their goals now is to ensure the public feels the same way. Scott says the public still needs to remember Lindsey's image and continue to call in tips. Images of Lindsey continue to be posted at public buildings and businesses as well as on-line at websites like www.lindseybaum.com and www.findlindseybaum.com. Any information can be called into 866 915 8299.

Article:
http://www.kxro.com/Article.asp?id=1389133&spid=

BAUM FAMILY QUESTIONS AMBER ALERT SYSTEM
July 16, 2009
<snipped>
The mother of a missing McCleary girl is raising questions about the Amber Alert system. The system is designed to inundate the media and law enforcement with images and information on abducted children. However, when Lindsey Baum went missing on June 26th, no Amber Alert was issued because it didn't meet the criteria and Melissa Baum thinks that needs to change. Amber Alert guidelines require the disappearance to be a confirmed abduction, require the child to be at risk for bodily harm and require sufficient descriptive information on the victim, suspect and abduction.Melissa Baum says those Advertisement guidelines hindered the immediate notification of all law enforcement and media of Lindsey's disappearance. Undersheriff Rick Scott says his office shares the the Baum's frustration and at the least says the case may lead to change, since many Sheriff's and police chiefs are talking about loosening the guidelines. Scott says the Baum case did involve many of the aspects of an Amber Alert, but that more work was needed to notify all necessary parties. Scott says the investigation into the Baum case is continuing but that while there are several leads, their is little evidence to support those leads.

Article:
http://www.kxro.com/Article.asp?id=1415538&spid=

No Lindsey news
July 16, 2009
<snipped>
McCLEARY &#8212; &#8220;Unfortunately, there&#8217;s nothing new&#8221; in the search for 11-year-old Lindsey Baum of McCleary, who vanished from a McCleary street almost three weeks ago, Grays Harbor County Chief Criminal Deputy Dave Pimentel said Tuesday.

&#8220;There&#8217;s tips coming in but nothing that&#8217;s panned out so far,&#8221; Pimentel said, adding that there were still FBI agents and detectives working on the case &#8220;on a daily basis.&#8221;

Lindsey, who was 10 at the time, is reported to have left a friend&#8217;s house in the 600 block of Maple Street about 9:15 p.m. Friday, June 26, heading for her own home six or seven blocks away on East Mommsen Road.

Article:
http://www.thevidette.com/

Police: Is Tumwater child-luring linked to McCleary girl's case?
Story Published: Jul 16, 2009 at 5:20 PM PDT
Story Updated: Jul 16, 2009 at 5:45 PM PDT
<snipped>
Police are investigating whether the attempted abduction of a girl in Tumwater on Wednesday is linked to last month's highly publicized disappearance of 11-year-old Lindsey Baum in McCleary.

Officials say three men tried to kidnap the 14-year-old girl in broad daylight on Wednesday as she was walking along a busy street, but the girl was able to escape by running away.

The close call left the girl very shaken, and now detectives are comparing the similarities between her experience and Lindsey Baum's unexplained disappearance June 26 in McCleary, about 13 miles away.

"We investigate because child lurings aren't as common as most crimes, and when you have two communities that are so close together and the circumstances where obviously it occurred in public areas. And the girls are approximately the same age," says Detective Jen Kolb of the Tumwater Police Department.

The girl now says she believes the men wanted to hurt her.

"In a way, yeah. ... Just the way they were talking to me and trying to come to me," she says.

Kolb said she finds the case "very disturbing" and is struck by the parallels to the disappearance of Lindsey Baum.

VIDEO: Police: Is Tumwater child-luring linked to McCleary girl's case
http://www.komonews.com/news/50980987.html?video=YHI&t=a

Article:
http://www.komonews.com/news/50980987.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members