Body Language #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonders

My opinion's may not alway's be right but they are
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you wonderful WS's could tell me if there is such a thing of body language reading?
If a person is telling a lie will their body language give them away and how about the eye movements of a lier?
TIA

I had posted this on another thread but it hadn't been answred yet (inpatient) and I thought it might be interesting to see what others thought about it.

I was wondering if any of you wonderful WS's could tell me if there is such a thing of body language reading?
If a person is telling a lie will their body language give them away and how about the eye movements of a lier?
TIA

I had posted this on another thread but it hadn't been answred yet (inpatient) and I thought it might be interesting to see what others thought about it.

Great line of thought! Yes, to my knowledge there are experts in this field. I've seen one woman on TV analyzing celebs, politicians, etc. I can't remember her name though. It's fascinating to listen to, b/c apparently people give much away in their body language. I'm no expert, but for example, when you watch GA (particularly in his Morgan depo) he often closes his eyes before answering. I can't remember what the expert said as to this particular "tell" in people, but my impression is GA was lying or trying to distance himself in his answer.

Hi The Eunice Burns,

Thank you for answering.
I thought I had seen something like this myself and I try to watch how people move around during questioning. Like when someone folds their arms in front of themselves I think it means they are in a protective mode.
Wow. Closing ones eye's before answering "lying or distancing" good call I think.
Again thank you so much. I look foward to learning more about this from all of the great people here.

Here are a couple of articles relevant to this topic:

http://www..com/2009/04/body-language-reveals-george-cindy-anthonys-emotions/

http://www.momlogic.com/2008/12/casey_anthony_jail_visitation.php

Both articals are fasinating however when I saw the Ga and Ca depos I also thought Ga was sad and did have enough and Ca, oh yeah she was hopping mad it was very obvious on both of them.

OT
I wonder if Ga would ever spill his guts if he were able to get away from Ca's venom and be around "normal" people.

Both articals are fasinating however when I saw the Ga and Ca depos I also thought Ga was sad and did have enough and Ca, oh yeah she was hopping mad it was very obvious on both of them.

OT
I wonder if Ga would ever spill his guts if he were able to get away from Ca's venom and be around "normal" people.

Among numerous other things I thought interesting in the depos:

CA fussing around w/ her water bottle (How much water does a person need to drink in a 5 minute period?)

The way she put her hands near or on her mouth. At one point, she had them splayed in a very odd fashion. I duplicated it and tried to carry on a conversation. (At one point, the other person asked me what on earth I was doing. LOL) It was very limiting, you can't articulate well when your hands are in that position relative to your mouth. I don't know if this indicates to a pro that she was lying (although,hey. This is CA, she's lying when she's talking) or nervous.

She put her hands behind her head w/ the elbows out at one point. It is a very casual pose. I see my husband do that for instance, when shooting the breeeze w/ a friend. Not the demeanor one would expect to see at a legal proceeding.

Among numerous other things I thought interesting in the depos:

CA fussing around w/ her water bottle (How much water does a person need to drink in a 5 minute period?)

The way she put her hands near or on her mouth. At one point, she had them splayed in a very odd fashion. I duplicated it and tried to carry on a conversation. (At one point, the other person asked me what on earth I was doing. LOL) It was very limiting, you can't articulate well when your hands are in that position relative to your mouth. I don't know if this indicates to a pro that she was lying (although,hey. This is CA, she's lying when she's talking) or nervous.

She put her hands behind her head w/ the elbows out at one point. It is a very casual pose. I see my husband do that for instance, when shooting the breeeze w/ a friend. Not the demeanor one would expect to see at a legal proceeding.
:floorlaugh: I think we need a thread for our personal scientific experiments we have tried relevant to this case. I currently have a peached colored paver out in the elements and will check it out next Dec. to see if it turns white as the one I placed last dec. and pulled up in june. CA had made the comment, "Our pavers are peach, not white" referring to the pavers in the woods. In the beginning I tried to mimick KC walk comming out her house with Handcuffs behind her. Conclusion was (besides my sons thinking I was crazy) KC put an extra hip swoosh arrogance to her walk. "KC Charades" anyone?

:floorlaugh: I think we need a thread for our personal scientific experiments we have tried relevant to this case. I currently have a peached colored paver out in the elements and will check it out next Dec. to see if it turns white as the one I placed last dec. and pulled up in june. CA had made the comment, "Our pavers are peach, not white" referring to the pavers in the woods. In the beginning I tried to mimick KC walk comming out her house with Handcuffs behind her. Conclusion was (besides my sons thinking I was crazy) KC put an extra hip swoosh arrogance to her walk. "KC Charades" anyone?

It's hilarious, but all joking aside, your idea of that thread would be very interesting. I'd love to see what all of you have come up with.

OT, but regarding the pavers.....I would think your paver might turn white. Brick, stone, cement......they are porous. I am in a line of business that deals with this. There is a condition called "efflorescence" when concrete or brick "whites out" due to moisture. The minerals in water will cause that whiting. My husband and I correct this (in some cases, it is impossible if the moisture issue is not addressed) for people who have concrete floors in their homes. In Arizona, it is not as much of a problem as in other areas, but we do have issues w/ water seeping up into the slabs. And it will go very white.

Eunice B we've got to talk! LOL! I went so far as to put the first two pavers in a sludeggy side yard (no french drain) and another in a flat sunny area with very little water. I felt like Bill Nye the science guy. With my experience and your knowledge we may be able to conclude CA came up with a thoery similar to the pizza box. "Really CC?" :crazy: Crazy is as crazy does! Have you tried to dance in spiked boots like KC in that blue dress? LMAO! Brought me back to disco days. I couldn't dance then and sure as heck can't do it now.

Great line of thought! Yes, to my knowledge there are experts in this field. I've seen one woman on TV analyzing celebs, politicians, etc. I can't remember her name though. It's fascinating to listen to, b/c apparently people give much away in their body language. I'm no expert, but for example, when you watch GA (particularly in his Morgan depo) he often closes his eyes before answering. I can't remember what the expert said as to this particular "tell" in people, but my impression is GA was lying or trying to distance himself in his answer.

Problem is.. it doesn't usually work that well with sociopaths. Mostly works with the rest of us.

Eunice B we've got to talk! LOL! I went so far as to put the first two pavers in a sludeggy side yard (no french drain) and another in a flat sunny area with very little water. I felt like Bill Nye the science guy. With my experience and your knowledge we may be able to conclude CA came up with a thoery similar to the pizza box. "Really CC?" :crazy: Crazy is as crazy does! Have you tried to dance in spiked boots like KC in that blue dress? LMAO! Brought me back to disco days. I couldn't dance then and sure as heck can't do it now.

:clap: Very good way to conduct the experiment; you used a control paver. When I first heard CA's protest that their pavers are peach, I thought-- not so fast.....that paver could have whited out in that amount of time.

Heaven help us if I tried to duplicate KC dancing in those boots. I nearly choked on my ice tea when I read that!

TIA

I was watching the jail video visitations and I noticed that when KC speaks about the day Caylee was abducted, a lot of the time she looks down and to the left. I could swear that I've heard one of those experts say that is a sign of lying. I don't have a link tho just something that I think I remember hearing. JMO

It has been stated that approx 97% of communication is NON-VERBAL. Much can be learned/gained by that 97%...compared to the verbal 3%.

TIA

Susan Constantine is in the court room when Casey goes to court. She is a body language expert.
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/pa...tentId=7668919

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2009/1/30/what_anthony39s_body_language_means.html

I was watching the jail video visitations and I noticed that when KC speaks about the day Caylee was abducted, a lot of the time she looks down and to the left. I could swear that I've heard one of those experts say that is a sign of lying. I don't have a link tho just something that I think I remember hearing. JMO

If I remember correctly, Anthony Robbins has a chapter in his first book about eye patterns when people are lying. Very interesting. I think that during interrogations, that is why many questions are asked where the true answe is known so they can determine the person's pattern.

I work in television and recently interviewed a body language expert about clues to deception. He said that when people lie, they tend to look to the left. Another interesting clue is to listen to how they phrase sentences. People who lie tend to NOT use contractions. For instance, a liar might say, "I do not know where she is," as opposed to, "I don't know where she is."

It makes me want to analyze the interviews and jail tapes.

I work in television and recently interviewed a body language expert about clues to deception. He said that when people lie, they tend to look to the left. Another interesting clue is to listen to how they phrase sentences. People who lie tend to NOT use contractions. For instance, a liar might say, "I do not know where she is," as opposed to, "I don't know where she is."

LOL that brings up old memories. When I was married, I used to be able to tell when my then hubby was lying. He couldn't look me in the eyes and he looked to the left. But in a weak moment one time I made the mistake of telling him what his tell was. He quit looking to the left when he lied. But in the effort to keep from looking to the left he would widen his eyes much wider than natural. It really became easier to tell.

Body language is so fascinating, even though lately it's going a bit TV pseudoscience a lot of the time with people trying to pretend that it's much more scientific/objective/defined than it is, calling themselves "experts" in it, etc. However, we all read body language and could probably identify many of the same gestures and expressions that do mean the same things to us. At the same time, we recognize that body language is also unique to the individual to some degree, for example, we know that a particular gesture by one person indicates evasiveness but might not for someone else, etc, and a lot of body language even down to facial expressions is influenced by culture and so on.

In this case, some of the body language that has really jumped out at me has been Casey's eye movements and compulsive hand movements.
The irises of her eyes are in almost constant motion. When she's talking to someone her eyes are usually continually jumping back and forth, right and left. I tried doing this and it's really hard to do, it's actually hard to focus when you do it.
Also, she has compulsive rituals she does with her hands. She has one where she traces around each fingernail with the tip of her thumb, starting at the pinkie and working her way fingertip by fingertip up to the index finger, then index finger circles around the thumbnail, then finally brushes her fingertips together like getting rid of lint or something, and then repeating. She also picks at her fingernails compulsively and even goes as far to pick at the lines on the palms of her hands, quite hard.

And, like KC, some of them start their biggest lies with, "In all honesty.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member